meals for 4 for less than a fiver

(29 Posts)
frazzled74 Sat 09-Mar-13 23:46:19

has anyone any ideas? other than spaghetti bolognaise and shepards pie!

stressedHEmum Sun 24-Mar-13 21:03:25

Almost all our meals are under a fiver.

Some easy ones are -

pasta with caramelised onions topped with a little grated gran padano
pasta with walnuts, parsley and cream
pasta with mashed avocado, garlic and lime juice
pasta with smoked salmon trimmings, cream, lemon juice and frozen peas
nutty potato cakes - mashed potatoes mixed with chopped nuts, onion and parsley, shaped into patties dipped in flour and fried, served with salad
potato, bacon and onion bake served with carrots and cabbage
slow braised cabbage pasta with sour cream
spiced cabbage and potatoes
potato and onion pie
savoury bread and butter pudding
lentil and potato curry
lentil stew
bean and ham soup
pea dahl
pea soup
creamed tuna with rice and peas
chicken and rice soup with crusty bread
spanish rice with chicken
tomato mince with pasta
mushroom mince
tuna wedge melt
toad in the hole
white fish chowder
lentil soup
cauliflower and bacon soup
cauliflower cheese
kidney bean, tomato and mushroom pie
scrambled egg rice
mince and tatties
stovies
beany mince crumble
macaroni cheese
pasta with ham, eggs and leeks
pasta with leeks and cheese
lentil and barley stew
barley and mushroom bake
lentils and rice
lentil tacos

lalalonglegs Sun 24-Mar-13 20:44:53

Has anyone suggested stir fry - bit of shredded cabbage, spring onions, very finely sliced bell pepper etc, one large chicken breast cut into slivers, small piece ginger, couple of cloves of garlic and some soy sauce.

apatchylass Sun 24-Mar-13 20:19:51

Chicken risotto. We use half a £3 chicken on Sunday for a roast, then the other half with finely chopped onion, peas, mushrooms and rice. Total cost of the meal is about £2.50 for 4 people. Or £3.50 if you add salad.

Fish, chips, and veg.
Basics white fish dipped in tempura batter (SR flour and sparkling water, seasoned) with oven baked chips and frozen mixed veg. Total cost: £3.50

Pasta bake:
basics pasta, onion, courgette, tomato, red pepper, squeeze of garlic paste and mixed herbs with mozzarella topping - all from basics range. Total: £2.50 approx or £3.50 with salad

Homemade pizza: bread mix; tomato and garlic paste and dried herbs, mozzarella, olives served with carrot sticks and sweetcorn Total cost:£2.50

Pork loins with polenta chips, carrots and broccoli - £5.

Most of our family meals are less than £5.

dikkertjedap Sat 16-Mar-13 21:31:56

There is a very nice Egyptian dish with turkey or chicken thighs and broad beans served with rice. Delicious and not expensive. I will see if I can find it somewhere online.

dikkertjedap Sat 16-Mar-13 21:30:27

Spaghetti with tomato sauce and parmesan/other grated cheese. I make the tomato sauce through first finely chopping one onion, one celery stalk, one clove of garlic and grating one big carrot. Sautee all this for about 5-10 minutes until soft and then add two cans of plum tomatoes (ideally Cirio or other good quality as otherwise it can get very sour), also add two cans with cold water and let it simmer for 1 hour until you have a thickish sauce. It is absolutely delicious and very cheap.

Alternatively, omelet with green beans/broad beans/or other frozen veg (defrost veg before adding of course), serve with tomato ketchup and bread.

Pancakes, to make them more filling you can add grated cheese and slice of bacon when frying.

Risottos. Especially vegetable risottos are cheap and filling.

Home made chicken soup with chopped veg.

Generally I think large bags of frozen veg work out cheaper as each time you use exactly the right amount, so there is very little waste.

orderinformation Wed 13-Mar-13 22:54:19

Marking place so I can read through this later

WiganKebab Tue 12-Mar-13 17:21:20

Pizza, jacket spud and baked beans.

The vast majority of our meals are under £5!
Homemade Fish cakes with peas
Pasta omelette
Homemade falafel
Baked rice balls
Pitta bread with samosa filling
Biryani
Tempura
Cauliflower and broccoli cheese
Soup
Pasta with a soup sauce
Pork with baked apple
Homemade Potato wedges and beans
Chilli

50shadesofvomit Mon 11-Mar-13 11:17:03

Chicken wings and drumsticks are also great value

50shadesofvomit Mon 11-Mar-13 11:15:10

Stretching one whole chicken over 2 or 3 meals easily works out at under £5 for 4.
Roast chicken, veg, potatoes (whichever size is on offer)
And use leftovers to make
Chicken noodle soup (use bones to make stock, add chicken, veg, noodles and soy sauce)
Chicken curry
Caesar salad
Chicken pie
Chicken stroganoff
Chicken wraps
A second roast chicken dinner

Consistently cheap cuts of meat in my local supermarket are turkey thigh (which I use in a stir fry), pork steaks, pork mince, turkey mince. Ones that seem to be on offer on rotation are whole chickens, pork shoulder joints and ribs.

Locketjuice Mon 11-Mar-13 11:05:35

Marking my place smile

I'm doing creamy smoked salmon pasta tonight (Sainsburys prices)

1 pack smoked salmon trimmings 120g - 98p (its so strong this is more than enough)
150 mls single cream - 50p or if you wanted more sauce 300ml for 95p

Plus I already have
Frozen peas
Onion
Garlic
Black Pepper
Pasta

I think the all-in price would be less than £5 for 4

colditz Sun 10-Mar-13 23:27:35

aldi do massive chickens. I mean HUGE.

ALWAYS BUY the fifty p veg from aldi, and do try to avoid the 'bargains' in the centre aisles.

CuriousMama Sun 10-Mar-13 23:27:14

Flat breads, hot dog and salad with sauce of choice.

Flatbreads are 500g SR flour, 500g natural yoghurt 1 tbsp salt or less? 1 tbsp baking powder. Mix it all up with hands or food processor. Split into 12. Roll into flat ovals or however you like. Fry each side until charred. Cook 2 mattesons sausages for 1 min each in microwave. Put 1 or 2 flat breads on plate or in bowl. Put salad on top, then sliced sausage. Then BBQ ketchup/tom ketchup/mayonnaise or whatever you want. If you have small children then half the mixture and make 6. 2 for adults 1 each for dcs.

The leftover flatbreads can be frozen in between greaseproof paper in bag/box. Or eat them for snacks with dips.

frazzled74 Sun 10-Mar-13 23:19:02

wow, i have been busy all day so have only just looked. Lots of ideas for my aldi shop and meal planning tomorrow. Keep them coming though , I am enjoying keeping the food bill down , and saving some money for treats.

CwtchesAndCuddles Sun 10-Mar-13 17:22:15

Diced turkey thigh is offen quite cheap and is lovely in any kind of stew / casserole / curry type of dish.

Pasta with a tomato sauce made from a carton of lidl passata (29p) onion, garlic,herbs and you can also add any bits of leftover veg (courgette, peppers, mushrooms all work well). Add a pinch of chilli powder if you want a bit of a kick. Grate cheese over the top and grill. Add some chopped up bacon if you want a bit of meat in it.

Cooking bacon is great for pasta dishes and I also use it for bacon butties! The rashers are misshaped but taste good!

GrandPoohBah Sun 10-Mar-13 16:01:41

Chicken thighs (5 for £1.99 from Aldi), roasted in the oven with assorted veg, plus either couscous or mashed potato.

MrsPnut Sun 10-Mar-13 15:57:20

I use the frozen casserole veg, £1.25 from sainsbury's (if you do the 2 for £2.50 offer) or £1 from farm foods to make all kinds of stew.

Add a pack of stewing steak chopped up with some hot water, a squeeze of tomato purée and a shake of Worcestershire sauce. I coat the beef with flour to thicken the sauce and make some dumplings from veggie suet (£1.20 a box) with self raising flour and serve with shredded cabbage or broccoli. I only add potatoes if there is very little meat.

I also use the veg with sausages and add a chopped apple. Add some chopped tomatoes and herbs. Serve with a jacket potato.

iseenodust Sun 10-Mar-13 15:53:13

Cook pasta of your choice.
Gently fry onion, bacon, mushrooms and then right at end chuck in 1/2 tub of garlic philadelphia. Tip pasta into pan, stir and serve.

iseenodust Sun 10-Mar-13 15:48:01

Heat gently 1 tin of heinz spicy tom soup £1.30 plus 1 cup of water
add 2 packs mussels from tesco fish fridge section £2.70
cook some rice in separate pan and chuck in some frozen peas. Serve.

nappydaysagain Sun 10-Mar-13 15:47:09

Chicken thighs in a caserole or a tray bake served with rice

bruffin Sun 10-Mar-13 15:46:09

Anything to do with eggs
Spaghetti carbonara
Baked eggs
Omelettes
Also
Risottos
Tuna pasta bake

duckyfuzz Sun 10-Mar-13 15:43:47

Toad in the hole
Sausage (and bacon) casserole
Spicy chicken with couscous
Baked potatoes, crispy bacon, melted cheese, salad

Clary Sun 10-Mar-13 15:41:50

Last night I made sausage casserole. Pack of 12 fancy sausages from Asda for £2; onion and a few carrots, can of smart price tomatoes, couple of handfuls of mushrooms (all from asda or better still Aldi); plus mashed potatoes and broccoli that was on offer. Costed it in my head to £4-£4.50 max and it fed five of us.

Also cheap is anything veggie eg veggie stir fry with ginger and garlic to spice it up and those noodles you don't have to cook; or veggie tomato sauce with pasta.

I tend to stretch meat - I buy orgainc chicken breasts but make risotto for us all with just one so about £2.50 of meat, most of a 90p bag of arborio rice, an onion and a couple of leeks, say 60p, and a slather of butter and about 80p of cheese grated in at the end.

Kyrptonite Sun 10-Mar-13 15:38:34

Marking my place for my online shopping order grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now