This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Baby mattresses online - too many choices!

(10 Posts)
shop1909 Tue 07-Aug-12 18:58:58

Hi

Our crib is an unusual size and have heard good things about this website for mattresses and they will make them made to measure. However I am completely overwhelmed by the number of choices they have available - fillings, covers, ventilation holes etc and have no idea what I want! Any advice much appreciated. ( I've always found crib mattresses to feel a bit "cheap" but know it is British standards for them to only be 4cm thick?)

Also has anyone any experience of their sheets as thought if they are made to measure might be good for the unusual size ( works out 35.5 by 86cm) but can't "see" them first!

Thanks for any help smile

Whiteshoes Tue 07-Aug-12 21:57:21

I would go very cheap and then when baby has sicked up and weed on it, buy a nice one then! Not sure if very cheap is an option though for you.

shop1909 Wed 08-Aug-12 09:03:16

I could get another one later on you're right, and the crib is only for while he's in our room with us, his cot will obviously have a different mattress. Would like him to be nice and comfortable when he's really small smile I guess I just wondered when there were so many choices to pick from if by spending the £5 -£10 extra if it was going to make a difference from people's experiences.

We've always just bought basic foam mattresses with plastic covers, and put nice soft sheets over the top. Our eldest is now 3 and still perfectly comfortable on a foam mattress - why waste money on anything more?

AmandinePoulain Wed 08-Aug-12 09:10:07

We too have an unusual crib, and bought mattresses from babymattressesonline. Dd's was foam, with ventilation holes, and PVC cover below the holes. She seemed comfortable enough on it, but for dd2 (due in 12 days not that I'm counting we went for foam with corovin (?sp) cover because it's breathable and wipe clean, and no ventilation holes because baby sick is impossible to clean out of them properly! Luckily dd wasn't a sicky baby and when ordering hers I naively thought that ventilation holes sounded safer, now I'm not so sure.

AmandinePoulain Wed 08-Aug-12 09:11:37

They've got a really good FAQ questions section with information on all the different options on the website.

shop1909 Wed 08-Aug-12 16:49:18

Thanks everyone, I was looking at the corovin covers so will probably go with one of those. I guess the ventilation holes are just preference - you're right they give the impression of sounding "safer" but also a right pain if they are sick.... !

stripes02 Fri 10-May-13 11:00:07

I used babymatressonline for our cotbed and the mattress was very good, so I ordered dd's big girl bed mattress from them having bought the frame on ebay. Well, now on my second day of waiting in, with no delivery time estimate available, I'm telling you I am regretting that decision! Unless they can improve their delivery service or you have several days to sit at home and wait and I would not recommend this. Shame cos the cotbed mattress was very nice quality.

stripes02 Fri 10-May-13 15:21:07

still waiting.... having been told to "phone back this afternoon if it doesn't arrive" when I rang back I find out they are closed friday afternoons....angry

leigh90 Thu 16-May-13 10:25:17

I have used Baby Mattresses Online three times now and found them really helpful, yes you do have to wait in all day for delivery but that's the delivery companies issue surely? I've never had to wait more than one day for delivery unless I had to nip out.

I did once need the delivery urgently and was only available to take delivery in the morning, however at a small premium I was able to upgrade the delivery for a pre-12 delivery and all was fine!

Admittedly there is a lot of choice on their website which is a little bit daunting confused but I called them up and spoke to two girls who were more than happy to help! Which was great as one of the mattresses I needed was boat shaped with chamfered sides grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now