Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

BABY HAS BROWN FURRY TONGUE ... any ideas ?

(5 Posts)
milkmonsters Thu 18-Mar-10 23:07:39

My 9 month old baby has developed a brown tongue recently. I've Googled for ages and found conflicting theories so I'm enquiring here to see if anyone else has experienced similar.

I've recently had a course of antibiotics for a mild chest infection, which can apparently increase the chance of contracting Thrush, but the brown tongue does not match Thrush symptoms, which consistently state white patches in mnouth or tongue, not brown.

I've not had Thrush before as far as I'm aware.

Anyone have any ideas?
Baby is otherwise well bar a bit of a chesty cough, but he's teething and weaning off breastfeeding right now so is generally irrtible anyway.

ToccataAndFudge Thu 18-Mar-10 23:09:47

can I confess...........I read the title as "baby Brown has furry tongue"

blush

Spitfire101 Fri 16-Apr-10 14:38:31

Fur on the tongue is a sign that the immune system has taken a knock and is why the ancient Chinese doctors said "Death will soon follow", of course a furry tongue can't kill someone, but see above.

bobbiewickham Fri 16-Apr-10 14:43:38

Blimey, Spitfire, reassuring words!

Take him to the GP, I'm sure he or she will put your mind at rest and give your baby what he needs.

MerlinsBeard Fri 16-Apr-10 14:45:09

um - we are not DRs and nor is google.

Go to your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now