When/ how did you tell your boss you were pg?

(6 Posts)
Chickchickola Sat 29-Dec-12 19:56:17

Honestly? Find a new job with a larger company with an HR person before I fell pregnant! That's not to say all small companies would handle things the same way so you may (and will hopefully) find that everything is okay.

It's long and complicated what happened to me and to post about it would very much out me but I will send you a private message!

Extraminty Fri 28-Dec-12 21:49:02

Oh dear, Chick that sounds dreadful - what happened? Is there anything you would do differently if you had to go through it again?

Chickchickola Fri 28-Dec-12 17:38:04

I was in a very similar situation and it was a nightmare to be honest. In the end I only had a really short maternity period (weeks not months) and spent the whole of my pregnancy fretting about redundancy (which is a big concern again now). Good luck, I hope it works out better for you than it did me.

Extraminty Fri 28-Dec-12 15:17:33

Thanks Celestial that is good advice. Might print him off the info on directgov! Also reassuring to know that your boss was really nice to you.

Celestialcloud Fri 28-Dec-12 12:42:12

I've no real advise except that all the info on your rights is on direct gov so you can refer him to that. All I did want to say is that I was so so frightened about telling my boss. He'd made comments similar to what you described. But then when I did tell him he was ace (even said 'yay'). I think the fact that you're getting comments means that it won't be that shocking for your md or your team.
It might be a good idea to let your md know but say 'its still early days so let's discuss maternity leave later' that way he can calm down if he needs to and come back to it with a clearer head.

Extraminty Fri 28-Dec-12 11:54:08

I work as deputy director of a small company (7 employees). In practice I don't have much authority except over the finances. The MD is nice, but a bit old fashioned and ever since I joined has been 'joking' about how bad it would be f I got pregnant.

Am now 13 wks. So far have taken a bit of time off with colds/ flu (really MS and tiredness), and have put on a bit of weight, leading to pregnancy 'jokes'. As it's a small company they will be reimbursed for my SMP by the govt, but of course it's a hassle and an expense hiring maternity cover. The MD is clueless and not very PC, and is always looking for a loophole out of situations he doesn't like.

I want to take 1 yr off starting in June. I think I need to present the whole situation to the MD in a way that is as clear as possible about my rights, but not threatening. There is no HR dept and no-one else at work has kids.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation, and do you have any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now