Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Can MIL get a lodger who gets cheap rent in exchange for a bit of company and help around the house?

(7 Posts)
Ginshizz Thu 20-Dec-12 18:05:38

Hi,

MIL lives on her own near clapham junction and has a spare room. She is mostly ok living on her own but she is feeling increasingly anxious and finds it hard to stay on top of things like cleaning, grocery shopping etc. She doesn't want to move out but agrees that a lodger would be a good idea for the company and as a sanity check.

I seem to remember hearing about a scheme whereby elderly people let out their spare room to lodgers who, in exchange for cheap rent, agree to spend a few evenings a week in and do things like make sure the fridge is stocked up. We will sort out a cleaner for MIL so there won't be huge amounts of housework.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Thanks very much

smile

Yes, there was a feature in the Guardian about this a year or do ago. Can't remember what it was called, but I'm sure it will be in their website. I think it was in the Family supplement.

jinglebellyalltheway Thu 20-Dec-12 18:08:21

I don't think it applies exclusively to the elderly, but AFAIK the rent-a-room scheme means you can rent a room for under £100 without declaring it for tax etc, if it's under £100 it's legal for it to be cash in hand, so if I'm right about that then she can charge any amount under £100 + whatever services she wants in exchange for lodgings without having to declare it anywhere

The Lady magazine is where positions like this are usually advertised

CMOTDibbler Thu 20-Dec-12 18:08:41

Yes, theres a scheme called Homeshare that is designed for just this sort of thing

MousyMouse Thu 20-Dec-12 18:09:16

have you thought about getting an au pair?

stella1w Thu 20-Dec-12 18:09:22

I think i may know a good candidate for you.. A friend who has caring for elderly experience. Will pm you

Ginshizz Thu 20-Dec-12 20:41:10

Oh thanks for the responses, will check out all the leads.

Stella, do PM me!

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now