Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cut a chunk out of DS' finger while cutting his nails

(18 Posts)
Smorgs Mon 18-Feb-13 20:05:34

OK PFB alert, but DH just cut a chunk of skin off our 3.5 month old DS' little finger while cutting his nails. I was feeding him at the time, he stopped, looked utterly shocked and then screamed a really high pitched scream sad.

A relatively big chunk of skin has come off the finger pad. I sucked it at first, then put disinfectant on it but it is still bleeding so we put a plaster on and gave him some Calpol and he is now asleep. I'm going to take the plaster off when it has stopped bleeding later in case he sucks his hand and accidentally swallows it.

Does anyone know if the chunk will grow back? I know it's only minor in the grand scheme of things but DH feels horribly guilty and we are both really upset to have caused him pain.

Smorgs Mon 18-Feb-13 20:32:49

^ Can anyone help?

SpaceKoala Mon 18-Feb-13 20:57:53

I did the same when my little girl was about 3 months. She screamed and there seemed to be lots of blood. My first so panicked quite a bit, as you did! Bleeding took a long time to stop, made sure it was disinfected first, and left a plaster on it for a while.
The skin grew back just fine, can't tell which finger it was now.
Now I only cut nails when they sleep, much easier smile

Smorgs Mon 18-Feb-13 21:35:13

Thanks spacekoala it's horrible isn't it. His little contented face feeding away, then total shock and screaming in pain sad
How long did it take to heal out of interest?

EVERYBODY has done this.
Its a right of passage.
Baby will have forgotton by tomorrow.
Have a wine

MiaCulper Mon 18-Feb-13 21:38:56

DH did exactly the same thing to DS2 when he was about 2.5 months old. Finger was completely healed within a week, and there's no scar or anything.

DH, however, is still traumatised 8 and a half years later.

I did this with dd1 when she was around 2 months,, she is now 4 and her fingers are fine..I use nail files now out of fear!!

Smorgs Mon 18-Feb-13 21:40:53

Thanks monkeyfacegrace I know I'm being totally pfb it's just that it's not just a cut, it's a chunk of skin.

What's that? Glass of wine you say? Oh go on then, only to calm my nerves wink

Smorgs Mon 18-Feb-13 21:42:34

Cross posted, thanks ladies, starting to feel better about it now.

Pleasenomorepeppa Mon 18-Feb-13 21:45:25

I did this to DD1 in hospital when she was 5 hours old. I didn't learn my lesson because I did it again to DD2 when she was 36 hours old smile.

PoppyWearer Mon 18-Feb-13 21:46:14

Yes, it's a rite of passage, like the first time they fall off the bed or changing mat.

Also done this, DS forgot about it quickly enough. Unlike me!

letsgetreadytoramble Mon 18-Feb-13 21:57:44

My DH did this too when DS was 2 months old. Blood all over his brand new bouncy chair. Don't ask me why he thought it was a good idea to cut his nails while he was in a bouncy chair. All better after a couple of days, though I can still hear the screams (mine.) wink

stealthsquiggle Mon 18-Feb-13 22:03:09

Anyone who gets through their DC's babyhood without doing this has my envy admiration.
OP - when she is 6 and screaming blue murder at you every morning for daring to brush her hair, you will look back and smile (not belittling you in any way - I remember how bad I felt)

stealthsquiggle Mon 18-Feb-13 22:08:05

Oops - just noticed OP has a DS. Not so much with the hair brushing then blush. Think hair washing. Or washing, generally, appears to be an advanced form of torture to medium-sized boys grin

MariusEarlobe Mon 18-Feb-13 22:21:58

I've never done this but my friend did and it bled like hell but was fine no scar, if it's any consolation however I was ironing upstairs when dd was six months and now exh brought her upstairs while I was in the loo and she reached for the iron sad she's also rolled off the bed at a young age when she couldn't roll hmm and I had put her down for two secs while I grabbed a nappy bag.

Moominguru Mon 18-Feb-13 22:24:55

Yes, did this too. I was mortified. Dp came home to find me sobbing even after DS had stopped. DS is fine, no scar and DP now has responsibility for nails. I'm ashamed to say he bites them off when they are having quiet cuddle before bed.

TheChaoGoesMu Mon 18-Feb-13 22:26:38

Most people do this. Both dc had a chunk taken out of their fingers. It's a rite of passage. grin
I felt dreadful when I did it, esp the 2nd time. It healed very very quickly though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now