This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Just a moan about lack of detail.

(13 Posts)
bella65 Tue 14-May-13 13:43:25

I am watching an item but havehad to email the seller with really obvious questions ( to me.)
She listed as a European size- 38- for a coat.
The material is listed as cotton but nothing about it being lined, washable, etc, pockets, vent at back or not- not even a photo of the back view.
No measurements inc. length.

Why do some people even bother if they can't list what you want to know angry

gaggiagirl Tue 14-May-13 16:14:35

YANBU to expect all these details.As a regular eBay seller myself I always go into mega detail about any item I'm selling as it saves both the buyers time and my own from back and forth q&a's. I wouldn't buy the coat on principle.

bella65 Wed 15-May-13 08:29:05

Thank you. I'm a regular Ebayer and go to great lengths to write about everything a buyer needs to know, including more than 1 photo. The item is an up-market trench coat, so you'd think she would list the basics such as back vent, no vent, pockets, lined or not, etc, storm flaps on back ( no pic so you can't tell) etc.

I'm annoyed because it's a coat I've had my eye on in the store ( though they do several styles so not sure exactly what the spec is of this one).

MarjorieAntrobus Wed 15-May-13 08:40:46

But looking on the bright side, OP, you might get a bargain because the ebayer hasn't marketed it well. Other potential buyers might have been put off.

orangepudding Wed 15-May-13 08:42:13

It will probably sell for less so you may get a bargain!

bella65 Wed 15-May-13 09:46:41

Of course! smile

Can you tell me- do you think £10 Postage is too much for a cotton mac? What's the real cost of sending that?

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 15-May-13 15:32:41

£5.20 or £8 (£8.20?) to post. I've sold a few coats and lightweight macs recently. I sold a chunky cardigan and the postage was £8 and i made a loss :-( thanks R Mail for increasing your prices to an insane amount. £10 if its recorded ? Is it?

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 15-May-13 15:33:18

£5.20 standard second class unsigned for...£8 if it's long / lots of fabric

fergoose Wed 15-May-13 15:57:33

£3.30 if you use MyHermes, £4 Collect+. £10 is extortionate.

lljkk Wed 15-May-13 18:57:17

Tend to agree with Fergoose but make sure you are happy to receive from the alternative couriers.

I just don't bother to bid on things without enough detail unless I am absolutely sure that I know what I'll be getting.

Was looking for next sandals today. Some people put a photo of the front of the shoe, no photo of side or heel, and nothing in the descrption to say whether its wedge, heel, and how high!

Even on the simplest things, if you can't see the whole of it from one pic, then I take 2 or 3 from different angles and put them all on. More photos = more people bid because they know exactly what they will be getting. The cost of postage is too high these days (£5 -odd for a pair of shoes) so I can't take a risk on something not being exactly what I want, whereas before if postage was £2.50 I might have taken a chance.

bella65 Wed 15-May-13 22:13:08

It has one bid on it already and I suspect it will go for that as bound to be a high bid with 4 days to go.

I have seen the coat' in stores, but there have been a few designs so not sure which one it is= sorry already said that.

it is quite thick cotton but even so.....it's a mac.

Gingefringe Fri 17-May-13 16:17:43

Perhaps its because more people put stuff on via their phone apps? Maybe they take the photographs then list later (on the train or at work or such like). Agree it's very annoying when you go to great lengths to describe things in detail.
The £10 postage for the mac is way to high. I would expect to be charged £4 or £5 for something like this - a mac is unlikely to be very bulky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now