Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Eczema - any advice?

(164 Posts)
HouseOfBears Wed 23-Jan-13 07:21:37

My DD (5 months) has terrible eczema on her face - it's like an open wound, all raw and weepy, with crusty and flaky patches. It's so sore poor baby. We have had antibiotics, steroid cream, use emollient in the bath and apply Aveeno moisturiser often throughout the day but nothing has helped. We've been referred to a dermatologist, but in the meantime does anyone have any advice or suggestions for how to help?

lrussell Thu 07-Mar-13 16:17:25

I have came across a great skin care line that is working wonders on people's eczema. It's a product that anyone can use and its all natural. I don't suffer from eczema but my friends son does and his is all gone. If you are interested just send me a e-mail at russell_tleanne@hotmail.com and I will give you the information.

enormouse Thu 07-Mar-13 16:22:18

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but scratchsleeves are brilliant to stop the little one from scratching and picking at eczema.

StillRockin Sat 16-Mar-13 09:27:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mika1 Sat 30-Mar-13 20:29:54

Hi,
I just wanted to put something out there which may be of help to you.

My little one ( now 7 months old) had terrible eczema too, which covered most of his body and areas around the face, head and torso where affected most with weeping sores. We tried every cream that was available including cortisone but nothing seemed to work. I was recommended by another mum to check out a special clothing range named DermaSilk (dermasilk.co.uk) which is also available on prescription (yes you can get it from your GP!!). It has been few days now that my little one is wearing a silk facial mask and body suit and the itching (especially at night) has stopped. It seems too good to be true but this is the only thing that worked for us. The material has antibacterial properties too and feel soothing on the skin and therefore we are using less emollients. I now use only the body balm from Neils Yard as it has only natural ingredients.

I am amazed how this has changed our lives - we have now a happy baby that is able to play and is not preoccupied with scratching himself constantly, and his sleep pattern has also improved dramatically.

Julia1987 Tue 28-May-13 22:06:50

Just wanted to share this information with mums who struggle with their babies eczema
My baby ds is 7m old and he has had eczema since 3m Dry skin is one problem but what concerned and upset me the most was weeping wounds he had on his face and behind knees He had outbreaks almost every 2 days. Steroid cream dried it but as soon as i stopped they were red and weeping again I read a lot about eczema and realized that it mainly comes from inside either immune system is weak or its connected with digestive system So i found article about trying to boost baby's immune system by giving them probiotics live friendly bacteria for gut. I decided to try, i got Optibax for children it can be given from 6m old its in sachets . I started 2 weeks ago and since then my son doesn't have weeping wounds his knees completely cleared, i am sure its probiotics am giving him as i haven't changed anything else. I am so happy and hope it will get only better. It might not work for everybody but definitely worth a try. Also can recommend Epaderm Cream (can get on prescription) for dry skin, I like it most from all the creams i tried, i prefer it to tub version as its more hygienic as its in bottle with a pump.

Hope my post helps.

MarcieMom Fri 31-May-13 04:25:59

Hi!

Yes, out of the eczema diet related studies, probiotics is the one most supported by studies. I gave my eczema toddler probiotics too, but it's so expensive, I didn't give it daily.

Tub version is usually for thicker cream too, so suitable for those living in dry, winter season. We live in Singapore, and usually use lotion in the day and cream at night.

Also be mindful of what not to eat, as fast food has been linked with more severe eczema, did a comb through of all pubmed studies and summarized below
eczemablues.com/2013/04/eczema-and-diet-studies/

Hope it'd save time of other mothers pouring through the same subject!
Mei of EczemaBlues

Busybee163 Mon 16-Sep-13 15:58:02

My little girl (3mnths) has terrible eczema and sometimes I feel so helpless that I can't make the itching stop! But I've been taking a few teaspoons of coconut oil a day and breastfeeding her as normal. Apparently, the nutrients from the coconut oil, when ingested, soothe eczema. I've seen a little bit of a result...and I'm still bathing her in the prescription stuff. I've been trawling the web and I came across this site which covers a lot of the problems we've been facing. Hope it helps everyone too smile http://www.scratchsleeves.co.uk/parenting-plus-eczema/category/daily-life-living-with-eczema/

Busybee163 Mon 16-Sep-13 15:59:19

My little girl (3mnths) has terrible eczema and sometimes I feel so helpless that I can't make the itching stop! But I've been taking a few teaspoons of coconut oil a day and breastfeeding her as normal. Apparently, the nutrients from the coconut oil, when ingested, soothe eczema. I've seen a little bit of a result...and I'm still bathing her in the prescription stuff. I've been trawling the web and I came across this site which covers a lot of the problems we've been facing. Hope it helps everyone too smile www.scratchsleeves.co.uk/parenting-plus-eczema/category/daily-life-living-with-eczema/

roberthenry12 Fri 20-Sep-13 23:29:18

I usually recommend a cream for eczema to all my friends and acquaintances and most of them (not all) get rid of the eczema hope that will also help you ...... you can find that cream here goo.gl/UPvJp . My humble request is ... please let me know if you get rid of that rigid eczema.
Keep smiling and be healthy! smile
Thanks smile

apple21 Tue 15-Oct-13 16:08:47

Hey Everyone,
I read all these comments, Im in the same boat...
I have a 4 years old, she has a really bad eczema. Its itchy, bleeding, its dry, its just painful for her and for me as well, watching my little one struggling.
We recently try a 100% natural treatment, the salt cave. Its unbelievable! After 5 sessions the redness gone and the healing process been starting. Its not bleeding now at all! Im so pleased that we tried i can recommend for everyone!
http://www.saltcave.co.uk/

LucyPennington Thu 17-Oct-13 11:20:52

Hi everyone,

I was just reading through and saw lots of you mentioning Aveeno was working for you. I saw this page the other day and I thought it might be worth mentioning in case any one was thinking about trying it. It looks like there's two similar trials running at the same time - one is for Aveeno and one is something called Salcura - could be worth a shot as it is free!

Hope it helps some of you smile

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/freebies/partner_surveys.php

Nosleepnotme Mon 25-Nov-13 13:35:15

Hi All, My 5 year old has been going through the same.

Sadly I don't think many doctors know what causes eczema and they keep giving us steroid creams too. My friend recommended a new product which is 98% natural and claims to be "as gentle as water". She managed to get a few samples from a trade show.

This new cream is called Dry2Alive and its supposed to be from birth so, I tried it on my 5 year old and has worked better for us than the others. She seemed to sleep better at night. She normally wakes up a few times itching. This has helped at lot.

I ordered another one online and is made in the UK and looks really good. The scent is v light and my DD loves it. She hates anything too strong.

Its called Dry2Alive and the website is www.dry2alive.com.

Let me know if it helps!

Busybee163 Mon 25-Nov-13 15:18:44

Not a big fan of steroids TBH. I'm one of those hippie mums because I do love a good natural remedy. After some research I came across a cute lil blog about natural remedies. Coconut oil is a firm favourite as it is a natural antiseptic and me and DH frequently use it as mouthwash! Here's the blog smile Happy reading www.scratchsleeves.co.uk/parenting-plus-eczema/top-tips-eczema-parents/natural-remedies-for-baby-eczema/

chilli273 Sat 18-Jan-14 21:03:19

There is a sleeping bag called Bamboo Bubby that has been specifically designed for babies with eczema - the material is amazing and soft so as not to be abrasive like cotton - it helps babies sleep because they can't scratch their eczema - It's an Australian product - but available on amazon UK just recently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now