how much is your dual fuel bill?

(145 Posts)
Hattie11 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:39:12

We pay 76 a mth at the moment although I'm frightened once heating kicks in they'll put it up as always happened with previous company.

We are in 3 bed semi with gas central heating. I'm at home most days with 2 youngest. Currently don't have loft insulation, but just installing it hoping it will make a big difference.

So....does our bill seem high or low compared to yours?

edwardsmum11 Thu 18-Apr-13 09:58:28

105 for three bed terrace but have heating on for 19mth old son and use dryer a lot.

FoxyM Fri 19-Apr-13 12:52:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Gullygirl Tue 23-Apr-13 10:51:55

Gosh,I am envious.last quarter our gas and electric were 2000 dollars.No heating,air con on for about 20 days total.Rip off Australia!

bridgelass Thu 13-Jun-13 12:24:29

Im just coming to the end of a duel fuel two year fixed with EOn. We decided to stop using gas as we found it so expensive and purchased a couple of electric dragon oil filled radiators to use instead of gas fires.Ive now discovered that Eon have altered their pricing policy and are now charging separate standing charges for gas and electric. So even though we have to have duel fuel we are now paying extra for the gas standing charge that we dont even use - I know because we are connected to the gas main and we have to have a duel fuel account but this seems unfair. We have signed up with EOn for a one year fixed duel fuel deal from August. Just thought I would share this insight of information with you.
grin) By the way, my direct debit has been £115 and should go up to £130 ....comments/ideas appreciated .

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 13-Jun-13 12:26:04

seems lovely and low to me grin

we're with scottish power and currently pay £173 a month.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 13-Jun-13 12:26:15

oh, it's a 2 bed semi.

Yonihadtoask Thu 13-Jun-13 12:29:10

Not sure - about £160 per month?! A lot anyway.

4 bed cottage - v drafty- can't insulate the loft. Need new windows and doors actually I got rid of the tumble dryer - I bet that it would have been higher if I hadn't.

I am often home in the day, but I try to avoid putting the heating on. DH works at home a lot, but he DOES put the heating on. He also leaves lights on w hen not in the room.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 13-Jun-13 23:06:21

£183 a month for five bed detached. Tumble drier runs very often indeed plus halogen lightbulbs cost a fair amount to use also.

hpeps Tue 08-Oct-13 16:03:31

£233 per month dual fuel with EDF
We have a 5 bed detached edwardian house with massive rooms and 13ft ceilings. Someone is always at home, and the house is never cold.
We should probably go on uswitch to see if we can get a better offer

mrspolkadotty Wed 09-Oct-13 08:34:26

£138 a month, 5 bed 70's semi.

BrownSauceSandwich Fri 11-Oct-13 20:58:46

£80/month based on 24 month average usage, so not expecting it to rise for winter. We have a 3 bed, 1930s semi, exposed location, double glazed, good loft insulation, no cavity wall insulation. Somebody in during the day 3/7 days. We rarely want it roasting, but it's never cold. No tumble drier: we do try to line dry as far as poss, then heated airer for the rest.

dementedma Sat 12-Oct-13 09:07:13

£90 a month for draughty 3 bed flat. No tumble drier, no dishwasher. CH is rubbish so supplement with stand alone heaters in the evening. Everyone out all day.

Sixtiesqueen Sun 13-Oct-13 00:56:35

£180 PCM five bed detached. Only three beds occupied. Dishwasher and dryer. Always switching lights off

ShadeofViolet Mon 14-Oct-13 16:23:44

£115 a month for a 4 bed semi.

We have a smart meter and I have become a bit of a electricity nazi, but it keeps our bills down blush

originalpiratematerial Mon 14-Oct-13 16:26:32

£117 pcm for a three storey cold end-of-terrace Victorian house. But that's not a capped amount - if we use more gas over the winter then I will have to pay the balance come spring. At the moment we are in credit so fingers crossed. My CH hasn't been on yet so far this autumn, planning to go to at least 1 November before it goes on.

bacon Wed 16-Oct-13 14:19:05

I am envious we are on LPG and because we underpaid £108pm its now been hiked up to £186pcm. Extremely expensive and annoying seeing that we live in a new home and just hot water, heating, washing machine and dishwasher. Underfloor heating, thermostats, double glazing and lots of solar gain through the windows I cant understand our usage of 5 litres a day (average home varies 2 - 6 litres per day).

I have no idea on electric as its on the business shared with sheds, yard and another house but £120ish combined seems excellent to me.

I am never a fan of over washing the children either and now its winter they tend to have a wash at the swimming lessons and occasional shower.

Bubbles1066 Sat 19-Oct-13 16:50:00

£120 dual for 3 bed end of terrace. I'm very frugal with gas but it's still high as it's a rented house with an ancient boiler that eats gas. The landlord won't replace it for a more energy efficient one so we have to really watch gas usage as it costs so much. The electric is more than I'd like but I try to limit it by only doing 2 loads in the dryer a week and turning everything off at the wall when not in use. We have smart metres which are really useful as we know exactly how much each gadget/appliance uses and how much it costs.

EBearhug Sat 19-Oct-13 16:58:36

3 bed terrace - Just about to go up to £99 a month, after a £140 rebate from me paying £77 a month. A year ago, I was paying £55 a month, and I still never got in arrears. I cannot see the logic behind it, and I am going to look at switching, though last time I did that, the most I would have saved would have been about £5 a year, and I decided the hassle wasn't worth it for 60p a month.

MinimalistMommi Mon 21-Oct-13 11:51:53

Don't leave things on standby...ever! There's no need to heat rooms that you rarely use. Turn the lights off if no one is in the room. Don't leave your microwave plugged in (it's surprising how much some of them use). You only need to have your hot water on for an hour a day, the tank will stay warm.

I assume about hot water being on for only 1 hour a day, does this not apply to me as we have a combi boiler? I don't have a clue about this stuff so excuse stupid questions.

Pointeshoes Mon 21-Oct-13 12:06:01

£49 for both, with edf, in a new 3 bed house- end of terrace. We use drier just for towels, everything else goes on airers. Water /heating in winter goes on once a day for an hour. Been the same for 18 months now

MinimalistMommi Mon 21-Oct-13 12:08:51

Crikey point that is low !
Wow!

rainsofcastersugar Mon 21-Oct-13 12:12:15

£167 a month for gas and electricity. I live with teenagers who are seemingly useless at finding the 'off switch'.

MinimalistMommi Mon 21-Oct-13 12:12:44

Just checked paperwork:
£35 electric
£46 Gas

Total: £81 per month

Alb we tend to end up in credit over summer which pays for heating over winter if that makes sense.

Drafty terraced two up/two down cottage with single glazing.

MinimalistMommi Mon 21-Oct-13 12:13:10

*also

TheGirlFromIpanema Mon 21-Oct-13 12:17:56

Minimalist a combi-boiler only heats the water you need as you need it so the one hour for water point doesn't apply.

My tip though for combi's is not to turn the hot tap on unless you need a fair amount. So quick handwashing/cup rinsing here is cold water only, <<with soap obvs>>.
When the hot tap is turned on it takes a minute or two for the warm to come through, by which time we've usually switched the tap off again already. So by not turning the hot tap at all we are saving the boiler firing up and the end result is the same but cheaper smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now