If I divorce my husband, how do I avoid throwing my family into poverty?

(4 Posts)
ClairityVerity Tue 14-May-13 12:24:04

I have been considering leaving my husband for a very long time. I'm just not happy, and have had enough of being the only one trying to fix things.

The thing that's held me back from making a break is that I'm financially almost completely dependent on him - I earn a meagre income as I'm the main carer for our children. We don't claim any benefits and we don't own a property, nor do we have much in the way of savings, so I'll have next to nothing to take away with me when we split, and I'm terrified of plunging my children into a life of poverty.

I'm self-employed part-time and will look for p/t employment once our youngest starts pre-school, so that I can keep my self-emp career going - as long as I keep at it, it should ultimately be a lucrative career. But how do we survive the first five or so years?

I don't want to ask my husband to leave our rental home as it's my decision to end the marriage - but does this mean I'd be forced to go on a council housing waiting list? I have insufficient financial weight to rent privately by myself, and don't have family to support me, either. I couldn't bear having to leave the children behind with my husband while I rent a room somewhere alone - are there other options? Can I claim housing benefit to a private landlord and pay the extra rental costs from my own income? Is there a good website I can use to help me assess my options?

ClairityVerity Tue 14-May-13 12:24:50

Also is there anything else I need to know about income and finances after divorce? TIA.

BabyHMummy Tue 14-May-13 12:41:35

Your best bet is to talk to cab and see where you stand.

Also talk to your local housing office who will be able to advise you on what housing benefit you may be entitled to

ClairityVerity Tue 14-May-13 12:45:09

Thanks BabyHMummy, I'll do just that. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now