Help! 10+ interview in City of London school for boys

(195 Posts)
koss Sun 03-Feb-13 14:21:32

Hello, I am new to this site. My DS has shortlisted for the CLSB 10+ interview. Has anyone got any previous experience? Just want some help what type of preparation needed etc.

OhDearConfused Thu 07-Feb-13 11:24:44

You are not alone, TooMany, my fault too!

snowmummy Thu 07-Feb-13 11:36:02

Children inevitably pick up on their parents' emotions. I didn't say it was your fault but I do find it strange that your DS is so stressed that he cannot sleep properly because he is under so much pressure to gain a place in a particular school.

Shaded Thu 07-Feb-13 11:45:21

Actually I suspect most of the boys were relaxed about it after the exams, at least mine was, but now he has passed the exams he now really wants to go to the school.

I think part of my stress is also wanting to keep him in the innocence cocoon where nice things always happen.

OhDearConfused Thu 07-Feb-13 11:57:47

Shaded I agree. Fine after the exam. A little sleepless night syndrome after the letter arrived inviting to interview.

snowmummy I think the "its all my fault" bit was a little tongue in cheek (at least it was on my part!). I wouldn't say though we are putting pressure on him, in fact now prep is all over, trying to chill, and just some chat along the lines of "be yourself", and telling him what to expect. Its only I suppose that we are finding it hard to hide our stress (because it is a big deal if he doesn't get in - one more year at a primary we are not happy with, 5 or 6 tests next year - not the end of the world by any means, of course, but still. And I think as said above, DSs also know that they "will have to do it all again" (times X))

Mine was also relaxed after the exam and started to get worried after he'd got an interview because it suddenly became real. He actually bounced out of the test day saying it was "easy", which made me think he'd missed the point!

And he is now terribly keen to go, which is a good thing, I guess.

"It's all my fault" was indeed tongue in cheek. Well spotted. A mother's place is in the wrong.

koss Thu 07-Feb-13 17:21:37

Thanks Justone! Does anyone know how many scholarships they offer at 10+? DS is not doing anything for the interview. Now I am really worried!

Shaded Thu 07-Feb-13 18:14:33

Koss we have decided to stop worrying and soak ourselves in drink. Join us.

Toomany best of luck tomorrow and to others having their interview tomorrow.

woohoo let's open up the bottle of wine

koss Thu 07-Feb-13 22:08:43

thanks Shaded! I will also stop worrying.But don't think we can actually do that until this is over.

Best of luck to everyone who has(DS) interview tomorrow! please share your experience afterwords.

hellsbelles Fri 08-Feb-13 20:43:51

just found this thread! my son did his interview this morning. Please try not to worry (those of you that have interviews on Monday)...he really enjoyed it and came out very happy.

2 interviewers - they ask a few questions from the papers that they did during the examination and they have to read out a passage and are asked questions on it. Also asked about the family (i.e. what we do for a living etc).

I'm pretty shocked to find out that so many are going for so few places...I'd managed to persuade myself that once he got to interview it was a pretty sure thing...and that surely they wouldn't waste time interviewing boys that were unlikely to get a place! Luckily I didn't see this thread before we went into the interview...so I was not stressing (and neither was he). We find out on Wednesday so at least there isn't too much more time to worry.

Good luck. Maybe we'll all see each other at a parents evening one day!

My DS had a similar interview this afternoon - shorter than 20 mins.
He also came out chirpy.

If we do ever meet we'll never know.....

Good luck to the Monday people.

sicutlilium Fri 08-Feb-13 21:00:24

Good luck to you all. I have a Year 9 boy there who joined at 13+ last September, and he loves it. He's off on CCF Army Camp this weekend.

hellsbelles Fri 08-Feb-13 21:05:00

I'm so glad to hear of the boys who are enjoying it there. I know a few boys already there and they are such lovely happy kids it really makes me feel hopeful that if DS does get in he'll love it.

Toomany- well - if they both get in we could actually PM each other with our names. But if that's too weird no problem!

Let's see how we get on....
Am feeling I might have 'shared' too much on other threads.
I've never met a mner only found out that RL friends of mine are on here.

hellsbelles Fri 08-Feb-13 21:21:22

oh goodness no need! I was just saying it flippantly - it really isn't necessary. I always forget that ones whole MN history is easily searchable!

I have to say I've been very lucky with MN friends that have turned into RL ones. I have made some really really wonderful ones but I know it can often not work out.

Anyway good luck for Wednesday.

sorry sounded defensive - I am shattered - we have too much going on as a family with DS seeming to be doing amazingly well and DD struggling more than I would have thought possible.

I have lurked around mn for 7 yrs now, but never been much of a poster so never connected properly with anyone here or mners in RL.

Have you gone for any other 10+ places?

hellsbelles Fri 08-Feb-13 21:40:35

please don't worry - you are right to be careful. Sorry to hear you are going through it.

We haven't gone for any other 10+, if he doesn't get in now we'll just wait till 11+. Have you tried for anything else?

No, we didn't try anywhere else. Not many do 10+ near us.

We only decided to go for this the day before the application deadline so we're reeling from him passing the exam.
Someone who got in last year thought the interview was just a formality, but it seems not from the numbers above.

It is great to have this part over with, though. We can now relax for a few days, at least, although I know I'll start worrying again (it's in the name!) next week.

hellsbelles Fri 08-Feb-13 22:11:10

I have to admit I thought that the interview was a formality too. And I'm very glad I did otherwise I would have been worrying far more in the run up to the interview.

However I will be worrying next week..not in the name but in the nature!

Here's to a peaceful and anxiety-free weekend for all with maybe a wine or two

Shaded Sat 09-Feb-13 12:00:42

hellsbelles and Toomany thank you very much for your feedback. Goodluck to your DSs and everyone else too. I am going out tonight and putting the interview out of my mind.

hellsbelles Sat 09-Feb-13 17:44:14

Shaded. Good luck to you and your son! I think the great thing is they make it as enjoyable as it can be for the boys. Everyone I know that had an interview on Friday was very happy and not at all traumatised by it! So fingers crossed, your son will actually enjoy it once he's in there.

Of course results day on weds will be a different matter. But haven't they done incredibly well to get this far!!

koss Sat 09-Feb-13 22:44:32

@Hellsbell, toomany-- thanks a lot for shareing your experiences. I am now feeling good and telling DS to have fun on Monday. Good luck for Wednesday.
Shaded-- good luck to your DS and everyone who has interview on Monday.

hellsbelles Sun 10-Feb-13 08:08:44

Kos...that's great. Not long to wait now. DS has a friend who is already there who warned about the fact that he would get questions about the maths paper they did during the exam. They went through some of the questions including one he'd got wrong. I think the fact he knew that he wasn't singled out for this was a very important for him. Otherwise he would have panicked that it was just him that got things wrong. The boy that warned us got a scholarship so knowing that made DS not worry when he got asked about his maths paper!

koss Sun 10-Feb-13 08:41:01

Thanks for more info Hells! That's really helpful. Do you know how many scholarships they will offer for 10+?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now