Are divorce petitions a public record?

(4 Posts)
Cabrinha Sun 14-Apr-13 07:52:28

Google not helping...
I am considering divorcing on grounds of adultery. However, if the petition is a matter of public record and our daughter may one day see it, I might prefer unreasonable behaviour.
Does anyone know?

Thank you!

Collaborate Sun 14-Apr-13 09:07:14

It isn't. Only the decree nisi is a public record, and that states the fact relied on, not the specifics.

Xenia Sun 14-Apr-13 17:03:17

Also most people who divorce for adultery do not name the person. Tends just to be vindictive spouses who do so.

Also why in effect lie to your daughter - her father is a lying cheat - why should she not ultimately know that?

Cabrinha Sun 14-Apr-13 17:43:13

Thank you both.

Xenia, adultery was with a prostitute.
If it was a "regular" other woman, I'd tell her one day, if she asked. Whilst not condoning affairs, shit happens. I think as a teen / young adult she could process that and separate it from her relationship with her father.
I'm usually a big fan of honesty, but you know - I don't think a daughter needs to know that about her father. And if she does, I wanted to be sure it came from me, and not because in a bored moment she looks up some census style website of divorce details, conceived in the future!

Actually I don't have sufficient proof in a legal sense, so it'll be Unreasonable Behaviour. Still, as long as I get shot of him quickly, that'll do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now