How to Learn Math - Free course from Stanford aimed at parents and educators

(11 Posts)
kunoichi Thu 25-Jul-13 00:00:42

I did a quick search and since I didn't find any mention of this course on Mumsnet I thought it best to let anyone know about it who may be interested.

https://class.stanford.edu/courses/Education/EDUC115N/How_to_Learn_Math/info

This is a MOOC run through Stanford University by Jo Boaler (author of The Elephant in the Classroom) to help educators and parents discover ways to help their students/children enjoy and do better in maths. It's open until the end of September and you can take the course in your own time.

It's completely free, totally online and utterly eye-opening. As a parent I'm thoroughly enjoying it, there's no actual maths involved, instead it's a series of video lectures and short activities to help learn about recent innovations for teaching maths effectively. You can earn a Statement of Accomplishment (if you want it) for completing the course, or simply watch the videos to discover some truly remarkable information about the way math is traditionally taught compared to tried and tested ways for teaching to be successful.

I hope this will be useful for anyone here who is interested in how maths is (or can be taught) in schools and hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.

zipzap Thu 25-Jul-13 00:12:48

Sounds interesting - will look into it when I'm properly awake!

NatashaBee Thu 25-Jul-13 00:17:30

I'm so pleased to see online courses like this one being made available to everyone via the web. I'm a big fan of ted-ed, coursera and so on, I think online learning is going to be massive within the next 5 years or so.

kunoichi Thu 25-Jul-13 00:27:58

NatashaBee, I agree so much! I'm a WAHM and while I would love to continue formal education, I simply can't afford it so am doing several MOOCs instead. The Math one is absolutely my favourite so far, I keep telling DD8 about what I'm learning as it's so relevant for her too.

I haven't looked at TedEd for a while, will check out what's new. If you're interested, there's also Udacity and EdX, both of which I highly recommend.

NatashaBee Thu 25-Jul-13 02:21:14

I'll check those out - thanks!

jomaynard Thu 25-Jul-13 04:54:59

I'm doing that course too! It is really good, thought provoking and challenging.

I would especially recommend it even if you don't think you are very good at Maths.

mam29 Fri 26-Jul-13 08:23:33

Thanks I will look into this. I did start a coursera course but it was very maths based and with 3kids just took too much time but would deinatly like to try other courses.

NatashaBee Fri 26-Jul-13 08:25:11

Khan academy is really good for maths too

eatyourveg Sat 27-Jul-13 17:54:20

jomaynard how long is each topic taking you? Would love to do it but not sure how much time I would need to invest in it

You lovely lady. Thank you for posting this.

pennefab Tue 30-Jul-13 20:57:39

I'm thoroughly enjoying this course - thank you for posting about it. It's taking about hour to 1.5 hours per session. Sometimes a bit more if I'm really thoughtful about the answers I write.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now