Asked to swap days, but child care costs issues

(4 Posts)
StillSquiffy Fri 05-Oct-12 02:49:18

Why not tell them you are happy to accommodate their requests and switchj days, but will need to claim back the additional childcare expenses that arise when this happens? Makes you look all reasonable and puts ball back in their court.

RedWallflower Thu 04-Oct-12 11:54:38

The days they have asked me to swap are because they are short staffed due to courses etc, and are a once off. I want to help but it will cost me an extra £60 in child care this month.
I think I will speak to the practice manager about it, as if I couldn't swap they would have to employ a locum, costing £200 per day!

slev Thu 04-Oct-12 11:29:07

Have you had the conversation around how it impacts you? Maybe they're asking you to swap because they think it's easily done.

Agree with you about not wanting to look non-obliging but I think you just have to sit down, explain the situation and work out between you how to resolve it. If they're asking you to swap because the days you do currently aren't working as well, maybe you can change your days permanently and change your childcare to match - may work better for them and then you're no worse off. At least that way you look like you're trying to help....

RedWallflower Thu 04-Oct-12 10:15:21

Hi
I work 3 days a week, and twice this month I have been asked to swap days. Whilst I'm happy to help out I have 3 small children, and have paid for fixed days, which I pay for whether the kids are there or not. By swapping I will have to pay for extra days.
Should I just say no and look like a non obliging employee?
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Many thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now