Zigo/bakfiets/cristi ania/Cargobike tips please!

(8 Posts)
93pjb Sat 20-Oct-12 23:06:36

I've just bought a zigo and while I love the concept, the reality is a bit trickier... I think it is mainly that I am used to a bike so getting used to a trike with the load at the front is taking time. I guess it's the same for any similar style cargo bike so I was wondering if anyone had any tips? I live in SE London and have a small slight 4yo and a hefty almost 2yo to ferry about

Have friends with Kangaroos and they said the steering took some getting used to. Is there anywhere you can practice without the kids in it? Is there any local cycle training (try council and Sustrans)?

ChristianiaUK Tue 30-Oct-12 08:34:50

With front loading tricycle, it is important to keep the weight on the inside wheel when you turn. So lean towards the direction of the turn.

I have no experience with the Zygo, but the Christiania tricycle has the wheels aligned in a way that makes steering easier. In fact, after a few rides, it becomes so easy that I call it "one finger steering": all you need is just one finger on the handlebar; safe because you have the back pedal brake. Look at this: christianiabikesuk.com/2011/07/27/one-finger-steering/

The advice to try without children is sound; however you will find that the tricycle will be more stable with weight in the box.

wearymum200 Tue 30-Oct-12 20:38:45

I've had my Christiania for 2 yrs now. Got used to the steering in about 2 days (loads of circuits of local cul de sac required). Weight distribution v important, heaviest child near handlebars if applicable.teach them to lean ( we have a partic tight corner with awwful camber, which needs ds1 to move his weight if I'm not to tip if he's the only one in the bike).

MollyElvisFifi Fri 08-Nov-13 18:37:01

Hello ChristianiaUK, I have been following some of the threads that you have given some great advice in. I too am looking to buy a cargo bike and am currently investigating options. I am going to visit the shop in Camden and try out a few options. But in the meantime, I found these guys and wondered if you know anything about them or this bike, as an electrical option may be good for us as we have a few hills on the way to schl, but some of the electrical options are very expensive, whilst these seems good quality and less expensive, many thanks!
www.veloelectrique.co.uk/product/cargo-trike-standard-red-black/

TopsysMum Sat 05-Apr-14 13:54:28

Hi Molly, I have a Christiania for sale if you're still looking? Or anyone else for that matter smile

Clarabumps Sun 06-Apr-14 09:22:27

Hi Topsys MUm, I'm going to PM you about the Christiana.

lhek Sat 11-Oct-14 20:59:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now