This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

My fear of the cotbed (John Lewis, Toronto) Advice please...

(8 Posts)
flark Wed 24-Apr-13 22:07:31

Hi There, We have just put our cot bed together as our son has out grown his basket. However I notice there is a wee gap (2cms) between the mattress and the bars. We bought the recommended size from JL along with the cot bed. Having read the tragic story of baby Ainslie Smith I'm totally freaked about moving him into the cot bed. Has anyone else got the Toronto? Do you notice a wee gap or have we made a huge mistake when putting it together?? Thanks

Skygirls Wed 24-Apr-13 23:25:45

I don't have a Toronto, but my cotbed (also from JL-similar to the Mika) does not have a gap at all.

I don't think there should be any gap at all, for safety reasons.

Have you put sheets and blankets on the mattress? Does this fill the gap? If so, and you are happy with that, then you could put baby to sleep on top of the sheets and blankets and put baby in a grobag?

If I wasn't happy, I would return it and get another cot with a mattress that fits snugly. You don't want to take any chances.

HTH

flark Thu 25-Apr-13 10:26:34

Thanks Skygirls, this confirms my instincts. I haven't put sheets etc on the bed yet but feel it should fit snugly regardless. I'll have to do another trip to JL today and discuss it with them, perhaps swap it for the Mika!
x

flark Thu 25-Apr-13 14:19:41

JL got in touch to say it conforms to safety standards and that I just need to check any gap is less than 3cms. They gaps are about 2cm so I guess that's ok though my instinct says otherwise.... hmmm

Skygirls Thu 25-Apr-13 19:10:54

If the cotbed is new, you have the right to return it for a full refund. So if you like another cotbed and mattress more, then exchange.

Always go with your gut feeling.

flark Fri 26-Apr-13 13:50:42

Thanks skygirls the support is much appreciated

givemeaclue Fri 26-Apr-13 13:56:07

Swap it if you aren't happy. I have the Ellen
it is great

hufflebottom Fri 26-Apr-13 14:43:21

change it, tell jl you aren't happy with the fact there is a gap and you want to exchange it.

if not i got a cotbed from ikea and it's brill

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now