Who wants to join me in starting to write a novel in 2013?

(212 Posts)
milk Fri 21-Dec-12 09:37:34

As subject says: Who wants to join me in starting to write a novel in 2013?

I thought we could push each other on to get it finished smile Similar to a losing weight thread, except it would be for gaining words grin

milk Fri 21-Dec-12 11:06:14

I find ideas flow better by hand smile

TheGreatGatsby Fri 21-Dec-12 12:22:51

Excellent, thanks for organising!! Packing for Christmas away, and looking after the baby, but somewhere in between I shall grab some time to start my brainstorming...!

milk Fri 21-Dec-12 13:00:35

TheGreatGatsby How old is your baby?

I have DS1 aged 21mo and DS2 aged 11 weeks smile

They are a handful, but a lot of fun smile

TheGreatGatsby Fri 21-Dec-12 15:10:48

He is 9 weeks today! Yes exactly as you say, a handful but a lot of fun! I came to motherhood late, I am 37 and he is my first - and only, I am guessing - which makes it all so precious smile

milk Fri 21-Dec-12 16:37:33

I truly believe motherhood is a challenge at any age! smile

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Fri 21-Dec-12 16:48:11

Can I hide at the back too?

I've been writing a fanfic story this week. Its a 12 days of Christmas story so 12 updates on consecutive nights, all at around 3000 words. It really does motivate you when you have a deadline like that. I am on my knees with it and I've still got 4 days to go.

Can I join too please? I've done a first draft but now need to massively improve it. Sigh.

SnowProbs Fri 21-Dec-12 19:15:31

Ok, gonna try to do the brainstorm thing this week, then grin

1500 words a week sounds scary <swallows hard> but I could make it a NY resolution....

milk Fri 21-Dec-12 20:37:13

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou - Welcome smile I like the sound of giving fanfic as a gift smile

Thisisaeuphemism- Welcome smile how long is your first draft?

SnowProbs It is my NY resolution too smile

Today I am up to 975 words, but I am only just beginning so when the newness has worn off I am sure my writing will slow down lol.

milk Sat 22-Dec-12 20:47:43

No work for me today, as it was birthday, then I'll be in Xmas mode until 27th so I'll report back some time after.

pillowcase Sat 22-Dec-12 22:01:08

I'll join you even if I'm editing in Jan, hoping to finish in a month and start submitting.

btw what's fanfic?

tinselahohoho Sat 22-Dec-12 22:04:52

I've been planning to do this for three years - THREE! - and have written hee-haw. I do write in my mind on dog walks though, so hoping it's all there . . . can't start till last week in January though, but I can just catch up. Need to do it quicker than a year though, and know that I won't do exercises, I have to just get stuck in, is that OK?

First draft about 85000 - I have no prob with quantity, just fall down on quality!

I got a local book group to read it last summer and got some good feedback, but since then I've been unable to do a thing with it.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Mon 24-Dec-12 07:57:00

This thread has kick started me. I have started books before but never got anywhere.

I saved the Guardian supplement from October which summarised the book 'how to write a novel in 30 days' and got it out yesterday. I now have the bones of 4 character sketches and am feeling a little more hopeful...

pillowcase Mon 24-Dec-12 14:02:15

Hi unexpected,
is that a book by Wiesman (sp?) If so, I used it before and loved it. Sometimes we know what needs to be done but it's good to have an order/sequence. well done on getting started.

icepole Fri 28-Dec-12 10:25:31

I would like to do this, never written a thing before then did nanowrimo. What I wrote was awful but I enjoyed it and I would like to try to write something better.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sat 29-Dec-12 16:55:09

Hello pillowcase,

Yes, that's the one. I don't have the book, just the Guardian extract. I do need some structure, although I haven't done anything more since the last update blush

icepole Sat 29-Dec-12 20:57:21

Did the guardian supplement have worksheets with it? I have found it on line but all the links seem to be broken.

Ooh, I'd love to join! Always wanted to write a novel! Also on mat leave at the moment!

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sun 30-Dec-12 21:40:29

icepole - the worksheets should be at www.guardian.co.uk/sign-in/howtowrite

trustissues75 Mon 31-Dec-12 14:43:06

Can I join? I wrote a 50ker for NaNo in 2010 and since then nothing...I really need to get back to it.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 01-Jan-13 07:58:36

trust what's NaNo?

I'm still pottering through my character sketches. I'm just trying to decide whether to make someone a widower or divorced...

Kveta Tue 01-Jan-13 09:09:13

ooh, I'm sorely tempted to try this. Need to think about it, I have ideas, but am too lazy to flesh them out! maybe I just need to be nagged?

wordfactory Tue 01-Jan-13 09:12:33

I'm a novelist and am contracted to bring out a book a year.

I'm always more than haoppy to lend support and advice, where needed.

fuzzpig Tue 01-Jan-13 09:41:51

I will quietly lurk too. smile

I am amazed that I actually came up with an idea for a book a couple of months ago. I've written lots of notes about the characters, plot, subplot etc.

This is a massive thing for me as I've really struggled with anything imaginative/creative. But I am too scared to actually start writing properly.

I'm working FT currently and was recently diagnosed with CFS/ME so I'm not sure how feasible it is to want to do this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now