Anyone watching the Olivier's?

(9 Posts)
ElphabaisWicked Sun 15-Apr-12 18:44:29

How amazing were the Matilda's?

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 17-Apr-12 15:59:59

I didn't watch it – don't have Sky. I'll look it out on YouTube. Have you seen the show? I thought it was terrific. I don't know which Matilda I saw but boy, she was impressive.

Very pleased that Bertie Carvel won for Miss Trunchbull too. A tour de force!

ElphabaisWicked Tue 17-Apr-12 23:22:51

No I havn;t seen it yet. I've got the CD and seen excerpts on Youtube.

A girl from dd's dance school started at Sylvia Youngs yesterday and apparently one of the Matilda's brought her Oliver in yesterday!

Dd and sd are desperate to see it, its just so expensive.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 18-Apr-12 09:38:50

It is, but if you can save up for it (that's what I did!), it's very definitely worth it. Might be worth looking online and signing up for emails from sites like Whatsonstage.com – they sometimes have special offers. It means receiving e-newsletters and things, which you may or may not be up for, though!

I'm also signed up for Time Out emails and received an email from them today with offers for top-price tickets to Chicago at the Garrick for about half price, and cheap tickets to the Globe and the Soho Theatre too. I also have an Orange mobile phone and they sometimes text with special theatre (and film etc) offers.

It might mean signing up for lots of things and receiving 'news' emails that you're not that interested in, but might just pay off!

ElphabaisWicked Wed 18-Apr-12 20:45:56

I'm on all the emails lists!!!!! We usually go to the theatre during Kidsweek or as part of the Get Into London Theatre scheme but Matilda isn't featured in that due to it being so heavily booked up. I guess it will be part of Kidsweek but last year some shows were virtually impossible to get.

Ds wants to see Matilda, Les Mis, Wicked & Legally Blonde again on tour

Dd wants to see Matilda, Wicked again & Phantom!!

I need another mortgage.

Oooh I was lucky enough to be at the Oliviers on Sunday and the four Matildas were brilliant - and so obviously surprised and excited to win! Really talented young girls. Fabulous evening, but now I want to go to about 12 productions and can't afford it! sad

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 20-Apr-12 11:01:55

OK, was just trying to make helpful suggestions but I guess you can be on all the mailing lists in the world and you still may or may not get lucky as to which shows come up at discounted prices.

Keep checking up on offers, is all I can suggest. Or keep saving up. I'm saving for another visit to Sweeney Todd at the moment – saw it soon after press night and it was great, but I think it'll be even better if I go in a few weeks/months.

ElphabaisWicked Fri 20-Apr-12 21:36:24

One of dh's students who only graduated last year is in Sweeney Todd. We live a long way from London though dh works there one day a week so we also have to factor in travel and hotels. We saw Ghost in January S part of the Gilt promotion on a day dh was working.

Matilda is the real hot ticket of the moment.

MareeJane Thu 14-Jun-12 16:03:50

Just been reading your posts on the Oliviers and I couldn't agree more about the lovely Matilda's - they were so cute too! I took my daughter for her birthday in January, but the tickets cost an arm and a leg!

Lady Clarice - Sweeney Todd is EXCELLENT! I loved the energy of the show and I really think they should have been better rewarded at the Oliviers. Nice to hear you are saving up to go again, although now that it is closing there are some pretty good deals around. I have some for next month that I found here:

www.sweeneytodd.co.uk/sweeney-todd-special-offer/

I hope that helps?

In terms of Matilda tickets though, I sadly havent seen any discounts sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now