Eton scholarship admissions: advice please!

(82 Posts)
PriscillaLydiaSellon Tue 13-Nov-12 10:46:41

DS (10.5) is dead set on going to Eton. We can't remotely begin to afford it, so he is going to try for a scholarship/bursary. We have been told that he doesn't need to do anything until Y8, as he's only applying via the scholarship route - but teacher friends at two other boarding schools (which DS won't even look at, being fixated on Eton) have said that that in practice, children need to be registered in Y6 even if they are only applying for 13+ scholarships. Has anyone been there and done this? If so, I'd be very grateful for your advice...

PriscillaLydiaSellon Thu 15-Nov-12 15:13:23

Agree re. small boys and valuable instruments!!

Thanks to BlissfullyIgnorant (who is anything but...), DH has spoken to people in the admissions and bursaries offices, and we are registering DS this week. smile That way, he would potentially qualify for an Exhibition if for any reason he didn't make the scholarship grade. I am very, very grateful to BI and everyone else who has offered helpful advice.

joanbyers Thu 15-Nov-12 16:05:43

Priscilla I think you need to establish what precisely financial help Eton might be able to offer given your circumstances, and which of your income, savings, and expenditures will be taken into account.

Although it is said that 25% of students get financial help, given the £32k/year cost, that does not strike me as a very high proportion. Whether that is because few but the very wealthy are willing to apply, or if the rhetoric about 'no-one denied a place for financial reasons' is some distance from reality, you really need to find out before you commit several years of your life what the final cost is likely to be.

happygardening Thu 15-Nov-12 16:23:34

No Eton fan me but I think you'll find if it is 25% that that is pretty impressive! Of course we dont know how big each bursary is at Winchester where I think 12% receive assistance the average bursary is 50%.

PriscillaLydiaSellon Thu 15-Nov-12 19:00:27

Thanks, Joan, that is sensible advice. We also have the bursary forms now.

RenewedKing Sun 10-Mar-13 20:50:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lasagnefortea Sat 28-Sep-13 17:55:20

Am I the only one curious to know the outcome of the Eton application? Hope it went well for the OP's son!

difficultpickle Sat 28-Sep-13 18:29:07

Outcome here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now