Abingdon prep - thoughts?

(11 Posts)
dietcokeisgreat Sun 26-Apr-15 20:57:50

We seriously considered abingdon prep for our ds. Seemed very lovely school which good academics, facilities etc. we currently live on the outskirts of headington ( ringroad access out to m40 for commute for dh to bucks hospitals) - decided on new college in centre of oxford instead. Why?
Nothing to do with academics or other activities offered really
Frilford is a bit remote, even if we moved much closer long term there would never be independent getting to school for ds
Commute from headington ( there is a school bus) is long even going against the flow
We were impressed by the music and range of experiences te new college boys get due to being so close to all the university facilities. A small factor.
Abingdon mroe sporty than new college - we as a family really are not!

Plenty of people do have one child at headington and one at abingdon senior. Clearly is logistically possible!

fizzyfrog Fri 24-Apr-15 20:47:35

I'd second what 1805 says about Ab prep (from friends) and also about the traffic in oxford generally. its dreadful!
I can help with Tubney though, its generally a friendly village, although suffers from through traffic off the A420 going into Abingdon, but only first thing when you are likely to be in the traffic also. There are several children in the village going to the oxford schools and the buses stop in the village to collect them, so your daughter could get the bus if needed/wanted

ChipsAndEgg Fri 24-Apr-15 14:01:15

MumInBerkshire - Move to Headington and catch the school bus to Abingdon, against the flow of traffic.

MuminBerkshire Thu 23-Apr-15 19:06:58

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply which gave me some very useful info. I guessed that the traffic would be terrible into Headington which is why I didn't mind being West of Oxford rather than nearer Headington so much. Even when you are nearer the school mileage wise, the travel time is still pretty horrendous!

1805 Thu 23-Apr-15 16:11:45

HI.

The pre test for Ab senior school is taken during the first half term in yr 7, so your ds would only have half a term of preparation before he took the senior school entrance exam. I guess you would have to talk to the head to discuss this.
The boys who are not on track for the senior school tend to leave after y6, but some do stay to take CE to other senior senior schools.

Not all boys from the prep school pass the senior school pre test. But I believe there is some negotiating that can be done in some cases!!

The prep school has won Abingdon's top academic scholarship award 4 years running now I think, so they must be doing something right!

No idea about Tubney, sorry.

The traffic going into Oxford/Headington in the mornings IS HORRIFIC. Doesn't really matter where you live, you'll get stuck somewhere on your journey.

Good luck.

MuminBerkshire Thu 23-Apr-15 10:11:13

Hi,

We have just sold out house since DD will be starting school in Headington in September. My son is in Y6 currently and I am hoping that he gets into Abingdon senior for Y9 entry. We are looking to move somewhere that works for both Abingdon and Headington and have seen a place that we like in Tubney. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this village since I am not from the area. Also, are there any other good places to consider living which work for both schools that you can recommend? Also wanted some feedback on Abingdon prep and whether it prepares the boys well for the senior school. Do many of the boys at the prep go onto the senior school?

Thanks

11112222 Fri 04-Jan-13 11:58:09

What I'm not sure about is how Ab prep is for not so typical boys. Mt ds likes sport, battle tactics, and making stuff. Also found a passion for art which is a v pleasant surprise. It might be good for less active boys, but I can't comment personally. They play lots of sports marches.
Seems to have a spread of wealth from strugglers to mega rich.
We are happy there.

Portlypenguin Fri 04-Jan-13 09:22:28

Thanks. I also thought the Dragon was very big and the parents I have come across seemed to be from rather further up the income scale than us! We liked the Manor a lot but would like to avoid moving schools too much if poss (I went to 6 schools and found it v disruptive)

OrangeLily Tue 01-Jan-13 17:33:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

11112222 Tue 01-Jan-13 17:29:15

Ab prep really good for boysey type boys. Loads of running around outside, and a curriculum to inspire boys.
Just my opinion.
Manor very 'lovely' school, but of course he'll have to move for y3 onwards.
Dragon was too expensive and too big for us to see ds there.

Portlypenguin Tue 01-Jan-13 17:20:50

I have one son and currently live in Oxford. We have decided to go private for school (long story...) and are considering moving out of the city in order to be able to afford more house for our money. We both work in the Oxford hospitals currently but this could change! DS would be starting age 4 in two years time.

I have been to see the dragon, new college, abingdon prep and the manor. DH and I liked abingdon best and we also like the idea of living in the abingdon area. Any experience of abingdon prep, good and bad????????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now