The Mumsnet house swaps topic is intended for Mumsnet members who want to organise house swaps with other members. It's not for individuals or companies to advertise house swaps or holiday lets.

Can you swap council houses if ur in different housing associations?

(11 Posts)
Cheekychops84 Sun 15-Jul-12 17:44:58

jus that really ?

They may, best thing to do is ring both HAs and ask.
I wouldn't mention about the rent arrears agreement as they frown on cash incentives and may think it skates too close.

The inspections could go either way. Mine today took an hour and was with a fine toothed comb (and my house is fine). The HA I'm swapping to aren't even bothering to do one.

Cheekychops84 Mon 16-Jul-12 16:39:05

He has arrears sad but we said we are willing to help him pay those off ! He also has two missing doors but again we are willing to replace those ! Not sure if he has an asbo ? Hope not! We are in credit with out rent and only been in this house 2 years so no apparent damage ? Thing that worries me is we may both have too many rooms for our need ? They may decline us on this?

My home visit is today<eeek>. The first time I did it the surveyor stuck his head in each room and was out in five minutes. This time it could be different but considering the state of the places I've moved into, I am hoping not! They're looking for damage - not stuff the tenant is responsible for like carpets and paintwork (though if it's really trashed they may ask why) as you sign that you accept the house in the condition you swapped. So the surveyor is looking for punched out doors, missing pipework, broken windows - damage you may have done that you need to put right.
Please God they find nothing on mine today and I can move!

You have a right to move providing you're not in rent arrears, have ASBO type complaints or damage to your home. Ditto for the man you're swapping with. So assuming he and you are OK, it will happen, within 42 days of the forms going in is the usual time frame.

Cheekychops84 Mon 16-Jul-12 10:26:02

Plus we are still young ! We could end up having another child so a 4 would seem reasonable and altho he is on his own now he has 4 children the youngest is 12 so he will want to come stay with his dad occasdionally

Cheekychops84 Mon 16-Jul-12 10:23:40

Ok thank u I will ask him ! I called mine they said they will send forms but we need a home visit? Bit nervous now ! I'm not familiar with all this !?

Sure can, I've swapped twice over different HAs.

As long as you're not over or under occupying by one bedroom then it's usually fine (eg a single person can move to a 2 bed not a 3). Get him to ring his HA and ask for their policy.

And agreed, homeswapper is the best if that one falls through. You HA has probably paid for membership in bulk so don't pay without checking it out.

Cheekychops84 Mon 16-Jul-12 09:47:16

Ok great thank u! Also is it ok to swap from a 2 bed to a 4? We will have 3 children in a 2 but we want to swap with a man who is in a 4 bed alone ? Is 4 too big for us and a 2'too big for him? ( the rooms in the four are all tiny mind !

emdelafield Sun 15-Jul-12 20:08:24

www.homeswapper.co.uk

sb6699 Sun 15-Jul-12 20:04:43

Yep, google "homeswapper".

quoteunquote Sun 15-Jul-12 19:35:35

My friend just swapped houses London to Devon, so I should think so.

Hers was a three way swap, the person who's Devon house she got, has gone to Brighton, Brighton person has gone to London.

she originally five years ago did a swap from Devon to London in order to do a degree, she's finished now so moving back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now