Which recorder to buy for a 6-year-old boy? With nice high quality sound.

(34 Posts)
Lovefruitsandvegs Fri 06-Jan-12 21:47:20

I have seen on the internet lots of recorders. Does anyone think that Aulos 205 is a very good recorder? www.amazon.co.uk/Aulos-205-Descant-Recorder-Yellow/dp/B000SQC13A

Which recorders you would not buy?
I do not want to buy just any recorder for a beginner because the bad sound might put my son off playing recorders.
I have read that there are recorders with different sounds. How can I know which one is which.
Thank you.

Lovefruitsandvegs Mon 09-Jan-12 11:52:31

The Aulos recorder has not arrived yet but we have got two Hornby recorder sets from Argos. When the Aulos arrives I will give it to my older DS and I will get his Hornby. Hopefully with the help of Recorder from the Beginning book I will be able to teach all three of us how to play a recorder.

Theas18 Mon 09-Jan-12 13:59:39

DeWe

I don't think you can easily get hard cases made for recorders if the original didn't come with one (if it did then contact the maker for a replacement). It is normal for even descants to be taken apart to put in cases.

Even my low pitch recorder (worth may be £800 shock) lives in one like this

http://www.earlymusicshop.com/product.aspx/en-GB/1002657-ems-9-slot-fleece-lined-recorder-roll-bag-nylon

but it's just a single recorder case.

I have a great bass recorder that lives in a bit of cardboard wrapped inthe old cot duvet because I think I will, eventually make it a case....

You'll have to get a case made by a carpenter/handyman and it'll be heavy if wood so no good for a school kid. I'm thinking I'll ask a coffin maker about my great bass!

Theas18 Mon 09-Jan-12 14:00:11
DeWe Mon 09-Jan-12 17:48:48

The original doesn't come with one.

It basically works with stops and holes. So for the right hand only recorder, blowing with no fingers gives you a G. For notes where you keep the left hand fully on, you just play the notes as normal (low F, E, D, C). For notes where you would have not all the left hand fingers off, you use the stops with your right hand. eg for A you only press the stop down with your 3rd finger.

Dd2's charity has them commissioned for them. There are left hand one too.

I'll see if I can get my dad to make one, I was just hoping there might be an easier (and quicker!) option.

Theas18 Mon 09-Jan-12 20:02:21

I've seen those one handed recorders - they are very clever indeed!

thetasigmamum Wed 01-Feb-12 14:49:43

Theas My husband was moaning about the combined cost of all the recorders just yesterday. grin I think it was the bass that finally pushed him over the edge although it's not as if it was a Kung (just a Mollenhaueur). I mentioned that DD will have to upgrade her descant and especially her treble (which is my first Moeck and which is now......32 years old!) soon or at least after her Grade 7. Since she also needs to upgrade her flute......I'm going to be selling a kidney, I think.

mousymouseprice Wed 01-Feb-12 14:57:41

I second the yamaha ones. I used to work in a shop that sells them (and other recorders) and the plastic yamaha ones were a firm favorite with primary school teachers as they have a good sound, are well tuned and most importantly can go in the dishwasher (gentle cycle) if a yoghurt bursts in the school bag.

edbergayrea Sun 10-Mar-13 17:20:59

I spent a lot of time searching for the best prices. But I still think the best variety and often the best deals are on Amazon: Amazon

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Tue 12-Mar-13 20:04:00

Don't buy a wooden one for a beginner! The cheap wooden ones just aren't worth it, they're mostly made of soft wood and need far too much looking after.
Yamaha and Aulos are both good in different ways.

Good wooden ones are fine once a child really shows an interest and an ability. Plenty of people take Grade 5 and above on plastic. They can be washed, dropped, left in a hot car or out in the garden overnight and won't mind. Wooden ones are rather precious and new ones have to be "played in" gradually over several weeks.

The Moeck plastic/wooden one is nice although I don't think it has a particularly strong sound.

Recorder buying can get surprisingly expensive - we know someone who paid nearly £1,000 for a descant, and the larger sizes are easily that.

Just wish the recorder didn't get such bad press, it's just as valid an instrument, when played properly, as a violin or piano.

The Saunders Recorders website has lots of recorders as well as down to earth information. What the proprieter doesn't know about recorders isn't worth knowing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now