Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hallucinating and fever in 3yr old DD

(3 Posts)
drjohnsonscat Mon 21-Jan-13 15:32:23

My DD has this when she is unwell. Actually she is not really awake - hers are night terrors. She appears to be awake but is clearly hallucinating and not recognising anyone. It lasts for aoout half an hour each time. Absolutely terrifying the first time it happened but now I know what it is and I know to expect it when she is a little unwell.

DeWe Mon 21-Jan-13 15:24:48

I used to hallucinate with a fever, and dd1 did too. I remember one time she was absolutely terrified of a cat's tail that apparently was in the kitchen. It's just something that happened when she had a fever. When the fever went, she stopped hallucinating.

Last night DD (3) was hallucinating and had fever.
It was really awful. She woke up countless times screaming about monsters and spiders, saying she could see them on the walls, on my shoulder and in the bed. She would be grabbing for things that weren't there and she was scared. Really scared. TBH so was I.

She had her booster vaccinations 2 weeks ago and they said that she might have a reaction to them, but this was excessive. Not sure if they are related?

This morning she is fine. No fever, no cough or runny nose. Just a little tired and off her food.

Any one have any experience of this? Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now