Collaboration versus mediation: your advice please

(3 Posts)
Liltzero Sun 21-Apr-13 07:05:46

DH and I are getting divorced. DH wants to go down the mediation route because it will be cheaper. I want to do collaboration because I don't think I have the mental strength to properly 'fight my corner' with a neutral mediator hence would like my own solicitor present for the discussions.

Anybody any experience / advice to share?

Collaborate Sun 21-Apr-13 08:32:13

With Collab there's no "fighting your corner". You buy in to the mindset that you have a shared problem and try and work out a shared solution that works for you both. Your solicitors have a personal investment in helping you both achieve that end. If you can't agree through Collab then you must instruct other solicitors.

I think you get better outcomes through Collab than mediation, but it can cost a bit more. It's a much more supported process for you both.

With mediation you have your lawyer advising you in the background, although never at a mediation setting. The mediator should ensure that you get your point across.

Both are purely voluntary. You can't force him to participate in either.

Liltzero Sun 21-Apr-13 08:42:15

Thanks for your reply Collaborate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now