Note: This topic is for discussing cots and beds. If you want to buy and sell cots or beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Cot/Cot Bed advice needed please

(6 Posts)
scoutfinch1 Sat 09-Feb-13 21:13:23

We are expecting DC1 and don't know what to do about cots. We want a moses basket for the first few weeks/months but then don't know what to do after that.

The problem that we haveis that in our bedroom we can fit a cot but not a cotbed. However, it is very likely that we will move house , but this could be at any point from the baby being a few months old. We do want the baby in our room until 6 months I think.

Basically the dilemma is do we buy a cot in advance knowing that once baby will outgrow the moses they can go straight in the cot in our room or is it much more sensible to wait and maybe get a cot bed after we move? If baby is in our room though until 6months there is a chance that wherever we move to it might still not fit in our room. Or what happens if baby outgrows moses very quickly. Are cotbeds always a better idea? What are peoples opinions. We did consider a crib but not sure that solves the dilemma and could be additional expense?

Also, is there any point in buying an expensive cot or cot bed? Am I being silly in not seeing the advantages once you have the basic features (adjustable heights, dropside, and teething rail) MIL said stokkes cots are the best and although I do see they can last an incredibly long time are more expensive cots of any type worth the money?

Sorry about the long garbled post. Please help.

didireallysaythat Sat 09-Feb-13 21:21:48

If you think you won't have a cot for long, buy second hand perhaps and then you could get a cot bed after you move. We were lucky and had space for a cot bed which we moved to at 3 months. I can't get excited about spending a lot of money you don't use for long.... But a cot or cotbed that has an action allowing you to drop the side with just one hand I think is essential as you'll never remember to leave the side down and its hard to keep them asleep as you try and use both hands while not dropping the baby...

scoutfinch1 Sat 09-Feb-13 21:28:48

Thanks, I will look at that. The only problem then is would end up having to buy a new mattress for a cot that might only be used for a few months. I don't want to sound tight but just want to spend money wisely.

That is a great tip! I will add one handed to my list of must have features.

didireallysaythat Sat 09-Feb-13 22:59:36

That's not tight - its prudent. Lawd knows everything is expensive. We had a third hand moses basket and if you swaddle you maybe able to use a basket for 3+ months. Swaddling is great for some - YouTube can help you here ! Good luck !

(Of course there's no real reason to have a cot when a mattress on the floor works fine to begin with - another lower cost option.... Although I suspect MILs won't - I know mine wouldn't...)

didireallysaythat Sat 09-Feb-13 23:00:21

Won't like that should have said.....

Quilty Sun 10-Feb-13 11:07:10

Could start with a crib rather than Moses basket, will last you longer until baby is around 5/6 months. Would give you a bit more time to work out what to do next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now