Who wants to join me in starting to write a novel in 2013?

(212 Posts)
milk Fri 21-Dec-12 09:37:34

As subject says: Who wants to join me in starting to write a novel in 2013?

I thought we could push each other on to get it finished smile Similar to a losing weight thread, except it would be for gaining words grin

IdiotishPrattle Tue 01-Jan-13 12:22:13

I have scraps of paper, part filled note books, drafts started on the computer, I'd love to just get it all organised and write it out as a novel, so count me in please.

gameday Tue 01-Jan-13 12:37:54

Yes, please. A weekly word goal would help a lot! I tend to let it slip away into the busy nothingness of everyday life... I need accountability. smile

gameday Tue 01-Jan-13 12:41:52

This inspired me to actually look at the current wordcount... about 25K at the moment. I really want to finish the bastard thing this year and no excuses.

JuliaScurr Tue 01-Jan-13 12:51:51

www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/20/how-to-write-premliminary-outline-day-one?intcmp=239

there's more than just day 1 on there

I've got a character sketch, a vague outline and a title

BigSpork Tue 01-Jan-13 13:14:36

It inspired me to have a look at mine as week (51k). Really want to get it finished this year, a weekly goal of 1500 words could be very useful.

For those looking into getting started, I found online writing groups with prompts help me get the juices flowing (Runaway Tales on LiveJournal is good fun, and a lovely community to get feedback from).

I also want to get a diverse group for getting feedback (different points of view can pick of different ideas or issues).

HerBigChance Tue 01-Jan-13 13:17:32

Yes 1500 words a week definitely sounds manageable.

I now need to decide which novel I want to write. I have one that I've done some research on, and have some idea about in my head, but which needs a lot more development. Then another which has minimal development but that I am feeling the stronger 'pull' to write now.

icepole Tue 01-Jan-13 13:39:48

Thanks for the link, printed them all out, I need to get the plot clear in my head and this will help.

roguepixie Tue 01-Jan-13 13:44:52

I'm in!

Always had a desire to write so this will be fun and motivating too.

I will! My book has finally 'happened' in my head - kind of like now it's a memory that i can write down. Just ran to the pc to type up some phrases spinning in my head.

I haven't read the whole thread but a few years ago my sister bought me a course at the local adult college on how to write a novel.

I think I got to about 5000 words due to it being hard to write with baby dds 1&2 and pg with 3 I think...

Anyway I loved the course it was great & I would def recommend people to try it out if your local college offer it.

I am going to write a novel one day I am I am I am.

(after I run a marathon...) grin

milk Tue 01-Jan-13 17:00:28

head aching, will be back tomorrow when I can face putting words together :P

JohnSnowsTie Tue 01-Jan-13 22:00:21

I'm in!

Been talking about this for years - to the point that I'm losing credibility as a would-be writer, so I'm going to just shut up and get on with it in 2013 (lucky for some... wink)

I'm usually a FanFiction writer, which I've found a good way to practice and keep the creativity flowing.

I'm going to give myself January to plan thoroughly. In the meantime I'm off to check out Runaway Tales on LJ - thanks for that, BigSpork!

Good luck all.

BlackSwan Tue 01-Jan-13 22:26:51

I have no idea what I would write about, but I'm going to start something. Let's see how this goes...

Impressed by Wordfactory being contracted to write a book a year. Can't imagine the creative pressure. I was often the 'night before' type when it came to college essays. In Wordfactory's place I would likely have a blank sheet until December!

freemanbatch Tue 01-Jan-13 23:31:58

Can I join?

I wrote 220000 words of fanfic last year including one story that went over 60000 words but I want to try my hand at original characters and figure other people doing the same might give me a push smile

Good luck everyone

trustissues75 Wed 02-Jan-13 01:07:11

Unexpected - NaNo is national novel writing month; it happens every November across the world and the target is to write 50k (as imperfect as you like) in a month. It's a lot of fun

trustissues75 Wed 02-Jan-13 01:12:21

Word - a book a year?! I can't even imagine writing one every 3. Wow.

InsomniaQueen Wed 02-Jan-13 01:25:22

Can I join? So far have around 15000 words from 3 novels that I've started and never finished. I always begin with such high hopes but end up losing my way a lot of the time.

wordfactory Wed 02-Jan-13 09:17:59

Trust- unfortunately it is the reality of commercial fiction. Publishers want regular books. And authors want contracts.

Here's some cheery news - dd wrote a book, sent it to an agent and they sent back some personalised advice (pages!) ; i (endlessly put this on here) wrote a book, sent it on spec, and the agent asked for the rest of it. So, it is doable to write a book and get it seen. Bit of hope for those of us trying again?

theoriginalandbestrookie Wed 02-Jan-13 12:09:29

Can I join too, although I'm trying to do more words per week I'm aiming for at least 5000 - which is working well at the minute because I'm off work , suspect it will slow down when I go back.

I'm writing a romance, have got to 22,000 words, need 30,000 more to fit the M&B criteria and I'm just having a bit of writers block at the minute because the synopsis I put together would only take it to about 30k.

Great news about your DD notactuallyme - has it been published?

tiggy114 Wed 02-Jan-13 18:48:37

I'm going to join if thats ok. I'm going to read the whole thread tonight and do the excercises. I havn't even an i dea for a novel yet. Just a vague notion. But i always wanted to write so maybe it's fate that i found this thread.

InsomniaQueen Wed 02-Jan-13 20:33:40

As DD decided she didn't want to go to sleep until after 2am I thought I would be productive and start some character profiles for my novel. I used this site: www.writerswrite.com/journal/jun98/lazy2.htm and have found myself actually getting somewhere with my characters.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 02-Jan-13 21:38:17

Thanks for the link Insomnia much appreciated. I think where I have failed in the past is I've just started writing, assuming a fully formed novel would just appear out of the end of my pen. Planning is working much better.

InsomniaQueen Wed 02-Jan-13 23:20:04

Unexpected - that is exactly where ive fallen down - so I'm going to do it differently this time. I'm going to get my characters together, write my synopsis and actually do my research before I kick off any writing.

I do feel that I have alot of stories to tell - I just seem to get side tracked with new ideas. I was having a tidy round and I've found 2 USB sticks with another 4 started but unfinished novels. If I actually get anywhere with is one it would be good to finish those up.

InsomniaQueen Thu 03-Jan-13 00:49:55

Another late night here - but I've managed to write a basic synopsis. This is the furthest planning wise I have ever come so I'm very pleased. Now that I have this I can flesh out my character profiles.

Was this weeks task to write 1500 as well as the character profiles?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now