Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Prescribed steroids for DS's chesty cough - don't want to give them to him. Please give me some advice!

(56 Posts)
mylittlepuds Tue 26-Feb-13 09:53:12

I normally just glance over side effects on the info leaflet and think 'hey ho' needs must.

But my God the side effects of these steroids - Prednisolone - seem extreme and I'm very nervous about giving them to DS.

It's been well over two weeks though and he still has the wheezy 'loose' chest. No temp of anything though - absolutely his normal self.

Help!

SunflowersSmile Thu 28-Feb-13 19:29:13

Both my sons had steroids for different reasons- short courses.
No obvious side affects apart from problems cured.
With my frighteningly wheezy one the immediate relief countered the fear of side affects.

ChablisLover Thu 28-Feb-13 17:59:44

Glad to hear your son is on the mend op

mylittlepuds Thu 28-Feb-13 17:56:42

I was tempted to stop it BTP. But shall plug on smile

Yay! :D

Finish the course, though. (sorry if that's a bit patronising).

mylittlepuds Thu 28-Feb-13 14:36:34

Goodness me! Wheeze gone! Bloody hell!

Lifeisontheup Wed 27-Feb-13 19:32:45

My two DS's had lots of short sharp bursts of steroids(prednislone) for viral induced wheeze as youngsters. They are now 6ft + teenagers and haven't been to the doctors in years. They are disgustingly healthy!

I'm so glad to hear that, mylittlepuds and I hope he recovers fully soon.

mylittlepuds Wed 27-Feb-13 15:16:32

Hi ladies. I think he's probably the same but I feel calmer knowing that we're doing the best thing to get him better. He's totally fine in himself, just a slight wheezing. Bless him. Thanks for all your lovely messages smile

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 27-Feb-13 13:41:48

Yes, DD has been asthmatic since the year dot, she's now 22 and regularly needs pred to control her symptoms. How is he today?

Jojay Wed 27-Feb-13 12:46:20

Pred works in an hour or two for my lot too.

So glad he's on the mend smile

mylittlepuds Tue 26-Feb-13 23:12:20

Thank you. I have really appreciated your responses. I was so, so worried.

Sirzy Tue 26-Feb-13 22:59:27

One steroid DS has works in the hour, pred kicks in within a couple of hours with him.

mylittlepuds Tue 26-Feb-13 22:50:20

Goodness me! That's strong stuff! Was it for her chest?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 26-Feb-13 22:45:55

DD was prescribed them last week (for the ninety millionth time) and the consultant who gave them to her said they can work in about 6 hours.

mylittlepuds Tue 26-Feb-13 22:38:25

Update! Had DS to doctors. She was lovely and reassured me after rambling and crying for being a foolish idiot and putting DS at risk.

His chest thank God was clear - and quite remarkably she said it could have been the steroids (one dose) already taking effect?

Anyway we're second dose in now so feel calmer. I asked her about dangers of wheeziness and she said to keep an eye on if he starts to struggle - and straight to A&E. Hopefully, hopefully, he'll be fine.

A hard lesson learned I think.

SarahGarden80 Tue 26-Feb-13 21:16:32

My son (7yo) has chesty non stop coughs whole winter. We have inhalers as well, and there are not steroids, but corticoids. It keeps us going whole winter, I do not like to give it to him as well, but I cover usually december-jan-february, then he is fine all year long, starting in late december again. Try to do it that way, it will really keep you going without awake nights and terrible days.

butterfingerz Tue 26-Feb-13 16:32:48

Hi op, my ds who is 21 months has had quite a few courses of prednisolone for wheezy episodes. I know systemic steroids have quite alot of side effects, but remember some people have to take them on a permanent basis so the effects are more applicable to them. For a short course of a few days, you really needn't worry. My dp is a pharmacist so he's looked into the risks quite extensively and has reassured me many times!

ubik Tue 26-Feb-13 13:00:33

I'm so glad you gave them to him smile

If it makes you feel any better:

DD1 also gets asthma symptoms with chest infections and the first time i left her for a couple of days thinking it was just a virus and she didn't need to see doc etc

MIL (ex nurse) looked at her and told me to get her to GP that day. While we were walking to doc, DD1 told me she didn't want to chat as she couldn't walk and talk at the same time due to chest shock Saw GP who did a peak flow and then got her on a nebuliser.

We came home with steroids, inhalers, spacers and a much chattier DD1.

Jojay Tue 26-Feb-13 12:59:56

Don't feel bad - the leaflets that come woth so mny drugs are terrifying.

My kids are far too medicated for my liking - numerous courses of pred., strong steroids for eczema, daily steroid inhalers, ventolin, montelukast etc etc.

It's horrible, but being them in hospital with asthma attacks, wired up to drips and gawd knows what else, is far worse. I would cheerfully feed them arsenic in that situation if someone told me it would make them better.

We are extremely lucky to have access to the healthcare we do, and the quality of life that we all enjoy is often down to that. I totally understand your concerns, but you did the right thing giving it to him smile

Kiriwawa Tue 26-Feb-13 12:56:37

I don't think you should feel bad but I think it's worth discussing any possible side effects with the GP when you're being prescribed something (and obviously that means asking when you're actually in the surgery rather than waiting until you read the leaflet).

FWIW the only person I know who's had side effects on Prednisolone was on them for a year.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 26-Feb-13 12:51:31

OP I'm sure you've not done any damage this time - but now you have info for the future. smile

The only thing I will say, is that if a Dr prescribes you something it will be for a reason. If once you are home, you are unsure about the medication, or worried about taking it, or feel that your condition - or your child's - changes, then please ring them to talk it through.

mylittlepuds Tue 26-Feb-13 12:46:20

Thanks just and Bea smile

BeaWheesht Tue 26-Feb-13 12:15:06

Both my kids have had two course each - one for asthma and one for croup - they work pretty quickly ime.

justonemorethread Tue 26-Feb-13 12:11:51

Of course you haven't! just add it to the list of things you feel guilty about. That way if you ever have a moment of peace you can just refer back to the list and start feeling like a proper mum again!

mylittlepuds Tue 26-Feb-13 12:00:47

Thank you. I'm so glad I started this thread as I have to be honest and say I had no idea that wheeziness could be so very serious. I really hope I haven't done him a disservice as I'd never forgive myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now