Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD age 7 - trouble with odour

(7 Posts)

Although DD showers regularly she suffers with odour badly around her private parts. I've taught her how to wash properly and am starting to worry the odour is not normal. Has anyone out there got any experience with this issue?

Is it only round her 'bits' or does she have general body odour too? Like from her armpits, I mean. If so, it can possibly be a sign of early puberty, and you'd probably need to check with your doctor.

If it's only her private parts that smell, when you say 'wash properly', can you be a bit more specific - i.e. do you mean a good scrub with soap and water, does she use a flannel/sponge, does she wash every day.

frazzledbutcalm Mon 21-Jan-13 10:37:29

My dd (age 9) also has this problem. I try to put her in the bath every day, but sometimes it doesn't always work out! Obviously she changes her underwear every day but I find if she wears a pair of trousers (ie school trousers) for 2 or 3 days in a row they also smell down there sad She also suffers from bad breath, teeth/gums are fine so we have no idea what the problem is. At times she also had just a general unusual smell to her. I've mentioned to the GP about a condition called trimethylaminuria but was told there's no cure so they don't even bother testing for it angry I need to speak further with GP really as kids at school can be quite unkind these days. Watching this thread with the hope of some miracle cure! Or even just great advice!

Oopslateagain - dd does have smelly feet but other than that it seems to be in her private area. Dd showers daily with a scruchie and I've taught her how to clean the intricate area. Maybe a bath would be better.

*frazzledbutcalm - Gosh it sounds like you have a worry. Now that you mention it occasionally I've thought my DD has a unique smell to her. DD also suffers bad breath although lately she has been using Boots own brand mouthwash and flossing sticks which has really helped. I've bought deodorant which she is using and I think it's a case of showering daily and making sure she does it properly. If it continues I think I'll take her to our GP. I hope you find some solution and I too will be keeping an eye on this thread for any advice.

frazzledbutcalm Wed 23-Jan-13 22:15:47

I definitely prefer bath to shower for dd, I just feel because her 'bits' are submerged in the bath water then they're getting cleaned thoroughly. I don't think a shower cleans them as well at that age. You might be making things worse by washing down there too much, too vigorously or with too much soap ... overwashing can cause equally bad problems as underwashing...

MammyKaz Thu 24-Jan-13 08:32:04

Have you thought about some kind of fungal infection, perhaps in the gut such as candida? I'm not 100% sure but think if the balance isn't right in the gut it can affect breath. Does she have a coating on her tongue?
If its something like this then probiotic (tablets not yogurts), cutting out sugar & yeast for a while should help.

frazzledbutcalm Thu 24-Jan-13 20:20:40

No coating on her tongue. I'm convinced it's in the stomach, but it's getting GP to agree wink
We're busy with throat problems and blood tests at the moment. Throat problems are recent, her bad breath has always been there. I feel like she has a few things going on and it's a case of getting one sorted before moving on to the next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now