Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

40 degrees spiking temp and vomiting in 3 yo.

(41 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Sun 27-Jan-13 13:33:07

Ds is 3 had a spiking temp up to 40 (104) since Friday, reduced with ibruprofen, calpol not doing much. As the meds wear offs his temp sours and he is vomiting. Spoke to ooh doc yesterday who said he very likely has flu virus and he is going to feel poorly, main concern is monitoring for dehydration.

He has just thrown up his ibruprofen, about 10 mins after taking it. Full on hurled, so much liquid. Has spiked temp again at 40.

So question 1. Can he have it again? I am going to give him calpol although know its not going to help much

Question 2. Should I call ooh again? He is lethargic, but probably due to high temp? He has swollen raw looking gums, very dry lips, very very thirsty (is drinking lots, keeps asking) grinding his teeth. He has also complained of belly pains since he became unwell and keeps saying it hurts, and crying. He is sleeping a lot (not like him, he doesnt sleep!) Told gp most of this yesterday (all apart from gums as didn't notice that until today). He has peed once today, this morning when was pretty spritely. He ate toast then, only a little, but something.

After vomiting he had a rash, but it may have been how I held him as I put him back into his cool bath from earlier to clean him, and they appear to have gone, he has blotches which seem to come and go, like heat rash, on his arms. They turn white when pressed.

How do I know when I am being a worried mum because by boy is sick and I don't like it and can't make it all better and when I am worried meaning something more needs doing that I am not doing now?

PavlovtheCat Tue 29-Jan-13 09:03:20

and I can't even clean his teeth! I am not even going there.

PavlovtheCat Tue 29-Jan-13 09:01:38

doris the parovirus - is that the one that can be responsible for causing croup or is that a different one?

PavlovtheCat Tue 29-Jan-13 09:00:41

mummy DH and I spoke about that yesterday, as gp gave him no spray, and I was surprised, so I presumed that he is too young? Difflam spray is great, so maybe I will go and see if I can get something suitable for him.

He is much much perkier this morning, went the night without spiking temp as meds wore off, which is the first night that has happened.

But, he is still not eating anything offered him jelly, ice cream, milkshake. He took a couple of mouthfuls of jelly and yoghurt at first, but now won't touch it.

The ulcers are horrific. It looks like he has tons of plaque all over pretty much all his teeth but they are ulcers! as well as those on his throat.

DH said the doctor mentioned slapped cheek (he drip feeds info, he would so not get on well here!) and also Hand, Food and Mouth, but ruled the latter out after a good check of DS all over apparantly. He was pretty certain, which DH needed him to be, as DH is a chef. However, I am thinking DH might need to consider taking a few days off work, just in case it is (he has not worked since he has been poorly, been away).

DorisIsWaiting Mon 28-Jan-13 22:54:14

Slapped cheek is a virus (parovirus but not the same as animals get) so antibiotics don't work. It's just a case of sitting it out till he feels better and treating the symptoms. Ice cream and yougurt are cold and soothing to sore mouths throats.

I hope he starts to feel better soon. I really would not have guessed dd3 had slapped cheek had I not taken her to OOH (and I'm a nurse!)

mummytopebs Mon 28-Jan-13 21:37:57

My dd gets terrible ulcers have they given him a mouth spray ie difflam to spray on? Also slushes are a god send when she gets them. If there is no improvement I ould take him back to gp or a and e as dd has been admited with hers a couple of times for iv anti virals x Hope he starts to improve

PavlovtheCat Mon 28-Jan-13 19:20:18

bea if it is slapped cheek, does he need antibiotics?

He is eating nothing. He has so many ulcers. His gums are swollen and red raw around his little teeth and there are lots of tiny ulcers everywhere not just on his throat.

He tries to eat, cries, and then refuses more. he is drinking ok, but not loads. He tried to have a bit of my chocolate, and cried so hard because it hurt.

How long can he not eat before it becomes a problem? He had the stinking coughing bug before christmas and it has taken until about 2 weeks ago for his appetite to return from that, he had little appetite for about 4wks, so he has no reserves. And even when on top form, he is not a huge toddler.

So far today he has eaten a couple of mouthfuls of yoghurt (bearing in mind his mouth is tiny) and two mouthfuls of jelly. yesterday he had two small pots of yoghurt before bed (not all of it, just the 'middle' of the pot) and a bite of toast. Day before he had 4 bits of pasta which he threw up. Friday he ate nothing. Thursday he ate nothing.

BeaWheesht Mon 28-Jan-13 19:12:05

It sounds just like when ds has slapped cheek right down to the ulcers - ds had about 50 in his mouth on his throat and tongue hmm

PavlovtheCat Mon 28-Jan-13 15:16:27

I wonder why they don't check for these things? Maybe it makes little difference to the treatment? This GP never gives antibiotics. DS had an ear infection once and he said he wanted to give him a few days to fight the infection first even though there was def an infection. But, to give him credit, DS worked through it on his own. Yes, would have got through it quicker with the antibiotics, but, GP really opposed to using them and as such he has only had one course in his life (but, that time, gp left it too long!)

DorisIsWaiting Mon 28-Jan-13 12:58:11

Rash only lasted 24 hours with dd3 and dd1 didn't have one at all. They did both have Very rosy cheeks which came and went.

TBH it sounds exactly like dd3's presentation. (DD1 wasn't sick) DD3 did seem to be sick with the worst of the teps at the start.

PavlovtheCat Mon 28-Jan-13 11:59:51

oh and yes doris still here!

PavlovtheCat Mon 28-Jan-13 11:59:35

don't think it's slapped cheek, as the rash is gone, i think it's heat rash as it seems to come up with the fever and disappear as he cools down. He does have rosy cheeks but that's because even when fever is down, he is still running slight temp I guess, and cheeks are now a little dry.

He is clearly feeling much better, as he keeps hassling me to put thomas on the laptop and is doing the irritating grabbing of my cheeks to get my attention grin.

DorisIsWaiting Mon 28-Jan-13 11:21:21

Forgot to say Slapped Cheek knocked dd3 sidewise (normally very resilliant!) it was really really nasty.

DorisIsWaiting Mon 28-Jan-13 11:20:26

Pavlov are you still in Devon? DD3 was similar with temps over christmas. When she came out in a rash on her torso (lacy type rash) I took her to OOH and turns out she had Slapped Cheek. Speaking to other mums locally since there seems to be an epidemic in the South West this year.

DD3's tempretures lasted 2 weeks (almost to the day) with calpol and brufen daily. She was sick one day but fine after that and kept complaining of a sore throat. DD1 also got it (since we've been back at school) and she was only hot for 2 days. DD2's not shown signs yet but the incubation period is 7 to 21 days. I may be barking up the wrong tree but it's a thought...

PavlovtheCat Mon 28-Jan-13 11:05:47

DH took him to gp, who had records from call over the weekend anyway. He has a 'virus' and his throat is covered in ulcers. not got any infection which warrants anti-biotics apparantly - tonsils, ears, chest fine.

cant give him ibruprofen as he has not eaten much, so only calpol. and ride it out. also need to provide urine sample as he had cloudy wee although his last one was ok, he is going to check he doesn't have a uti. he thinks probably not but will rule it out.

he has eaten a little bit of yoghurt and temp is rising again. it's going to take a few days to clear i think. both ds and i are snuggled in bed.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 28-Jan-13 10:45:39

Go with your instinct. No decent GP would mind seeing a poorly 3 year old that has been unwell for a good few days.

taketheribbon Mon 28-Jan-13 10:43:37

If he still has the rash, I'd take him to the docs to check for scarlet fever. Scarlet fever starts with a very sore throat.... I know this because it's going round dd's school at the moment.

Scarlet fever needs antibiotics to clear up you see.

Hope he feels better soon.

PavlovtheCat Mon 28-Jan-13 08:11:48

oh meant to say he is drinking though.

PavlovtheCat Mon 28-Jan-13 08:10:46

he slept ok, woke with fever in the night, eased with meds, but food hurts to eat, really really crying. he has no fever, and walked downstairs to kitchen but looks terrible! DH thinks he looks better, and doesn't think he needs to see the gp. but i think differently.

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 17:49:49

I think in that case there's a danger of dehydration...do keep an eye but also, if you can get him seen tonight and started on antibiotics - just in case it is his throat - the sooner he'll be able to drink and eat again.

Sorry to harp on. It's just that they can deteriorate a lot without fluids and need their strength to fight off the infection. I'm sure you know all this stuff x

PavlovtheCat Sun 27-Jan-13 17:45:55

rooney he won't take anything past his lips. Milkshake is his fave, offered him a spoon to lick it from even, tried carton fruit juice (apple, his fave) blueberries, ice cream, pasta, porridge, prawns! All his fave food. Even my last special chocolate.

Just got to keep trying. He has also stopped drinking his juice/water so that needs to be kept an eye on. Progress absolutely but not our woods yet.

rubyslippers Sun 27-Jan-13 17:42:30

It took about 36 hours after the last puke for DD to be recovered

And I agree ots horrid - my DD also spikes very high fevers which are scary

heronsfly Sun 27-Jan-13 17:41:33

One of my dds could not tolerate too many doses of ibruprofen, it used to make her vomit, a real vicious circle because she had a couple of febrile convulsions and calpol never really seemed to work quick enough or for long enough,my gp told me that ibuprofen can be very harsh on little tummies, glad your ds seems to be on the mend.

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 17:41:09

and I'm glad you have finally got some respite!

PavlovtheCat Sun 27-Jan-13 17:40:56

I agree actually about dairy, prob good job he didn't drink milkshake! How long did it take for dd to recover ruby? It's so unpleasant isn't it? My dd has Ben so neglected this weekend. I promised her we will do something special when I am better myself.

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 17:40:32

oh I am so glad that he has perked up. I'd put money on it being his little throat. Hungry but can't eat makes me think that as well as the high temps.

He may need antibiotics if it's that so don't be worried about calling the oOH.

Also being hungry will make him fed up in itself - if you can get anything down him, just a looly to suck or something, it'll help. I think tonsillitis picks up quite quickly with the right A-bs x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now