Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Odd lump on the back of DD's hand, I've googled which was foolish of me.

(24 Posts)
TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 03-Feb-09 22:39:13

She's just wet the bed so I gave her a quick bath and as I was drying her I noticed it.

It's a couple of centimetres above her wrist bone, but right in the centre. At first I thought it was an enlarged vein but if I press it it's very hard, yet doesn't hurt her at all.

Should we go to the GP?

peggotty Tue 03-Feb-09 22:41:22

Might be a ganglion, i think they're called. Just a sort of harmless growth. I had one years ago on my hand that just eventually disappeared. GP could put your mind a rest though?

BitOfFun Tue 03-Feb-09 22:41:33

Yes! Google is the work of Beelzebub in these cases...ps- you are on my tribute name thread!

Stinkyfeet Tue 03-Feb-09 22:43:50

Agree with peggotty, it sounds like a ganglion. I had one years ago which went away by itself after a while.

ilikeyoursleeves Tue 03-Feb-09 22:45:33

I think it's a ganglion? Thay are harmless and people sometimes whack them with a hard book and they pop back in!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 03-Feb-09 22:48:59

I bloody hope it's just that. I agree google is not a good idea I've been looking at cancers and all sorts. I might go to the GP anyway.

(ouch at smashing with a book)

I have a ganglion, sounds just like that. Is it on her dominant hand?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 03-Feb-09 22:52:07

No it's her right and she's left handed.

Sounds completely harmless but yes take her to the GP if you are going to worry anyway. No point in you getting stressed when you can be patronised by a GP looking at it and going 'huh, is that it' wink

LittlePeanut Tue 03-Feb-09 22:54:36

I had a gangloin when i was a kid, right in the middle on the back of my hand. The dr told my mum to try hitting it with a heavy book (this was the seventies) - and so my older brother gleefully bashed away at it with a big illustrated kids bible.

Can't remember if that worked or not, but it disappeared anyway (probably nothing to do with being bashed with a bible).

<still has nightmares about Moses in the bullrushes>

Guadalupe Tue 03-Feb-09 22:54:37

I have one on my right wrist. The doctor said they can go away on their own but it's annoying. Mine sticks right up.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 03-Feb-09 22:55:07

But (and see how much I've been thinking about it)

We've got a new constructiony bits type toy which she loves and she's been holding the bits in her left hand and screwing/spannering with her right. So maybe?

I'm seeing the GP anyway. Any excuse he's hot.

Guadalupe Tue 03-Feb-09 22:55:35

My mum hit hers with a bible and it went. She also tried the same thing with what she thought was one on her foot and couldn't walk for two weeks.

BitOfFun Tue 03-Feb-09 22:59:20

grin

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 04-Feb-09 14:04:07

shock grin

It's just the same today , we have a GP appointment for friday so crossing fingers it's nothing.

boccadellaverita Wed 04-Feb-09 14:13:05

I used to have a ganglion on my non-dominant hand. I used to whack it with a stapler (allows a more precise aim than a heavy book!) It used to go away and then re-appear a few weeks later ... until it went away never to return.

Iklboo Wed 04-Feb-09 14:18:13

I'm a martyr to me ganglions. At the minute I gave one on the underside of my right (dominant) wrist and one in the middle of the right wrist on top.
They can go away on their own
They can be whacked with a book/stapler etc
They can be drained by the doc
They can be removed by surgery if very severe and affecting hand movement.

Some can be painful (if near a large nerve)
Some you don't know they're there unless you can see or feel them.

Let doc have a look and put your mind at rest
(is it squidgy/squashy and be moved a wee bit?)

rebstoddy Thu 05-Feb-09 16:35:15

I had one of these as a teenager...I went to the doctor & he repeated what my mother had told me!!! HIT IT WITH A BIBLE...so I let one of my brothers give it his best shot & boy, he really did give his BEST shot, I thought he'd broken my wrist, however, next day, ganglion gone, sore for a bit but left me wondering about the Dr & his ethics for a long time, lol!!! grinIt NEVER came back x

I had one of these about 18 months ago. I took cod liver oil capsules and generally looked after it (ie strapped my wrist up if it started to hurt etc) and it went within a few weeks.

Habbibu Thu 05-Feb-09 22:45:49

I had one on each wrist for a while - in fact, have just checked, and I still have one on my right hand. And that's getting on for 20 years now... shows you how much trouble it's caused me.

Habbibu Thu 05-Feb-09 22:46:44

My god. I have a cyst old enough to be a mother. I could be grandmother to a baby cyst.

<old emoticon>

CuddlyKelpie Thu 05-Feb-09 22:54:52

If it is a ganglion I would not recommend you hit it with a bible!
I had one (when younger) and tried this and the pain was excruciating - I also couldn't put any weight on my wrist for months and movement was limited.
Perhaps mine wasn't a ganglion hmm.

It did go eventually though.

Iwasonce3plasticcups Fri 06-Feb-09 11:32:29

urgh gross

julesrose Sun 19-Apr-09 20:59:38

Old thread I know and don't know if you'll see this - but what happened with your daughter's ?ganglion ? I've just got back from A&E with my dd - dr diagnosed ganglion but says she will probaly need surgery. She's in serious pain and can't move her knee joint. Might be near a nerve I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now