Papplewick, Dragon, Sunningdale or Cothill?

(70 Posts)
tallmermaid Mon 06-Feb-12 10:13:41

Dear all, considering sending DS to one of these schools. Would appreciate opinions on which one's best. In particular, would appreciate in-depth opinion on Papplewick (not seen much on this school on the discussion boards). Would prefer boarding school that does not empy out at weekends. Objective is to aim for place in E, W or H. Thanks.

BlueElephant90 Sun 11-Nov-12 19:17:21

Not only in France but inside the school as well.
bisjo Do you really believe that they get them to those school without any parents input? Private tuition is thriving as well at that school with their own teachers....
As I've said if you have a sensitive and a caring ds don't touch it.

difficultpickle Sun 11-Nov-12 20:27:55

Interesting. It isn't a school I considered for ds but it does have a good reputation locally.

BlueElephant90 Sun 11-Nov-12 22:15:55

I wonder why because most of the children are not local!

difficultpickle Mon 12-Nov-12 08:21:47

I know friends of friends with day pupils there although I agree that they don't have as many local pupils as Lambrook or St George's.

MrsMarmot Thu 15-Nov-12 15:12:11

Sunningdale- lovely, cosy prep big on letting boys be boys. Small. Increasingly a bigger feeder into Harrow.

Dragon - big, coed, confident, polite, happy & busy children, great pastoral & boarding. Not a country setting.

grovel Thu 15-Nov-12 16:55:26

Lambrook. How nice it has dropped the Haileybury bit.

Best fireworks on the circuit at Lambrook and 5 or so boys into Eton last year.

Mumindoha Fri 16-Nov-12 08:44:20

As expats we need a boarding prep that doesn't empty at weekends. DS is Year 5. We've visited 6 schools and can't decide between Cothill, Windlesham, Ashdown. DS loves spor and playing outdoors. Main priority is a happy home-from-home at a school that will get him through CE and into Radley, Harrow or possibly Eton. Any advice or opinions much appreciated.

difficultpickle Fri 16-Nov-12 09:22:32

Mumindoha I would start your own thread as only one of the schools you are interested in is listed in the title abd this thread is quite old.

grovel Fri 16-Nov-12 10:44:23

Take a look at Woodcote House. Lovely school.

happygardening Fri 16-Nov-12 11:07:17

Windlesham we've friends who've DCs have been there and loved it Ive heard on the grape vine not much good for scholarships into Eton and Winchester etc but fine for CE Winchester entrance exam.

Mumindoha Fri 16-Nov-12 14:10:30

Thanks all. I have heard only good things about Windlesham. Not too bothered about scholarships TBH just want a happy boy! grovel we looked at Woodcote but not sure about weekends there. on bisjo advice I'll start a new thread

diamondsinthesand Sat 22-Dec-12 01:34:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

difficultpickle Sat 22-Dec-12 12:17:43

Why would you expect to see the Head when discussing a bursary? Surely that is the job of the Bursar? What made the process so horrible?

Ds has a large scholarship for his prep school and we will need an equally large scholarship or bursary for senior school. The one senior school we have spoken to so far were very keen to stress how many bursaries are available.

wheresthegin Sat 22-Dec-12 14:51:54

Diamonds - we applied for the Dragon scheme as well. We never met the head or bursar, but were interviewed by a deputy senior something. She took notes of things my dh said, and smiled rather patronisingly (I thought) whenever I spoke. DC did not get a bursary, and I can say i am rather glad actually.
On the plus side, it made us approach another school, who were lovely, and DC is very happy there (with a bursary).

diamondsinthesand Sun 30-Dec-12 16:54:01

BestYearsofYourLife Tue 26-Mar-13 13:30:16

Listening to your threads can't understand if you've considered Lambrook. Its a Co-educational Prep School in Ascot which sends boys to Eton (amazing scholarships), Winchester, Harrow, Marlborough, Wellington and all the "top" girls schools. Its got huge diversity and believes in matching the child to a senior school and prepares them well. If you just want your child to get into the "right school" then look away! Children should be happy at school. Lambrook is wonderful. I can honestly say it offers fantastic sport, music and academics. They are running a bus from Chiswick and Brook Green from September so get your sons AND daughters on it!

bluescissors Tue 26-Mar-13 13:39:26

Hi BestYearsofYourLife - thanks for the heads up on the Lambrook minibus. Just did the AA route finder from the start to the destination. 30miles (will take 1hr 2 min apparently) - don't want to consign my children to 60miles of commuting each day. I'm sure its a great school if you board or live close by, but I cannot fathom why people would put their DC through that travelling 6 days a week (as they have saturday school from year 5). Each to their own though.

Surreymumtotwoboys Sun 02-Jun-13 16:24:46

Papplewick 40 boys? I thought they had two classes of max 12 boys???

Surreymumtotwoboys Sun 02-Jun-13 16:41:08

Just read your post. I am researching Papplewick at the moment... Would love to chat to you. Can we message each other on this mums net????

Mummyk1ns Thu 11-Jul-13 18:42:23

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now