Best digi box after getting rid of Sky?

(8 Posts)
Wiggy29 Sun 03-Feb-13 09:56:07

Thank you all for your advice. Trying to find out if roku records too and then compare it to freesat.

Fairylea Sat 02-Feb-13 16:09:10

I love freesat. We live in a very rural area where normal freeview doesn't work but the freesat picture is amazing smile

And no subscriber costs. But no you don't get any sky channels.

aladdinsane Sat 02-Feb-13 16:03:20

Can you get sky sports news on a free sat box?
I want to get rid of sky to save money but ds only watches sky sports news - which is because he would like sky sports but is too expensive

BacardiNCoke Sat 02-Feb-13 08:58:14

My dad got me the FreeSat box for Christmas. It does pretty much everything the Sky box does but without the extra channels. You can get iplayer and itv player etc on it too.

ProfYaffle Sat 02-Feb-13 08:54:54

We've got a freeview+ box that does series record etc etc but no online stuff. We have an HDMI cable which connects the laptop to the tv and also get iplayer through the wii. I've recently heard of the roku box which allows you to access internet services (including iplayer, 4od, nowtv and I think netflix) for about £80. We don't have one but it looks interesting.

I got a freeview hd box that records, pauses etc and its great, but in hindsight I wish I'd gone for a freesat box instead as I do miss some of the free to air satellite channels. Ours has youtube and iplayer on but I wish it could get 4OD and itvplayer as well.

orangepudding Sat 02-Feb-13 08:41:58

The ones that can record seem to start at around £100. Perhaps choose one with a twin tuner so yo can record and watch or record two things at once. Decide if you want HD, how many G you want.

Wiggy29 Sat 02-Feb-13 08:27:43

We recently got rid of Sky to save pennies, we still have the box but it doesn't have the 'record' function. We're not bothered about extra channels but just want a box with a one off payment that allows you to record/ series link record as we're rarely in/ awake for the odd thing we do watch on TV.

DP is eager to get one where you can use google on it too but I can't really see the advantage as already have a laptop and a cheap tablet.

Any ideas/ experience in this area? On line prices seem to range from £30-£200 but with no obvious differences? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now