Disciplinary investigation meeting

(12 Posts)
hoobnoob Sun 27-Jan-13 20:05:00

I am freaking out and need advice.

I don't want to go into exact details but yesterday at the end of my shift I was handed a letter advising that I need to go to our head office tomorrow for an investigative meeting regarding miss-selling of a product and 'irregularities in a file' but not giving any specific details so i have no idea what I'm meant to have done.
It then says depending on this there may be a further disciplinary meeting.

I work in sales in a commission based role.
As far as I can tell, they can only dismiss me if I have committed gross misconduct which I don't think this is, but I am concerned as due to earning commission, any mis-selling could be classed as fraud, which I know is gross misconduct.

I can only assume that I may have made a mistake but would never have done anything intentionally wrong, is this a valid defence?

The letter said I was not to talk to or contact anyone in my company or enter company property.

I have worked for my company for over 5 years and have never had any disciplinary action against me, in fact I am we'll respected and a top seller.

I have done nothing but cry about this since yesterday and I'm so scared they are going to sack me

Bearcat Sun 27-Jan-13 21:05:51

Hoobnoob
Just want to point you in the direction of Chat on MN, page 2. There is a poster also in an urgent employment predicament and there is a lot of good advice there which will apply to you too.
Wishing you all the best. I too have had great difficulties in very recent times.

hoobnoob Sun 27-Jan-13 21:15:50

Thanks bearcat I found the thread, will have a read

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Mon 28-Jan-13 06:37:19

Right the thing to remember us this is an investigation meeting, so basically they believe they've found something that doesn't look right so need to investigate that. This doesn't automatically mean you will have a disciplinary. Try to remain calm, make notes and do not be afraid to ask them to repeat things if needed. Give factual answers only. Good luck.

hermioneweasley Mon 28-Jan-13 06:52:12

If you genuinely can't think of anything you've done wrong, it's unlikely to be serious - in many years of doing investigations and disciplinaries, I've never done one for gross misconduct where the ndividual wasn't bang to rights.

Just go to the I vestigation and be honest. If it turns out you have done something (unknowingly) come back and post for more advice.

Hope it goes ok

meditrina Mon 28-Jan-13 06:59:11

Pity that the other thread is in "chat" and will go pfft.

I hope the points most likely to be most relevant to you are repeated here, so they stay permanently.

I hope it goes well for you.

Hyperballad Mon 28-Jan-13 07:04:07

Yes remain calm! It is just an investigation at this point. In employment law the employer has to have an investigation meeting before being able to conduct any dicsiplinary meetings so sometimes when in any other situation in life it would probably be be 'just a quick question', employers just have to everything by the book to cover themselves, sometimes making things sound a lot more serious than they are.

Just answer there questions calmly and honestly, if you don't know the answer to a question then don't guess. Ask for some time to get back to them if it's something you need time to look into.

And just keep reminding yourself its just an investigation (a few questions), when you answer their questions and they see you haven't done anything wrong then that should be the end of it.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 28-Jan-13 07:11:46

Stay calm and take your time with your answers. Are you able to take a witness with you? If so take someone and if your in a union give them a call ASAP. Let us know how you get on.

ajandjjmum Mon 28-Jan-13 07:22:04

Surely if it was anything serious they wouldn't have waited until the end of your shift to hand you the letter?

Hope it goes as well as possible today.

hoobnoob Mon 28-Jan-13 21:58:55

It was horrendous but I kept my job and got a warning. It was due to error i made. Thanks for all the advice

pointythings Tue 29-Jan-13 20:51:15

Thank goodness for that, hoobnoob. Very stressful for you, but at least you still have your job.

And we all make mistakes, don't forget that. brew

nikcname Tue 29-Jan-13 22:54:32

That's great!! So scary and stressful though sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now