This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer saying item is broken, what to do?

(17 Posts)
fuzzpig Sat 01-Dec-12 13:09:24

Yep, a relief either way. We could have at least given them a partial refund (they had said the break was small anyway) if they'd sent a photo, but they don't think it was worth the bother, so <shrug> their choice! (If they were telling the truth anyway that is... I don't like to think of people lying but it does happen!)

Thanks for the advice though everyone, it's really useful smile

RooneyMara Sat 01-Dec-12 12:40:48

I agree Fergoose, I was just trying to say, ebay won't make you pay it. But I did suggest it would be the nice thing to do.

Fuzz - that is sometimes what happens when you ask for a photo - it could mean the buyer was trying it on, could mean it is genuinely not worth the bother and they would rather keep the item.

Still, good result for you smile

Havingkitties Sat 01-Dec-12 11:46:34

Hmmm, seems they may of been telling porkies after all!

fuzzpig Sat 01-Dec-12 10:12:23

well. DH sent nice message apologising, asking for a photo of damage... buyer replied saying oh actually never mind it's only a tiny break

confused

fergoose Sat 01-Dec-12 10:06:29

fair enough - well in that case you should pay the return postage costs. Not fair for the buyer to be out of pocket through no fault of their own is there?

RooneyMara Sat 01-Dec-12 09:21:01

I take your point Fergoose, just that last time we put in a claim, RM wanted us to send the entire package including the item, the box, the wrapping AND photos.

And they still refused to refund...

fergoose Sat 01-Dec-12 09:05:29

I have received broken items and have just provided photos and the seller has refunded without me needing to return them

I don't think it is necessary for the expense of a return, and really if you do ask the buyer to return I think you should give them the return postage costs too.

RooneyMara Sat 01-Dec-12 08:37:47

Crikey. I don't think it should change anything - but the buyer has to pay for return postage if that's any consolation, even if they open a dispute. You could offer to if you want to be super nice, but you don't have to.

Did you send it airsure or International signed for? Or something else?

Check the RM website for compensation limits for those services as depending on what it was worth, you may be covered or not.

fuzzpig Sat 01-Dec-12 08:35:09

Thanks, he's sent a message asking for a photo and to send it back with packaging for a refund.

However I hadn't realised it was sent overseas (in Europe) so not sure if that changes anything.

RooneyMara Sat 01-Dec-12 08:26:43

Basically, apologise, ask them if they will be kind enough to help you comply with RM claims procedure and can they please photograph the damage, and the packaging, so that you can apply for compensation.

You can even ask them to wait while you claim but a good seller will usually refund on return of the item, and then claim from the carrier.

Play it by ear.

RooneyMara Sat 01-Dec-12 08:25:06

Well I'd ask for a picture so I can see the damage, and know they aren't making it up! iyswim. And if they don't bother to send one then it's kind of not in your court, well unless they open a dispute anyway.

It's up to you and if you believe them then don't bother - though it is always useful to know what state something is in before it makes a second journey through the post...especially if you don't know what the other person's packing is going to be like.

fuzzpig Sat 01-Dec-12 07:46:01

(Sorry, am totally clueless about this!)

fuzzpig Sat 01-Dec-12 07:45:42

So should we just ask them to send it back now rather than wait for photos first?

RooneyMara Sat 01-Dec-12 07:18:07

Yes they can - if the item is 'not as described' ie damaged, etc, then ebay will disregard the sellr's refund policy entirely.

(and sometimes even when the buyer is trying it on blatantly - so be warned!)
They usually side with the buyer in any dispute, though it's been known for a seller to win.

Good luck with RM and remember they'll want proof of all the damage, you might need to send them the actual item, if not it'll be photos - so get everything from the buyer before you refund.

fuzzpig Fri 30-Nov-12 20:24:50

Oh that's useful thanks, I didn't even realise you can get refunds from RM!

Is it ok to ask for a return then, even though it said no returns on the listing?

RooneyMara Fri 30-Nov-12 20:07:52

Yes, ask politely for photographs - you'll want them anyway so you can claim from RM.

If it's broken then you have to refund really - ask them to return it to you together with the original packaging, which RM will also require, and once it's received, then you can refund them.

Horrid thing to happen but hopefully RM will pay up.

fuzzpig Fri 30-Nov-12 20:01:15

It absolutely was NOT broken when it was sent, but not impossible that it broke during shipping.

What do you do in this situation?

Ask for photo of breakage?

Reluctant to just refund as they might be lying sad

Would be happy to accept return, but the listing said 'no returns' (seems to be the default when listing from the app)

This is DH's account BTW but I thought I'd ask anyway. It's only a tenner, but that's a lot around Xmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now