Guiders' staff room - tea, wine, chat and optional dancing around the toadstool

(456 Posts)
MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 03-Mar-09 21:57:13

Thought it might be nice to have a place to swap ideas and experiences. Shall we do introductions first?

My name's MadBad and I've been a Brownie guider for about 5 years.

MaudTheGardenTheBlackBatNight Tue 06-Nov-12 03:05:07

Argh! Can anyone suggest anything that actually works for getting parents to pay subs promptly? Mine were due on the first night of term in September - because I wanted to cut down the amount of chasing entailed when payment is due over several weeks - yet I've still got a substantial minority who haven't paid. Gah.

YDdraigGoch Sat 22-Dec-12 21:49:23

Maid - how do you chase up?
We use Facebook, texts and email, so it's not too much bother. There are always some parents who don't pay til almost the end of term though, but we don't really mind.

ISawMommyKissThorinOakenshield Tue 25-Dec-12 23:46:46

I chase up by email, text or face to face, but I've still got one who hasn't paid this term at all. Perhaps I need to learn not to mind, although that feels wrong.

I send a bill out at the end of term, with a named envelope to return the payment in. Subs must be received in the first three weeks of term or a late payment charge of £5 is added. Since we introduced this system we only ever have a couple of parents who "forget" to pay on time, and very rare for them to pay late the following term. I also have my unit helper sitting by the door to take payment so parents find it harder to sneak in and out!!

I do have a couple of parents across my two units who can't afford to pay in one go, so pay weekly (and obviously don't get the late payment charge added).

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 20-Jun-13 20:09:43

So what do we as Leaders think of the new Promise then?

Startail Thu 20-Jun-13 20:19:01

No, I'm an ex Brown Owl and I still forget to pay Scouts, gym, music teacher, school trips etc.

I simply don't carry a cheque book any more, everything goes on credit cards.

Also with older DDs you tend to drop and run, you really need the guider to grab you at the end of the meeting.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 20-Jun-13 20:31:01

Yes, not taking credit cards is probably a disadvantage in this context.

But what do you think of the revamped Promise, Startail? (I'm asking here because the starter of the other thread didn't seem keen to hear from Guiders).

YDdraigGoch Fri 21-Jun-13 17:33:00

I'm not sure how many 7 year olds would understand the phrase "be true to myself and to my beliefs", or even have much scope for that at that age.

"Mum - it's against my beliefs to eat cabbage, I wouldn't be being true to myself"
"Shut up and eat your greens!"
(Am a Snowy Owl)

Groovee Thu 27-Jun-13 13:56:33

I'm non plused about the promise but am happy it's more inclusive to girls we may not have had at brownies.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 28-Jun-13 23:01:41

That's pretty much how I feel, Groovee. We talked about it at this week's meeting, as we have several about to make their Promise so we looked at the difference between old and new versions.

JennyWren Tue 16-Jul-13 23:59:47

Can I ask about tents? We're looking for a mess tent capable of seating about 24 people at a push for a meal/craft in the rain. Are there any lightweight options out there? I have been looking at the Easycamp Boston 600 - we could cook on gas in the canopy area if torrential rain means I can't be outside, and have the Guides use the side entrance to the main area to keep them out of the way. Without putting the inner tent up (we wouldn't need the bedrooms) would that space be big enough?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've looked at the Blackwells Bungalow/mess tents, but they seem so heavy by comparison.

JennyWren Wed 17-Jul-13 00:11:34

Blacks, not Blackwells! Having thought about it, I could cook on gas in my canvas QM tent at a push - that is a huge ridge tent. We could invest in a dining/cook shelter, but £300 for something I'll only use in extremis seems expensive sad

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 17-Jul-13 22:21:03

I know nothing about mess tents. I guess you've looked at the small ads in Guiding magazine?

JennyWren Wed 17-Jul-13 23:32:33

Yes, I had a look there today. It all seems to be the heavy type. I was hoping that I may be able to find someone who perhaps dual purposes their own family tent, or something, who could tell me how they get on. We've decided to borrow another unit's mess tent for this summer. We're going to Anglia '13, so I plan to be really nosy there and see what everyone else is using smile

Picturepuncture Wed 17-Jul-13 23:44:30

Hi Jenny, I'll also be at Anglia 13 grin <waves>

We use an old push up gazebo with no sides to cook under- cheaper than a fire shelter!
Something like this should do it:

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6511524.htm

We also have a mess tent, but I forget its proper name because we always call it something else blush... But it's a bit like this:

www.gooutdoors.co.uk/outwell-georgia-5p-family-tent-p261538

(Expensive though!)

Ps- if this outs me at camp, do me a favour and don't say you saw me on MN!!

JennyWren Fri 19-Jul-13 00:58:33

I'll be discreet, Picturepuncture grin.

I would like to seek you out though, to look at your tent. How many people can sit in it if it is needed as a wet weather shelter. We don't need masses of space - I'm happy to do without chairs, just Guides sitting on the floor with food/a craft on their laps. I think I'm going to have to bring a long tape measure and a notepad with me!

At the moment I am considering a Gelert Meridian 10, with a side porch for wet weather entrance. It is big - 7mx4m - so should have the space we need I think, and is half the price and a fraction of the weight of a traditional canvas mess tent.

Picturepuncture Fri 19-Jul-13 01:14:45

That looks good. I forget how many our mess is 'supposed' to sleep, although we don't actually sleep anyone in there (well we did in may when the wind put paid to one of our other tents hmm but it isn't our intention)!

We're a friendly bunch and we'll talk to anyone about tents at camp grin

Ours most recently seated 16 girls on the floor to eat in a horshoe, with 5 leaders on stools more than comfortably, you'd easily get more in if you needed to ifyswim! (And we had activity equipment stored at the back etc..)

JennyWren Fri 19-Jul-13 02:05:23

I think that I'm going to measure the mess tent we plan to borrow for Anglia '13 and calculate the floor space. The number of girls we're taking this time is as big a group as we're ever likely to take in one go, so we should get an idea from that.

Groovee Sun 21-Jul-13 12:13:56

Oooh ooooh.... finally after a year, we may have a new volunteer coming to help. Arranging to meet with her. This would enable us to increase numbers so very hopeful that this works out.

Picturepuncture Sun 21-Jul-13 16:18:30

That's exciting Groovee, hope it goes well!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 30-Sep-13 17:53:43

Bumping this thread for the (almost) start of term. What's everybody got planned?

Sokmonsta Wed 02-Oct-13 22:08:12

(Skips in under the rainbow, leadership training qual book tucked under arm, bags spilling over with 'stuff' and enthusiasm.)

Wonder what I've let myself in for. As I told my mentor, I've only attended 3 rainbow meetings and that was after I was volunteered to run the pack.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 02-Oct-13 22:36:53

You're doing a fine thing, Sokmonsta!

Sokmonsta Sat 05-Oct-13 21:05:23

I do enjoy it. Have to keep a notebook with me at all times as I keep coming across so many things that the girls would love.

Groovee Sat 12-Oct-13 18:03:21

New volunteer is really good. My assistant is having time off as she needs surgery.

But we've done 3 badges this term and starting a few weeks of Christmas craft after the October holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now