Music theory books - have any that you no longer use?

(9 Posts)
maggiethecat Sat 01-Jun-13 01:14:08

Have been saying this for a year but have to buckle down now! Has anyone's dc done the grade 5 and wishes to be rid of prep books eg Music theory in practice (answer books too if available), past papers, Take five and pass first time. Would be interested to know - pm me if you like.
Reckon I can take her through a few of the grades before handing her over for lessons -that's the plan anyway!

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 01-Jun-13 15:38:05

None to offer, I'm afraid. But question to ask: we've done the Lina Ng My Third Theory book and everyone quite enjoyed that. What next? It is also my plan to get them through some basics before handing them over for lessons! But I'm hampered by the fact that I had lessons (about a million years ago), and in an environment where we were much more, er, obedient, and didn't question the teacher and memorised everything we were told to memorise... I think hell would freeze over before my children would be happy with that approach. grin

maggiethecat Sat 01-Jun-13 21:51:48

Don't know that series but does it mean that dc are at about grade 3 theory? I would probably let them have a go at past papers (and check the answers) and see if you think they're ready to be passed on to teacher or continue doing what you're doing.
Hear that the Take Five book is pretty good and concise for learning what you need for the exam.

BreakfastCricket Sun 02-Jun-13 10:57:30

Grade 5 from scratch. We went to a music student for theory lessons (same instrument) and shared with a teenager who also needed to pass. Two lessons a month for about six months. Child worked through the work books but saved the past papers until the last month when weekly lessons were arranged and then two extra on the week of exam to mark the papers. Didn't buy any extra books but did buy five sets of past papers and answers which I split with teenager's mum. My tip is to find someone else at the same theory stage and share...

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 02-Jun-13 11:09:56

maggie - The Third Theory book only gets you up to approaching Grade 1. For little kids, really. But will check out past Grade 1 papers. smile

mamaabc Sun 02-Jun-13 20:31:46

Trinity website has lots of past papers as pdf's you can download / print out for free.

maggiethecat Mon 03-Jun-13 16:53:32

Breakfast, how old is your dc? 6 months from scratch is pretty good going. My dd is finding it slow going - think she has an aversion to to it at the moment.
Mama thanks for that - I'll check them out

maggiethecat Mon 03-Jun-13 16:54:53

LordCopper, I might look at those for younger dd whom I believe will actually enjoy theory based on her personality.

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 03-Jun-13 17:53:25

Maggie - the very very first one use stickers. They are really for quite young children. They are also quite gentle. In fact DS2 got a bit impatient, and we skipped the Theory Made Easy for Little Children level 2 and went on to "My first theory book" and then "My third theory book". But DC do like them. They've got pictures and games...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now