Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Eczema - any advice?

(164 Posts)
HouseOfBears Wed 23-Jan-13 07:21:37

My DD (5 months) has terrible eczema on her face - it's like an open wound, all raw and weepy, with crusty and flaky patches. It's so sore poor baby. We have had antibiotics, steroid cream, use emollient in the bath and apply Aveeno moisturiser often throughout the day but nothing has helped. We've been referred to a dermatologist, but in the meantime does anyone have any advice or suggestions for how to help?

chilli273 Sat 18-Jan-14 21:03:19

There is a sleeping bag called Bamboo Bubby that has been specifically designed for babies with eczema - the material is amazing and soft so as not to be abrasive like cotton - it helps babies sleep because they can't scratch their eczema - It's an Australian product - but available on amazon UK just recently.

Busybee163 Mon 25-Nov-13 15:18:44

Not a big fan of steroids TBH. I'm one of those hippie mums because I do love a good natural remedy. After some research I came across a cute lil blog about natural remedies. Coconut oil is a firm favourite as it is a natural antiseptic and me and DH frequently use it as mouthwash! Here's the blog smile Happy reading www.scratchsleeves.co.uk/parenting-plus-eczema/top-tips-eczema-parents/natural-remedies-for-baby-eczema/

Nosleepnotme Mon 25-Nov-13 13:35:15

Hi All, My 5 year old has been going through the same.

Sadly I don't think many doctors know what causes eczema and they keep giving us steroid creams too. My friend recommended a new product which is 98% natural and claims to be "as gentle as water". She managed to get a few samples from a trade show.

This new cream is called Dry2Alive and its supposed to be from birth so, I tried it on my 5 year old and has worked better for us than the others. She seemed to sleep better at night. She normally wakes up a few times itching. This has helped at lot.

I ordered another one online and is made in the UK and looks really good. The scent is v light and my DD loves it. She hates anything too strong.

Its called Dry2Alive and the website is www.dry2alive.com.

Let me know if it helps!

LucyPennington Thu 17-Oct-13 11:20:52

Hi everyone,

I was just reading through and saw lots of you mentioning Aveeno was working for you. I saw this page the other day and I thought it might be worth mentioning in case any one was thinking about trying it. It looks like there's two similar trials running at the same time - one is for Aveeno and one is something called Salcura - could be worth a shot as it is free!

Hope it helps some of you smile

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/freebies/partner_surveys.php

apple21 Tue 15-Oct-13 16:08:47

Hey Everyone,
I read all these comments, Im in the same boat...
I have a 4 years old, she has a really bad eczema. Its itchy, bleeding, its dry, its just painful for her and for me as well, watching my little one struggling.
We recently try a 100% natural treatment, the salt cave. Its unbelievable! After 5 sessions the redness gone and the healing process been starting. Its not bleeding now at all! Im so pleased that we tried i can recommend for everyone!
http://www.saltcave.co.uk/

roberthenry12 Fri 20-Sep-13 23:29:18

I usually recommend a cream for eczema to all my friends and acquaintances and most of them (not all) get rid of the eczema hope that will also help you ...... you can find that cream here goo.gl/UPvJp . My humble request is ... please let me know if you get rid of that rigid eczema.
Keep smiling and be healthy! smile
Thanks smile

Busybee163 Mon 16-Sep-13 15:59:19

My little girl (3mnths) has terrible eczema and sometimes I feel so helpless that I can't make the itching stop! But I've been taking a few teaspoons of coconut oil a day and breastfeeding her as normal. Apparently, the nutrients from the coconut oil, when ingested, soothe eczema. I've seen a little bit of a result...and I'm still bathing her in the prescription stuff. I've been trawling the web and I came across this site which covers a lot of the problems we've been facing. Hope it helps everyone too smile www.scratchsleeves.co.uk/parenting-plus-eczema/category/daily-life-living-with-eczema/

Busybee163 Mon 16-Sep-13 15:58:02

My little girl (3mnths) has terrible eczema and sometimes I feel so helpless that I can't make the itching stop! But I've been taking a few teaspoons of coconut oil a day and breastfeeding her as normal. Apparently, the nutrients from the coconut oil, when ingested, soothe eczema. I've seen a little bit of a result...and I'm still bathing her in the prescription stuff. I've been trawling the web and I came across this site which covers a lot of the problems we've been facing. Hope it helps everyone too smile http://www.scratchsleeves.co.uk/parenting-plus-eczema/category/daily-life-living-with-eczema/

MarcieMom Fri 31-May-13 04:25:59

Hi!

Yes, out of the eczema diet related studies, probiotics is the one most supported by studies. I gave my eczema toddler probiotics too, but it's so expensive, I didn't give it daily.

Tub version is usually for thicker cream too, so suitable for those living in dry, winter season. We live in Singapore, and usually use lotion in the day and cream at night.

Also be mindful of what not to eat, as fast food has been linked with more severe eczema, did a comb through of all pubmed studies and summarized below
eczemablues.com/2013/04/eczema-and-diet-studies/

Hope it'd save time of other mothers pouring through the same subject!
Mei of EczemaBlues

Julia1987 Tue 28-May-13 22:06:50

Just wanted to share this information with mums who struggle with their babies eczema
My baby ds is 7m old and he has had eczema since 3m Dry skin is one problem but what concerned and upset me the most was weeping wounds he had on his face and behind knees He had outbreaks almost every 2 days. Steroid cream dried it but as soon as i stopped they were red and weeping again I read a lot about eczema and realized that it mainly comes from inside either immune system is weak or its connected with digestive system So i found article about trying to boost baby's immune system by giving them probiotics live friendly bacteria for gut. I decided to try, i got Optibax for children it can be given from 6m old its in sachets . I started 2 weeks ago and since then my son doesn't have weeping wounds his knees completely cleared, i am sure its probiotics am giving him as i haven't changed anything else. I am so happy and hope it will get only better. It might not work for everybody but definitely worth a try. Also can recommend Epaderm Cream (can get on prescription) for dry skin, I like it most from all the creams i tried, i prefer it to tub version as its more hygienic as its in bottle with a pump.

Hope my post helps.

Mika1 Sat 30-Mar-13 20:29:54

Hi,
I just wanted to put something out there which may be of help to you.

My little one ( now 7 months old) had terrible eczema too, which covered most of his body and areas around the face, head and torso where affected most with weeping sores. We tried every cream that was available including cortisone but nothing seemed to work. I was recommended by another mum to check out a special clothing range named DermaSilk (dermasilk.co.uk) which is also available on prescription (yes you can get it from your GP!!). It has been few days now that my little one is wearing a silk facial mask and body suit and the itching (especially at night) has stopped. It seems too good to be true but this is the only thing that worked for us. The material has antibacterial properties too and feel soothing on the skin and therefore we are using less emollients. I now use only the body balm from Neils Yard as it has only natural ingredients.

I am amazed how this has changed our lives - we have now a happy baby that is able to play and is not preoccupied with scratching himself constantly, and his sleep pattern has also improved dramatically.

StillRockin Sat 16-Mar-13 09:27:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

enormouse Thu 07-Mar-13 16:22:18

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but scratchsleeves are brilliant to stop the little one from scratching and picking at eczema.

lrussell Thu 07-Mar-13 16:17:25

I have came across a great skin care line that is working wonders on people's eczema. It's a product that anyone can use and its all natural. I don't suffer from eczema but my friends son does and his is all gone. If you are interested just send me a e-mail at russell_tleanne@hotmail.com and I will give you the information.

spudpudding Fri 25-Jan-13 11:24:13

yes discoid excema appeared at approx 6 months really bad and weepy on face and body very uosetting. Once I got the crem that worked for us and saw a fab dermatologist we got in under control, as has been said find what works for you. The patches move around the body and he would very often got bad ones on his shoulder blades and shins. Started to clear at around age 4 and as I said is now almost non existent. At it's worst we had to give oral antihistamine just so he could get some sleep as he wanted to scratch. The antibiotics made things worse as this just gave him a runny tummy. I think avoiding parabens and SLS helps - I use natural stuff from the health food store - good luck and keep on until you get the right help and find what works.

zeetaj Fri 25-Jan-13 10:33:30

I have seen some fab results using the arbonne abc baby range in children and adults. I have a personal testimonal from a mum who tried everything for her DD and was amazed at the results. The products are free of mineral oil and chemical nasties and are available on a try before you buy and also a 45day money back guarantee. PM me if you would like any more info.

funwithgrandma Fri 25-Jan-13 09:52:39

My DD who is now 31 had eczema as a baby, so I really appreciate how stressful this is for you and how helpless and frustrated you can feel. What worked for us was homeopathic treatment. Our GP agreed to refer us to the Royal Homeopathic Hospital in London - now called the Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine, you can google RLHIM. They have a skin clinic and it's staffed by doctors and registered complementary pracititioners. If you don't live near London or would prefer it you can see a homeopath near you privately. Please make sure you see someone who is qualified and registered with a professional body - I suggest the website of the Society of Homeopaths, or the Alliance of Registered Homeopaths.This isn't something you would hope to treat from a self-help book. Personally I was so impressed with homeopathy that I trained and qualified as a homeopath myself. Good luck, I hope this helps.

liveinazoo Fri 25-Jan-13 09:02:07

ive not had time to read the whole thread and i apologise in advance if these ideas have already been suggested
take a cloth and ad handful porridge oats.secure them in with an elastic band.run warm bath,no products in it and swish the cloth in it til water turns opaque.squeeze cloth and then dab gently to wash your little one
this helped my eldest dd when her eczema was horrendous.wet wraps are amazing on severe body eczema.if its any consolation hers has improved dramatically as she has got older

Eggsmummy Fri 25-Jan-13 01:25:57

I know you've already had lots of advice but I thought I'd throw my experience in too! My eldest has always suffered with excema but developed really bad dermatitus on her hand duringbher first year at school. Nothing prescription helped it and it was cracked, weeping and painful. I came across a product called BRIA that is available online from the lady that makes it (give it a google). It's quite expensive, about £12 for a small jar I think, but my daughters hands were clear after 2weeks after nearly a year of suffering! We've cut any contact with SLS and it's currently not returned :-) Hope your little one gets better soon x

FrameyMcFrame Fri 25-Jan-13 00:29:14

porridge oats in the tied up tights into the bath was a tip I got from MN in the first place. It works amazingly well!

VenusRising Thu 24-Jan-13 23:53:21

Sorry should have said 'diet related' refers to me as the breast feeding mother - my diet made a difference to the ebf babe's skin.

VenusRising Thu 24-Jan-13 23:51:20

Our experience was that it was diet related.

Calcium is best absorbed from green vegetables, not dairy.

Why don't you try an dairy free diet and then see?

So sorry your GP isn't more with it and helpful for you. Push for a paediatric dietitian and testing as well as the dermo.

Rockinhippy and girlsoutnumbered have some very good tips, as have others. We useMooGoo and it works very well.

Best of luck with it, sometimes after the damage is done, the excema "disappears" only to present as asthma later on, so best to nip this as soon as possible.

BoffinMum Thu 24-Jan-13 23:46:54

My DD had terrible eczema and we saw David Atherton at GOSH. He suggested a low dose steroid in vaseline (Pharmacist makes it up according to a prescription). You put it on a nighttime, with a hot wet bandage on top and a dry one on top of that and it works fantastically well. She healed and there was no scarring.

Now she is an adult so she controls it all via diet - basically a vegan diet plus the odd steak works to keep the eczema at bay.

imsorryihaventaclue Thu 24-Jan-13 23:46:51

I would echo what many other posters have said - it seems that you just have to work through until you find products and a regime that work for you. You will find this eventually...

My dd, now 4, had terrible eczema, exacerbated by warm weather but is now much better. Bathing less often really helped her and aveeno works well for her (tried a lot of others and can't get aveeno on prescription here as too expensive apparently).

When my ds (now 1) also developed eczema aged about 4 months I thought I would know exactly what to do but what worked on dd did not work for him. I was at my wits end until I finally found a helpful GP who took an interest. A regime of frequent applications of double base (surely one of the nicest to use emollients ever) With occasional hydrocortisone to bring it back under control when he gets an occasional flare up has pretty much cleared his skin (although I am dreading the warmer weather). Whilst I think the food argument is interesting, both mine developed eczema when they were being totally breast-fed.

neolara Thu 24-Jan-13 22:27:34

spudpudding - Can I ask how long it took your for ds's discoid eczema to clear? I'm pretty sure my dd has got this now. I've been putting betnovate on it from about 24 hours after it appeared so it never got really bad. I appled it twice a day for 10 days, stopped for 24 hours and it was very noticeably back. Having googled, it looks like it's a bugger to get rid of.

Re allergies and peanut butter, an anecdote. My SIL has 4 kids. She ate peanut butter when pregnant with 3 of them. When pregnant with the other child, she scrupulously avoided peanuts but it was this child who went on to develop a peanut allergy. I, on the other hand, have 3 kids. I avoided peanut butter when pregnant with two of them and ate peanut butter sandwiches obsessively with the other. The one who got peanuts in utero ended up with a peanut allergy. I think it's mostly just genetics as I have other family members with nut and other allergies. I suspect people are much more aware these days and get proper diagnosis and that accounts for a lot of the increase incidence of allergies. For example, I recently discovered a cousin had a peanut allergy, although she wouldn't describe it as such. She says peanut just make her mouth itch and throat swell so she avoids them. She hasn't seen a doctor about it and doesn't carry an epipen. My SIL also won't eat hazelnuts for the same reason and she hasn't seen a doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now