Anyone here got pregnant whilst on Implanon?

(287 Posts)
Haribosmum Wed 08-Aug-07 08:24:03

Just asking because I've been on it for 6 months and bled every month...except this month. I am sure I'm just having a month 'off' due to the Implanon but I have been feeling sick,headachy etc. Probabaly or pyschological or a bug but I was just wondering......

RachyAii Tue 04-Jan-11 23:06:51

hi, i am 19 and on my second implanon, which has been in for about a year. i rarley get periods and never know when they are going to come. i am worried as i seen on the news that hunderds of women on the implant have fell pregnant and i want to know if its possible, and also, mines feels thinner in the middle, like its about to snap, is this possible and is it affecting the way it works? hmm

Steph85 Tue 04-Jan-11 23:13:52

Hi, my post is pretty much like the rest, I have had my implanon for 6 months. Had no problems with previous implanons but this one has been inserted incorrectly, it's at a wrong angle and into the muscle rather than under the skin, I have heard that if they are inserted incorrectly it can cause them to not work efficiently. I have been having all the typical pregnancy symptoms, pretty much the same as with my first pregnancy, and my lower belly where my uterus I'd feels harder than normal most of the time but then goes soft again. Can HPTs really be cancelled out by the implanon? Am I at risk of an eptopic pregnancy?
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks, steph

nannyl Wed 05-Jan-11 19:19:34
Lpoolsandra Thu 06-Jan-11 17:30:43

I have the implanon implant, been in since Nov 10. A couple of friends had it, and sung its praie. I have not had any peroids which is brillant, I wish i had known about the implant sooner. I was 46 when i had it put in, the doctor said usually they do not put them in older women. I am due to have it removed in Nov 12, and want another, i have had no problems whatever. However my partner nearly fell through the floor when he read the article in [Daily Mirror 6 Jan 11] that 600 women have got pregnant. There is no way i want a baby am too old, and my son is 29. I would be horrified if i got pregnant, is anyone else worried? angry

Kirstiee Mon 10-Jan-11 11:01:02

Hello all, I had the implanon in for 2 years but wanted to try for a baby with my partner of 4 years so had it removed 10th Dec, recently I have had if not all of the pregnancy symptoms. My uterus is bloated which is strange as I have always had a small waist.

Took a hpt twice which both showed negative,
Had a show around n.y.e which was light spotting. sickness started 2 days ago.

Can you help into what action is the best to take now?

My sister has 4 children but with her 2nd she didnt find out she was pregnant until 5months, I don't want to wait that long....

Thanking you in advance. xxxx

AMIExxx Wed 12-Jan-11 22:14:05

Hi, i'm only 16 and had the implant fitted in July 2009 haven't had a period at all since it was fitted which i suppose has been an advantage. However after all the news stories i read somewhere that the implant should be fitted between your 1st and 5th day of your period and i was not on at all when mine was put in. A few months ago i began having pregnancy symptoms such as tender breasts, feeling sick, headaches and i'm very moody. I have also gained a lot of weight in the last few months although it is not like a bump but i have been dieting since after xmas but the weight doesnt seem to be budging. I did a home pregnancy test in September 2010 which was negative but it still hasn't put my mind to rest.
Has anyone got any advice?
I dunno what to do xxx

crazybeautiful Thu 13-Jan-11 14:20:39

Hi I've been reading these posts and tbh its kinda unsettling. I first heard about the implanton from a friend and of course I went along to get it inserted into my left arm. In that time I've lost alot of weight due to work commitments and started to feel the implant in my arm when I was moving my arm.

I was told there wasnt anything wrong with that. Like most of you on here, I too went a bit crazy on it, being paranoid, jumping to conclusions, headaches / migranes, feeling sick, tired all the time, bleeding, moodiness, anxiety, emotional and just felt and feeling depressed but have been trying to get over all of that.

I bled for a solid 6 months - tampax made an absolute fortune out of me lol. It then stopped and then I was like thank god! the last 2-3 days ive felt sick, tired, look run down, bloated tummy and started to bleed, breasts are really sore, nipples are slightly darker, and I dont think I've gained any weight.

In one way id like to be pregnant and in a way not just now. Im 30 in a few months time so its not that big of deal. I only took implanton because im fed up having my periods every month and wanted a break so why not have the best of both worlds and have it done? now Im seriously considering to have it removed because the side effects are bad, the news reports are now saying its not as safe as they had hoped it would be and women are falling pregnant, plus I cant be doing with anymore bleeding.

Im in a long term relationship but dont want to be throwing that little chestnut to my other half at the moment it would just complicate our lives at the moment.

I do feel for the women on the forum and others too if this hasnt worked for them, if I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldnt have gotten it done.

shawtie Mon 17-Jan-11 21:58:29

hi ive been on the implanon for 6months..ive been havin iregular perionds since then..but for the past week and a half ive been having pains in the lower part of my stomach and back..been falling asleep at odd times,feeling ill and bloated and have this weird taste in my mouth that i cant get rid of.been to the doctors and the did a urine sample for any infections..that came back ok..there was neva any took about being pregnati guess that becoz i'm on the implant..but these pains have been hair constantly for the past week and becomin very fustratin..my minds all ova the place wonderin if am pregnant..any views anyone am new to this all

phan Tue 18-Jan-11 02:17:35

Hi I guess I'm like everyone else I had my implanon put in on my 5th day of my period in august of 2010. I'm n a commited relationship and we have used condoms 100% up untill november now since then I gain about 25lbs I'm n college n everytime I come home my family swear I'm preggo. I went to the doc for a pap and ask for a test and they said the same thing that I can't be pregnant. And refuse to give me a test so I took a hpt but I was negative.. in the six months I been on I had two period one in october and one now in jan.. also like everyone else I have the baby bump with the crazy (()) stretchmarks around my belly button...I don't know what todo me and boyfriend are in our early 20's we just not ready for a kids even though we both have great jobs and a stable home... idk what to I feel sooo paranoid

donnamarie1983 Sun 23-Jan-11 22:54:16

any 1 got pregnant with no periods, lower belly swollen ,wiggles, sore boobs, back pain,

already got 2 kids and feel the same as when i had them, and people are askin me ifim up the duff,

ladies could do with sum advise and hope im bein stupid but gettin this thing out my arm

imadilemma Sun 23-Jan-11 23:21:04

just a word here i fell preg on the pill when i was 19 and i took a HPT and showed up so fast that i was preg, so i had a lot of faith in them, i fell preg a second time on the pill
a year later turns out it wasn't gluten free and my husband at the time left me he didn't want another one so i had an abortion and the ....(insert whatever u like)angry left me anyway. my now current hubby wanted a baby so i stopped taking the deprovera injections and we tried for a bub took a few months but i fell preg this time with twins but even though i had so much hormone cause of the 2 babies not 1 HPT showed up positive went to the dr and he couldn't believe how quickly his little pee test showed it up
dont always rely on the HPT's
only problem i have is i always wanted 3 pregnancies as i said i have 3 kids 3 beautiful annoying handful boys...wish i had a girlsad i want my third pregnancy even if its a boy again at least i had my 3 attempts my hubby doesn't think we have room or can afford it i grew up in family of 4 kids and he is mistaken but i just wanna say anyone preg out there ur so lucky and fortunate and even on a pitence u cant afford not to have them in ur armssmile my implanon is due to run out in 3 months and i'm over all the mock pregnancies i've had through it i want the real deal again and u know where u can stick the mood swings i've been on and off antidepressants through the whole thing...thinking copper iud this time no hormones with it

ZaidensMommy Tue 25-Jan-11 21:03:55

(long story but you may find it interesting) I just spent quit a bit of time reading everyones posts in this thread and have read quite a few others and there are much more ppl getting pregnant than i expected after reading the official implanon site any ways, i got the implanon about two years ago shortly after my first child and have been miserable since i had my preiod for a year staight with a day off here and there it started to even out and seem more regular but after so long i dont even know wht a regular period is like any more this is now my second time feeling pregnant and all my friends asking me if i am pregnant i went to the doctor last time which was in november the doc told me i had fibrosic lumps or something like that in my breasts and that was where all the pain and swelling has come from all a side affect of hormones before a period and my head aches where caused by too much caffine or lack of and my stomach pains where caused by the advil i was taking for my headaches well now im having pains in my breast ten times worse and my only bra that fits now is my old pregnancy bra i have gained weight i am an emotional roller coaster i have headaches constantly i am having pains in my sides and lower abdomen i am tiered all the time but i have stopped everything the doc said i was doing wrong but after reading all these posts i find it hard to trust the docs any more has any one ever had these side affects? could i be pregnant or is this birth contol just a piece of shit and making me misserable????!!!

agne Thu 27-Jan-11 08:45:36

i had an implanon for 3months. my period late 2weeks. cant feel a thing. just did a test ant its positive. have a baby, he is just 7months old, had section....confused

angelz79 Wed 02-Feb-11 12:11:20

hi, had implanon inserted 02.2010. was havin the injection but had a few months were it was a nitemare gettin the next injection on time due to sick kids/parents/myself etc, so opted for implant. NO probs at all, no periods,no sore breasts, no pmt. thought it was fab, and didnt need to worry bout gettin preggers for 3yrs!! wahoo....!? but suffered a HORRIFIC MC last wk. i had what i can only describe as mildish (not full blown anyway) contractions the wk b4, on an off for several days that took my breath away. then they jus stopped. a few days after they stopped is when i had MC. was v ill and lost a lot of blood, only startin to feel better the last few days. nurse at hosp was crap, and basically said that it sounded like a heavy period 'AS U CANT GET PREG ON IMPLANON'(WTF?!! er, think i know the diff, and after readin the previous comments, i think we all know thats sooooo not true!!). tho saw gp followin day who was wonderful, and listened to me. feel emotionally raw at mo, and still in shock. but am TERRIFIED of going thru it again. want to stick to implanon as am hoping (& praying) that it was jus bad luck and a one off. am jus wondering if anybody else has had a second MC??
thanks for takin time to read this, and if anyone else has gone thru same thing, my thoughts are with u x x x x

fibigrey Wed 02-Mar-11 02:18:34

I found this forum, and see that there are still responses, from years back until now.. I had the implanon put in around May 2010.. I had nonstop periods for about the first 6 months, and then they just quit. I have been having intense pregnancy symptoms for the past few weeks. Very sore, swollen, tender breasts, and I have even lactated! I also am bloated, have put on about 30lbs since starting implanon, I get sick after eating things, and I swear to god I feel something moving inside of my belly, OFTEN. I have taken a HPT with a negative result, and discussed it with my doctor, she doesn't think I need to be concerned, that it is VERY unlikely that I would get pregnant while on implanon and that its probably some other hormonal reason for my symptoms. I still requested a blood test, and had that done this afternoon... The only thing is I don't know WHICH type of blood test they did. I read online there are two different tests they can do to determine pregnancy, one is not accurate in early pregnancy, and another one is always accurate. Not sure why they even bother with the first one if its not accurate, but.. yeah.. I am awaiting the results of that.. I feel like I'm insane. Like I must be having a phantom pregnancy or something, because EVERYONE tells me how unlikely it is to become pregnant while on implanon. I hope thats true. My baby girl is almost 11 months old (I also have a 6 year old) and my pregnancy was very hard. I was on bedrest and had to have surgery at 14 weeks. I can't go through another pregnancy like that right now.

This forum is SO long its hard to sort through the information.. I see a good number of posters about becoming pregnant while on implanon.. I hope my symptoms are in my head.

JusWondering Thu 10-Mar-11 16:30:12

Hello ladys, i have had the implanon for about 6 to 7 months and i Now feel pregnant. More then my last pregnancy. And i really think i am but i need to know for sure?? I have a DR apt on monday but i need to know from you ladys when you became pregnant with implanon, did you get neg on a test??Because thats all i get are neg's!! This is so not good, if i am im def going to get this crap out of my arm. Reelinggreatgran, or ellenbellon if you could answer my ? that would be great

JusWondering Sun 13-Mar-11 21:35:53

Hi Fibigrey, i was just wondering if you went to the dr yet??
And if so what did they say? If you dont mid me asking

gigglefi Tue 15-Mar-11 13:53:17

this thing needs to be banned we don't have very good experience1
I had mine since April 2010 I have two kids I started feeling funny early this year never had any periods since on it but spotted new year and also feel dizzy sore boobs moody tired big tum all signs of preg

I spoke to my doc about feeling depressed on it he said was winter blues and to wait til had been on it a year and then even then he would be terribly busy and was a two person job to remove - made me feel awkrawrd

I am thinking oh shit what if I am pregnant on this is does happen as i've been reading I am seeing him tonight going to mention this

I HATE THIS IMPLANON

gigglefi Tue 15-Mar-11 14:04:44

ps please update us with the results of if you are pregnant on it !

Alysha92 Sun 03-Apr-11 10:34:47

hi i am just curious i have had the implanon in for 18 months now and i have had my normal periods up untill now and i havent had them for 4 weeks and also i have had stomach cramps and also cant stop weeing and getting bigger in my belly and also sore boobs do you think i might be pregnant?

ashley17 Sat 09-Apr-11 21:28:04

hiya, im wondering if i could get some advise.
ive had the implanon for about 6 months now and i have not had normal periods for about 4 months now, i only sometimes get spots of blood.
just recently i have been experiencing dizzy spells when i stand up, i always need to pee, i get very sore heads and sometimes tummy pains.
do you think i could be pregnant or is it just a phase ?

Litaawhaat Wed 20-Apr-11 23:51:15

Hey everyone. My name is Lita. I too, am on Implanon. I've been on it since September 2010(almost exactly 6 months to date). I thought it would be a great form of birth control considering I've been pregnant twice(1 miscarriage, one abortion). I am only 17, but am in a stable relationship. I haven't had a period for about 3 months. I had my period for the first three months, but now they're funky. My breasts are a bit sore and I've gained some weight. I have been having pain all over my body, but it doesn't seem like enough to think I'm pregnant. After reading this thread, I'm a bit apprehensive towards my situation. I'm really considering seeing my doctor.

magicmespecial Tue 26-Apr-11 13:57:05

I had my 1st implanon fitted in 2006, for the 1st 6 month I never got any periods at all....which was great until they came back paying for it. From then on and even now while on my second Implanon which is due to run out in Nov I get 2 periods a month. The bleeding starts and lasts for about 3 - 4 days stops between 4 - 7 days and comes back on again for between 3 - 7 days. I hate it but just accepted it as I dont end up pregnant.
The thing is I think I might be now, I cant say when my period is due with them being so crazy but I thought between the 14th - 25th. I am tired alot, moody, have sore breasts, craving foods, feeling sick in the moring at at meal times and occasionaly get dizzy and hot.
I have taken 2 pregnancy tests one on the 14th and the other on the 24th but as of yet they have been negative.......

I'll prob wait another week or so and test again, will let u know.

wanab Fri 29-Apr-11 10:42:07

I got implanon in January the day before all the news came out about people getting pregnant on it...
I got married in August last year and so thought it would be ideal to wait 3 years before starting a family together. I really want children but know we are not financially ready yet and while I am ready emotionally I'm not sure my husband is. Before getting the implant and since I got it I've been on constant periods- so annoying! Hoping they sort themselves out soon.
However the last month I've had occasional sore breasts, being extra broody, and heightened sense of taste. No concrete symptoms but I 'feel' pregnant. I don't want to pay for a HPT just yet so will wait a month or so and see if anything progresses- i'm probably just been paranoid/hopeful. I think reading these forums makes it worse :P. If it continues will go to the doctors for a urine test. - I did get a FBC test and Iron levels test last week but I don't think this would show anything pregnancy related?!? Does anyone know? My husband thinks I'm being silly, but said to get a HPT if I really think I could be. Will keep people updated.

txchick81 Wed 04-May-11 06:45:36

My symptoms are so different from the aforementioned people. I had my implanon inserted in October 2010, 2 months after I had my daughter. Never got a period after the post delivery period and still haven't had one since insertion of the implanon.
I haven't had concern about it for the past six months since my doctor said that this was possible. I naturally had missed months of periods at a time my whole life. As a matter of fact, my previous doctor said it would be nearly impossible for me to become pregnant. As my luck would have it I ended up pregnant and didn't know until I was 12wks pregnant with no pregnancy symptoms.
I have recently gained back some of the 20lbs I had lost post pregnancy and have become sensitive to smells and vomiting everyday for the past couple weeks. Not to mention the extreme sleepiness- which could be part of waking up to a screaming teething 8month old. I assumed it was food poisoning. I have had a number of people ask if I am pregnant lately. All this has been unusual to me and has stirred up my curiosity. Sure enough,I took an over the counter pregnancy test today and it came out positive. shock
Now I am going to schedule an appointment to see the doctor because I still can't believe this. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now