No thanks, I'm um eh...

(11 Posts)
HettySunshine Fri 07-Dec-12 19:07:30

So the Christmas party season is upon us once again. grin

I'm recently started TTC and I haven't told any of my team at work. I've decided to quit drinking straight away, just to be on the safe side, which isn't too much of problem as I didn't drink much anyway. The only thing is I have three work do's in the next few weeks and people are bound to ask why I'm not drinking (I have drank with them in the past).

Does anyone have an easy answer to the inevitable questions?

Creamtea1 Fri 07-Dec-12 19:16:59

On antibiotics for sinus infection/water infection/etc or driving as you have to collect DH from his do on the way home? Or driving as you're skint as you've spent a lot on presents? Or just fake drink, ie drink coke and say its vodka and coke.

bugoven Fri 07-Dec-12 19:39:45

I had a brilliant time on Mocktails at a Hen Do recently, barely spent anything and no one questioned what I was drinking smile

Persuasion Fri 07-Dec-12 19:43:18

People will think you're pregnant if you say antibiotics. Driving is good, and getting a drink and carrying it round, taking slow sips (or pretend sips if you're being really strict), and pouring bits away every now and then. Or ask batman to make your ce in a vodka and coke glass etc

bugoven Fri 07-Dec-12 20:57:00

smile if Batman's at the party no one will notice if you're drinking or not. He he.

duchesse Fri 07-Dec-12 21:03:28

Get DH to make your drinks and make sure he's briefed to supply you only with G&T without the G. That's how we got through Christmas with a 7 week pregnancy (although I had already been rumbled during wassailing a few days before Christmas, as it turns out). Good luck!

duchesse Fri 07-Dec-12 21:07:13

PS: everyone uses the ABs one. Driving might be a better bet. Although TBH until the embryo implants it's not getting any alcohol from you so as long as you kept your consumption moderate (ie so it's not bathing in an alcoholic soup) you'd be fine. Even after implantation it takes quite a lot to cause any damage.

ZombieTipple Fri 07-Dec-12 22:20:32

You'd be better accepting a drink or buying one, nursing it and sipping. Just drink it slowly, once everyone else has had a couple they honestly won't notice. What Duchesse says is right, you don't need to stop completely. It can take a while to get success so if you enjoy a drink just have a few.

DewDr0p Fri 07-Dec-12 22:23:01

Accept one G&T at the start of the night, nurse it and replace with soda water when it's your round.

I wouldn't worry too much though, as duchesse said, the embryo won't be getting any booze until it's implanted.

HettySunshine Sat 08-Dec-12 11:01:32

Thanks everyone, one g&t then plenty of soda water sounds like the key. The advice is much appreciated. Eek! smile

twinklestar2 Sun 09-Dec-12 18:50:24

Say you're too hungover from the night before!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now