Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Starting periods without any other signs of puberty?

(6 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 03-Mar-13 20:41:58

Just to be clear, there wasnt any actual blood, it was just an old faint stain. Dd said she didn't know what to look for.

No to breast development and pubic hair but she's had a bit of discharge for a while. I started when I was 11 (nearly 12) and dd1 was 11 yrs 4mths. Dd2 has only just turned 10.

evianna Sun 03-Mar-13 20:19:33

I'd say there are a lot of other "signs and symptoms" pre-period such as...
- breast development, pubic hair, vaginal discharge, mood changes, etc.

Does she experience any of the above?

BramblyHedge Sun 03-Mar-13 20:17:16

I started my period when I was 10 which was a shock

nannyof3 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:12:15

I would take her to gp..

Did she do any previous strained activity? This may be a simple reason for the blood

duchesse Sun 03-Mar-13 00:13:18

Has she been having pain peeing? I would have thought it would be highly unusually to go straight to periods without earlier puberty symptoms and more likely to be a UTI. I'd take her to the GP tbh.

Dancergirl Sat 02-Mar-13 23:34:41

Dd2 had a shock yesterday and thought she had started a period. It was a false alarm and she had seen an old, v faint stain in her knickers. I thought it was pretty unlikely as she's only just 10 with no physical development at all yet.

She does know about periods, we've chatted a lot and she's seen her older sister go through it. But it just got me thinking - is it possible for periods to start without any other signs of puberty? I assumed it would happen about a year after puberty starts but I want dd to be as prepared as possible as she's a bit of a worrier. I don't want to tell her it's ages away and then for her to have a shock if she starts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now