Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Press ups for six year olds

(8 Posts)
fluffywhitekittens Thu 17-Jan-13 22:22:31

Dd has recently started a Gymnastics class. Her "homework" is to be able to do five press ups.
I've had a google of how to teach press ups as I don't want her doing them incorrectly and getting into bad habits/causing herself an injury.

Has anyone got any teaching tips? Should she start with a basic plank position or press ups against a wall or on her knees?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post either or if there's a section on children's exercise that I haven't found?

fluffywhitekittens Fri 18-Jan-13 08:09:42

Anyone?

flossyfloo Fri 18-Jan-13 08:11:51

Can't give you an answer sorry, but you could try posting this in extra-curricular activities, someone there with a gymnast child may be able to help smile

fluffywhitekittens Fri 18-Jan-13 13:17:35

Good idea Flossy, thanks

OrchidFlakes Fri 18-Jan-13 20:07:07

When I was a personal trainer we started teaching in a box position - knees under hips hands shoulder width apart for good form. Once the upper body technique looked good - neck aligned shoulders and arms always 'soft' and not locked we extended the legs so the shins were in the ground along with the knees but the knees now further out in a more traditional press up position. Once form was established and maintained there we then progressed them onto their toes.

I hope that helps smile

fluffywhitekittens Sun 20-Jan-13 21:36:59

Thank you Orchid smile

sannaville Mon 21-Jan-13 09:34:45

Yes start in a box position. My dd1 has been doing taekwondo since age 4 and is very fit and muscular but even now at 8.7 she can only do about 13 proper press ups correctly before her arms give out so don't expect too much too soon. Try her with box press ups and once she gets hang of them try and teach her to do just 1 correct press up rather than 10 rubbish press ups

fluffywhitekittens Wed 23-Jan-13 21:25:51

Thanks Sannaville. I've tried to explain how one good one is better than five rubbish ones... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now