Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 year old with 2nd bout of tosillitis and impetigo

(8 Posts)
Hopingforno2 Tue 29-Jan-13 14:40:03

They said it was the impetigo rash that had spread over his face. They didnt swab him but have given him both oral and cream antibiotics.

DoctorAnge Tue 29-Jan-13 13:26:58

Tonsilitis can be caused by the Strep virus which can also infect the skin, esp if there is a crack in the mouth. Ask them to swab it if you are worried to find out for sure.

Inmyopinion1 Tue 29-Jan-13 04:11:00

Given it's over 24 hours since you posted originally I'm assuming everything was fine with the rash. The glass test to see if a rash is "blanching" is a very gross assessment for a certain kind of worrisome rash. In practical terms there are a lot of skin lesions that won't go away in these circumstances and there are plenty of causes of the worrying rash that aren't related to septicaemia. In this instance if you were told that this was an impetigo like rash (staph skin infection) then it likely won't blanch. However, any child that's been coughing alot can also get spots that won't go away on the head and chest. If you've no rash elsewhere it's generally a reassuring sign but if there's a spreading rash and you're worried that it doesn't blanch with pressure then the child should be seen.

Hopingforno2 Mon 28-Jan-13 22:55:09

Thanks i'll cross my fingers im not getting it as im 28+4 weeks pregnant and diabetic tho would honestly take it off the poor little thing if i could

sometimes tonsillitis can be caused by the same bacteria as impetigo.
(remembers the time when dd and I shared impetigo/tonsillitis back and forth until we both ended up on antibiotics)

Hopingforno2 Mon 28-Jan-13 11:07:15

Hey taketheribbon no its never been like that i took him to gp just to be on the safe side he said it is a bacterial skin infection but not the dreaded m word so feel a bit silly but at least i know now just to keep using the bactroban.

taketheribbon Mon 28-Jan-13 10:46:59

Is the rash a sort of weepy, crusty type of rash? If so, then it's definitely impetigo. Antibiotics will clear it. It tends to come up when the immune system is down (so with the tonsillitis, it's not surprising).

Hopingforno2 Sun 27-Jan-13 17:01:04

Hi

My ds is 4.5 years old and was last night diagnosed with his 2nd bout of tonsillitis within 4 weeks i was told his throat is infected and he has been given oral antibiotics for this and calpol for the fever. Alongside this he has a nasty rash at the corner of his mouth and a little of his face we are told he has impetigo and he was prescribed antibiotic cream but being a paranoid mother i ran a glass over the bit of rash closest to his hairline when he fell asleep a cpl hours ago and it didnt go away confused does anyone have experience of this? Am i just as my oh says being a bit paranoid?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now