Guitar - what to buy for beginner playing for fun

(8 Posts)
maggiethecat Thu 13-Jun-13 00:34:30

Dd has asked for a guitar for her approaching birthday. As she already plays 2 instruments this is purely for fun (I hope!). I sometimes catch her strumming her violin and so will indulge her.

What would be a decent make for a beginner (not sure what size she'd be) and about how much would I be spending?

OldBeanbagz Thu 13-Jun-13 14:40:30

How old is she?

My DD (11) has an Ashton ¾size guitar. This was recommended by her guitar teacher when she first started.

maggiethecat Fri 14-Jun-13 23:35:32

she's 9 almost 10 but quite petite. will have a look, thanks

Jux Fri 14-Jun-13 23:54:45

Does she want to play classical guitar? They're very different and would totally unsuitable if she wants to play other stuff.

maggiethecat Sat 15-Jun-13 23:36:47

not sure - think she just fancies the look of pop singers with their guitar. she does play lots of classical - violin and piano so it might be nice to have a change.

Jux Sun 16-Jun-13 09:55:50

If it's pop singers she wants to emulate, rather than say John Williams, then get her an electric or electro/accoustic. I'll check things with dh and he'll tell me what sort of strings etc to have.

Jux Sun 16-Jun-13 18:26:10

Folk or parlour sized steel strung guitar. Expect to pay about £100, anything less than that is likely to be a bit suspect.

That's dh's exact words.

Electric. It's usually cheaper to set yourself up with an accoustic first, to see how you go. With an electric you'll need an amp, headphones, strap to start with. Practise amp is about 25 or 30 quid, Squier do an electric for 100 - vey good quality and playability. Leads etc.

Hope that helps.

JohnnyUtah Sun 16-Jun-13 18:28:46

Agree - get her a 3/4 size electro acoustic, you don't need to get the amp to go with it yet. Steel strings. And maybe a copy of the Rifftionary grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now