Tutors - what's the going rate?

(54 Posts)
cat811 Sun 20-Jan-13 13:01:42

I know it will vary hugely, but just to get some kind of range - for a Y4 child after school, what would you pay (as a parent) or charge (as a tutor) per hour, in Home Counties?

Roseformeplease Fri 25-Jan-13 20:50:05

Missbopeep. I too am a highly qualified teacher. I don't tutor because I am too busy and live in a remote area so would just be making parents pay to cover for my own inadequacies, but I have done so in the past.

I have been teaching for 20+ years.

However, I would disagree with you about the need for a qualified teacher as a tutor. I am not sure what part of my vague, waffly, mad Cambridge PGCE prepared me for tutoring - if there was anything, I slept through that bit. What I do have, is experience. But why can't a tutor without a PGCE have that too? Also, let's face it, even A Levels are just not that hard if you have a degree in the subject and can look things up. Past papers are plentiful, exam technique has changed very little over the years and anyone with a degree knows how to be a successful learner.

OP - good luck to you and to all tutors - good on you. I find small numbers very intensive and really hard work. Give me 20+ teenagers any day! And here in my bit of Scotland we do teach the WHOLE text....

LaQueen Fri 25-Jan-13 20:52:51

school back in my day, I can't say anyone was that enthused about Macbeth, but we all had to read the whole play, we had no choice.

We were 13/14 - and given the weekend to read it, then lessons started on the Monday, head-down, and woe betide anyone who hadn't read it.

loveyouradvice Sun 27-Jan-13 11:02:09

In central london one massively oversubscribed very experienced tutor charges £60 an hour.... others locally seem to charge £35-40

Muminwestlondon Sun 27-Jan-13 11:50:43

Also in central London and my tutors are excellent and charge £25 an hour. One (science) is a qualified secondary school teacher and working part time. Some do still seem to think it is a fair rate for the job. The other is a student who previously worked as a teaching assistant so knows the syllabus etc.

On the website I use, I see inexperienced students advertising for pupils for £35-£40 an hour or more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now