Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 days post tonsillectomy

(34 Posts)
rubyslippers Thu 21-Feb-13 18:22:31

DS had his out on Tuesday morning along with his adenoids

he seemed to be doing really well but today he has been grotty

really struggling to eat or drink or take meds - getting bits and bobs into him and he's currently sucking an ice lolly

He is really complaining his throat hurts but he is a cycle of not wanting to swallow his meds because his throat hurts

i assume this is normal - he is a little warm but he is already on amoxycillin so if there is an infection then he has antibiotics already

there is no vomiting and no blood loss at all

TIA

ilovesushi Sun 03-Mar-13 22:12:43

Hope he's doing better. My son had tonsils and adenoids out last summer. I remember day 5 being a killer because the morphine was wearing off and the pain suddenly hit. Get additional stronger meds from GP if you need them. Once you get past the first week, he'll improve rapidly. x

alibobins Sun 03-Mar-13 09:15:27

Glad to hear ruby smile we are on day 19 and ds2 is like a different child we went to the park yesterday and he was able to run around no coughing at all smile he did sleep for 2 hours when we got back so probably still recovering a little.

rubyslippers Sat 02-Mar-13 21:04:23

good to hear the positive post tonsillectomy stories

DS has improved massively - he is like a different child

have had a look in his throat and the scabs are coming away. He has had one dose of calpol today and that is it

he is still pale and tired but really much better

he is now SILENT at night - no snoring at all. In fact, i had to prod him the other night he was so quiet

thank you for all the stories, advice and general support on this thread

much appreciated smile

pooka Wed 27-Feb-13 20:40:10

DD has been wonderfully well in the last 2 years since her op. The odd mild cold. But no apnoea, no snoring, no bad breath from mouth breathing. She's put on weight (needed to) and is generally much more robust (touch wood).

And she didnt even have them taken out because of chronic tonsillitis - only had a couple of times in 6/7 years. But the consultant was concerned that if she did get a bad bout of tonsillitis, her airway would obstruct - they were massive. And her sleep was interrupted.

alibobins Wed 27-Feb-13 20:20:48

We are doing so much better ds2 is nearly back to his normal self. We went to the gp who said everything is healing well he only has a few white patches left and is having calpol in a morning and night. On a more positive note ds2 hasn't coughed once since his op and no snoring smile

rubyslippers Wed 27-Feb-13 18:59:10

Oh we had a dreadful Monday night and I ended up taking him to hospital after he hadn't eaten, drunk or taken meds and was in a decline

We were seen by a great ENT consultant and reassured us the wounds weren't infected

They got him drinking again and medded up and we went home- DS much improved and think things are deffo on the up

cedmonds Mon 25-Feb-13 20:44:36

How are they today?

rubyslippers Mon 25-Feb-13 18:06:47

My DS is on antibiotics

I will be ringing the GP tomorrow just for reassurance

My DS's throat is white and I can't see any obvious signs of infection but he really does seem to be so up and down so I need to know if it is normal IYSWIM

alibobins Sun 24-Feb-13 15:21:28

Ced they didn't give him antibiotics as he had been on them for so long before the op. never thought of infection as his temp has been pretty stable. I've looked in his throat and it still looks pretty coated in white with a few red patches so I presume the scabs are still falling off. I will ring the gp tomorrow.
Ruby it really is such a roller coaster.

cedmonds Sun 24-Feb-13 15:04:39

All
Is he on antibiotics? When ds had his out he was in a lot of pain and it was because there was a infection there. He had two lots of antibiotics and was a lot better after that. I wonder if it is a asthma related thing and the inhalers make it worsehmm Hope he is better soon. Poor thing he has been through so much recently.

rubyslippers Sun 24-Feb-13 13:10:17

Thanks for asking and wishing your LO well

It's like a roller coaster to be honest

He's refusing meds so that's not helping - managing to get some into him now

Once he has them, he can eat so feels better

It's a horrid vicious circle

Thanks for all messages all - much appreciated

alibobins Sun 24-Feb-13 11:43:17

Ruby how's your ds now? Ds2 is still needed calpol and nurofen regularly throughout the day and having really bad nights sad we are now on day 12.

mizu Sun 24-Feb-13 09:42:36

PS I had mine out at 19 and it is not fun.

mizu Sun 24-Feb-13 09:42:04

My DD1 had hers out when she was 5 - on her 5th birthday in fact and I remember it being a long haul - about 12 days. Calpol every 4 hours and she got worse after a few days and was bad on the 10th day too.

It will be well worth it, she is a different child now smile

Catsdontcare Fri 22-Feb-13 14:34:19

I had mine out as an adult so the recovery period is longer but it is normal for it to feel worse for a while, usually because the area is scabbing over.

I had a humidifier in my bedroom at night to keep the air damp and help to stop my throat drying out whilst I slept

rubyslippers Fri 22-Feb-13 14:26:02

oh lots more messages - thank you

He seems much perkier this morning and managed to get all meds into him

Spoke to a nurse this morning (at the hospital) where he was operated on and they aren't unduly concerned

he is eating and drinking today and definitely not dehydrated - wee is clear and not strong smelling

i think we are in for a long couple of weeks

thanks again everyone

If he has a temperature then he needs to be evaluated.

toosoppyforwords Fri 22-Feb-13 13:28:16

My son had his out 3 years ago when he was 3. Fortunately he recovered well and it was the best thing we have done. The doctors told us to keep him very dosed up on calpol and nurofen, maximum doses of both for at least a week as apparently it is easier to keep them out of pain then it is to stop the pain once its there IYSWIM. I was giving him them in the night also while he was asleep with a medical dosing syringe.
It does hurt but we found that by eating crunchy things (crisps, biscuits, toast etc) actually did make him recover quicker
Keep fluids up as best you can, eat little bites often and if in doubt call your gp,
Good luck

pooka Fri 22-Feb-13 07:38:02

She didn't have any antibiotics by the way. It may be that you could do with a different one.

pooka Fri 22-Feb-13 07:37:15

Dd had hers out a couple of years ago. Some kids bounce back straight away (she being one of hem) but before she had the op I got a humidifier for her room to keep the air moist so her throat didn't dry. I also slept in with her for about 5 days and set an alarm on my phone so I could give her the pain meds as the last one was wearing off - so she didn't get the panicky omg pain which stopped her taking anything in iykwim (like when you have tonsillitis and just cannot bear the thought of swallowing). I don't know whether this was what made the difference or whether she just was one of the kids that wasn't so badly effected.

alibobins Fri 22-Feb-13 07:30:01

The nights are the worse for ds2 he wakes several times crying in pain sad
How's your ds this morning?

silverboy Thu 21-Feb-13 23:32:16

My two year old had a adenotonsillectomy last week so coming up ten days post op now. He is still very sore and am rigorous with the pain meds. He did have a secondary infection, this was brought under under control with a broad spectrum antibiotic. Amoxycillin may not be getting all the infection under control so might be worth speaking to your gp, especially if there is a whiff in the oral area. As others have said over important to keep the fluids up,my little one had to go back into hospital because he became dehydrated. Hope yours feels better soon.

DrRanj Thu 21-Feb-13 22:56:33

At first I was going to suggest infection, but then I noticed he was already on antibs - when I had my tonsils out age 11 in the 90s, I had no antibs and almost inevitably got an infections few days later, was very painful and far worse than tonsillitis or the op itself. Hope he recovers well. smile

Elibean Thu 21-Feb-13 22:54:04

ps we had paracetamol and voltarol suppositories for dd2 - she needed both, but then she did have a fold in her larynx snipped as well as the adenotonsillectomy shock

Elibean Thu 21-Feb-13 22:53:24

dd2 was in lots of pain for about a week - sore for up to 10 days. Its horrid, but I promise you it will be over soon and then you won't look back - and neither will your ds smile

There is a second wave of ouchiness when the scabs start to shrink and fall off - he's probably hitting that now. Its the worst bit, and doesn't take too long IIRC.

I seem to remember dd (who was 2 at the time) surviving on ice lollies most of the time, and pain meds. And bits of toast and ham, on a good day. She lost more weight (was skinny before the op, due to size of tonsils) but within two weeks started to fill out....and within a month was thriving for the first time ever.

Hang in there, and hope your ds feels better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now