Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My child is obese

(38 Posts)
tommorang Thu 28-Jan-16 21:18:11

I decided to weigh and measure my 11 year old son. Know I new he was a little overweight as he had breasts and small rolls of fat. It turns out he is 5 foot 1 inch and 59 kg wich according to the NHS is very overweight. He has a very healthy diet and I don't know why he is obese what can i do to help he is quite active and eats healthy.

winchester1 Thu 28-Jan-16 21:23:12

Is he normally fatter just before a growth spurt so.it could just even out a bit?
Otherwise could you sub some healthier options like skimmed milk, low-fat cheese spread etc. Reduce his snacking or swap for healthier things. Desserts of sugar free jelly and or low fat yogurt.

You say he is quite active do you go on family walks or bike rides or geocaching at the weekends.

tommorang Thu 28-Jan-16 21:29:31

We go for a family walk every weekend and dose extra caricular sporting activities with school and ice skating ou of school he has always been larger but and recently got fater. He is much larger than his friends

Wolfiefan Thu 28-Jan-16 21:30:42

When you say eats healthily what do you mean?

tommorang Thu 28-Jan-16 21:32:18

No prosesed food no biscuits chrisps or cake at least 6 pieces of fruit and veg a day

Seeyounearertime Thu 28-Jan-16 21:33:42

check portions first. even the healthiest diet eaten to excess will cause issues.

I use the general guide of a fist size portion and, going further, the hand portion guide. It's not deadly accurate but i find it a good guide.

Lucsy Thu 28-Jan-16 21:35:53

Can you write down an average day?

He weighs 13 kg more than me for the same height so something must be going wrong somewhere. I'm sure we can help if you can let us know what he eats / drinks and exercise.
Good on you for seeing the issue btw

Titsywoo Thu 28-Jan-16 21:38:07

I have the same problem although my son is not very active (dyspraxia means he struggles). My son was also eating too much food - it had become normal to us I think for him to eat adult sized portions. It is tough but I have made changes and cut down his intake replacing things with vegetables and not letting him snack except for fruit. I also have enrolled him into a local weight management program for kids - have a look to see what they have in your area. And I went to the GP and he has referred us to a dietician. I worried for a long time about damaging his self esteem etc but he just got bigger. WebMD has a calculator that says what a persons adult height and weight will be if they carry on as they are and it said my son would be 20 stone! I realised at that point I couldn't ignore it anymore. DS is also autistic so I am lucky that he is quite practical and logical and understands why he needs to get healthy (as much as he misses eating more food!).

The fact is he must be eating too much - you need to look at that and maybe talk to him about it. Does it bother him?

tommorang Thu 28-Jan-16 21:39:23

He would eat portage for breakfast some pasta for lunch and some tomato soup for dinner a snack of toast and an apple when he gets in from school

Lucsy Thu 28-Jan-16 21:41:09

Any sugary drinks?

Titsywoo Thu 28-Jan-16 21:41:15

Oh and I don't let him eat unlimited fruit - at least 6 portions a day is a LOT. I would say DS has 2 portions (one between breakfast and lunch if he is hungry - he rarely is) then one after school before dinner.

VagueIdeas Thu 28-Jan-16 21:42:17

Does he maybe buy junk food on the way to/from school?

Titsywoo Thu 28-Jan-16 21:43:00

He must be eating more than that. People don't get fat eating normally sorry. And first you said at least6 portions of fruit but then say he just has one apple after school?

tommorang Thu 28-Jan-16 21:45:10

6 in total including all meals

northender Thu 28-Jan-16 21:46:40

OP stated 6 portions of fruit & veg not just fruit

Whatdoidohelp Thu 28-Jan-16 21:48:06

He is eating more than that to be that massively overweight. Is anyone else giving him snacks/treats ?

tommorang Thu 28-Jan-16 21:50:05

The only place he can get food in the day is the school canteen but I can see what he buys on it online and he didn't get anything. I am so puzzled

Adeleslostbeehive Thu 28-Jan-16 21:51:11

He must be eating more than that. He weights 5kg more than me and I'm 32 and 6 inches taller! He's very, very overweight. Could he be buying his own good also?

Lurkedforever1 Thu 28-Jan-16 21:51:50

Doesn't sound like much exercise to me.

ootsideinbacktaefront Thu 28-Jan-16 21:52:02

I'm 5 ft 1 and 59 kilos and defo not overweight (size 10) , does age affect it??

tommorang Thu 28-Jan-16 21:52:58

It is possible he is buying things from the shop I will have to confront him about that if he is I will be angry

Adeleslostbeehive Thu 28-Jan-16 21:54:10

It's 9stone. I'm a size 10 at 5ft 7 and 9 stone. I don't see how someone 5ft1 can't be?

Wolfiefan Thu 28-Jan-16 21:55:28

Please don't be angry about food. That will
Make him hide what he eats, feel guilty and develop huge issues.
If he is ask what and how often and why. He may be hungry or his friends may all be eating it. Work out a way forward together.

dun1urkin Thu 28-Jan-16 22:00:00

oot an adult at 5ft 1, 59kg is right at the top of a healthy BMI, just 2kg more would be overweight (usual BMI disclaimers apply) but I assume it's different for children.

ootsideinbacktaefront Thu 28-Jan-16 22:04:01

Ye im at top but look very slim. I do have ver muscley legs though as run loads. Just points out that not always straight forward smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now