Irish POV: you needed a referendum commission

(40 Posts)
Jeanniejampots80 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:27:26

In Ireland for referendums we have a referendum commission. They are a body responsible for producing unbiased info for both sides in a referendum. They also can force sides to stop campaigning on lies e.g. The 350 million.

It might or might not have changed the result but it sure as hell should have made sure there were less lies bandied about by either side and that no one was voting based on a lie.

stilllovingmysleep Mon 27-Jun-16 21:28:33

That sounds very sensible! Particularly as referendums tend to get really really polarised and divisive

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 27-Jun-16 21:31:20

I think you have more referendums in Ireland so you are a little more clued up on how to manage them.

annandale Mon 27-Jun-16 21:31:21

That sounds ridiculously sensible Jeannie.

I suspect that it would have been hard to create a referendum commission that would have been regarded as independent but it might have tipped the balance.

The Bbc makes huge efforts to be impartial but is routinely said to be biased.

Maybe83 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:34:35

They are actually quite organised. There have been seveal since I was elegible to vote.

To be honest I think if their was a referendum on leaving EU in Ireland it would be a leave result to. Any one I know would have voted out. The bank bail out is still very very fresh in people's memories. The next one will be though the most important in my life time though I think and will be as devise and difficult as this has been for UK.

Jeanniejampots80 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:36:59

Ah Maybe I think the result would be remain as everyone I know would vote stay smile but at least we would have some unbiased info smile

Rinceoir Mon 27-Jun-16 21:40:21

Jeannie I couldn't believe we didn't have an equivalent here- I was looking for my little booklet explaining things! I was talking to my colleagues about it and they all thought it was a great idea, although I suppose we do have a lot more referenda at home.

Maybe83 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:44:11

That is true!

Jeanniejampots80 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:45:28

Do you mean on the border Maybe? I think officially we have a blasphemy one and a voting rights one next and I may be wrong but I read somewhere the border vote would have to be done in NI first and only in south if they say yes. But I may be wrong and yes it would be awful.

BurnTheBlackSuit Mon 27-Jun-16 21:46:00

Maybe- when's Ireland's next referendum?

Jeanniejampots80 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:47:53

Ah yes the little booklet Rinceoir usually yellow, as neutral a colour too smile have to be honest have always found it useful!

Maybe83 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:56:58

Sorry the next devise one I referring was the repeal the 8th although we do need get through the citizens assembly first so the wording etc can be drawn up. Simon Harris was discussing moving that forward today. I can't see one being held regarding the north anytime soon can anyone else?

Jeanniejampots80 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:59:14

Ah yes, when will we get that one. There will def be an age split on that one!!!

Jeanniejampots80 Mon 27-Jun-16 22:00:12

I reckon the border one won't be for a very very long time regardless of Mary Lou practically wanting it this week.

Dontlaugh Mon 27-Jun-16 22:00:37

Do we have the Commission because the outcome of our referenda are binding, hence much more impact on our Constitution? As opposed to the UK, which doesn't have a Constitution and where referendum results are advisory per se, as opposed to binding?
Just pondering, as I am still learning so much from all these threads.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 27-Jun-16 22:01:07

Yes OP totally agree! This ref badly needed an unbiased referee. Once the lies were repeated enough times no amount of sensible presentation of the facts could erase them.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 27-Jun-16 22:02:40

To be honest I think if their was a referendum on leaving EU in Ireland it would be a leave result to.

I sincerely doubt that.

Jeanniejampots80 Mon 27-Jun-16 22:13:02

No Dontlaugh we have it as Patricia McKenna won a Supreme Court case in 1995 I think. She argued that it was uncostitional for Gov funds to only be spent on one side of the argument (whatever side they wanted). Hence the spending on unbiased info for both sides.

Jeanniejampots80 Mon 27-Jun-16 22:13:22

I don't think so either Mitzy

Dontlaugh Mon 27-Jun-16 22:52:56

Every day a school day

mathanxiety Tue 28-Jun-16 06:19:32

After seeing what Brexit has accomplished, I doubt Ireland would vote Leave.

I am still gobsmacked at the result and wondering (not for the first time) at the sheer amateurishness of politicians who sincerely believe themselves to be world leaders and who were treated as world leaders.

ScarletForYa Tue 28-Jun-16 06:29:54

Ireland can't leave, our economy needs Europe too much.

Jeanniejampots80 Tue 28-Jun-16 10:20:04

There is no chance of Ireland leaving. There is no chance even if a referendum on the issue. We may be proud of our country but I don't think anyone who has any sense doesn't realise we are quite tiny and need the EU to survive.

ElspethFlashman Tue 28-Jun-16 10:22:30

I read that 87% of the front page news headlines on the referendum were Leave.

You can't have that here. The Commission shuts that shit down pronto. It has to be 50/50 or else.

Rinceoir Tue 28-Jun-16 12:33:24

No hope of Ireland leaving- there may be some lingering resentment for austerity but on the whole the EU has been good for us. i can't imagine a border going up again either- I think both governments will fight to prevent that from happening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now