Anyone find that what they like to read isn't the same as what they're good at writing?

(2 Posts)
VisuallyChallengedFiend Tue 10-Jul-12 15:31:18

E.g., I really enjoy literary fiction - Ian McEwan, Julian Barnes, Hilary Mantel, Rose Tremain, Alan Hollinghurst to name a few.

But that isn't what I am good at writing at all - I'm much better at more plot-driven stuff like thrillers, crime fiction etc. and that is what I mostly write (nothing published yet). I guess it's fine, and at least I have something that I find I'm OK at. I do enjoy reading thrillers and crime fiction too. But periodically I get a bit depressed that I will never be able to produce something along the lines of fiction that I really admire and think is wonderful. It's not just a literary snobbery thing - I do really enjoy lit fic, couldn't put On Chesil Beach and The Line of Beauty down...

Anyone else find this?

HelpWhatToDo Wed 11-Jul-12 00:33:44

I only write for fun, but when I do I'm quite comedic in style.

In 'real life' I mainly read biographies and factual books, history, psychology and the like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now