Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2.5 year old almost no weight gain in 6 months??

(5 Posts)
dribbleface Sun 27-Jan-13 20:34:18

DS1 was like this (but had some other symptoms that needed looking at), as it was he dropped from 50 centile to 9th over 12mths, now suddenly at 4.5yrs he has put on weight now almost back to 50th centile. I am very relieved.

Don't worry too much about it, my DS does this too. He is 6 and in the last 6 months he has grown 5cm and only put on half a kilo. He's now 99.6% for height and slightly over 50% for weight. I saw the practice nurse last week (for something unrelated to this) and asked her about it then. She said he looked fine, was healthy and had loads of energy. Nothing to be concerned about, as they're all different, and tend to do things in spurts. Perfectly normal IMO.

SamSmalaidh Sat 26-Jan-13 21:22:25

Thanks, good to know it can be normal. I would have expected him to gain weight as well as height though!

5madthings Sat 26-Jan-13 16:13:53

Mine at this age either didn't gain or actually lost a bit if weight. They were just more active but grew lengthwise.

If heis otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry just keep an eye on him.

SamSmalaidh Sat 26-Jan-13 16:12:19

I have a 2.5 year old DS. I weighed and measured him today and he is 11.8kg and 92 cm - this puts him under the 25th centile for weight and over the 50th for height.

Looking back to last time I weighed and measured him when he was 2 years, he was also 11.8kg and 88cm - I weighed him naked today and possibly weighed him in pyjamas/light clothes last time so he may have gained a very small amount. He is continuing on the same centile for height though of course has dropped on weight.

Is this lack of weight gain normal? He is not a huge eater, fairly fussy (no veg) and rarely asks for food, but seems healthy and active.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now