Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Support needed wheezy baby

(31 Posts)
charitymum Thu 03-Jan-13 00:27:20

Waiting for doc. Had week of DS with viral wheeze. He's on steroids and inhaler. He is five months and had slight chesty issues since birth.

Breathing now faster-50 and very flemmy and cough. Tug under chin. Sleeping from drive but been nightmare for let few hours constantly agitating and coughing and wheezing.

Very scared for my DS. Need some tlc and any thoughts from people who have more experience than me.

charitymum Fri 04-Jan-13 08:12:37

They let us take him home yesterday but I took him back middle of night as he was having to work too hard.sats of 95 on admission but dropped to 80 at 4. Now low 90s with 02. Help

TheTiger Fri 04-Jan-13 08:21:12

Sounds like bronchiolitis, it tends to get worse between days 4-7 and then improve, but the coughing and runny nose etc can last a couple of weeks!

Is his cot tilted upright? Is he having saline nebulisers? He should be feeding little and often, not taking big feeds to fill his tummy as it puts extra pressure on the lungs.

It's a horrible illness, but he will get better! Get someone to bring you some supplies to make your stay a little conifer, hope he gets better soon.

Sirzy Fri 04-Jan-13 08:21:40

That's quite normal for things to get worse before they get better. Try not to worry the oxygen will give his body the extra support it needs to recover

gussiegrips Sat 05-Jan-13 01:38:40

Sorry to have missed your post, really, really sorry.

First of all - relax.

The littlies who have real problems are the ones without an oximeter reading what their sats are at.

What might, possibly, perhaps, happen is that you need a second line of defence - more steroids, more antibiotics, a bit of magnesium, a bit of supplementary feeding...all of which WILL happen in hospital, should you need it.

Seriously. Try and relax.

Don't ask just MN for advice. You are sitting on a ward. Tell your named nurse that you feel a bit wobbly with this situation - that would be a normal reaction to a very stressful situation. You are not an inexperienced mum with a PFB, you've dealt with poorly babies - but not like this. It is the ward's JOB to look after you too, keep you informed and up to date.

What I am saying is, ask MN for stuff. But, don't let the ward staff assume you now waht's goinjg on - I'm an old hand at this (worse luck~) and the truth is, ask and you get.

speaking of which, hv e you eaten?

You gotta look after yourself - no other bugger will.

--apart from us, but keep it quiet-

<hug>

charitymum Sat 05-Jan-13 13:42:13

Thanks gussiegrips. It is scary. Mum of 4 - dealt with loads but watching such a little one struggling for breath horrid. What is situation with your little one?

They have just let us go home again as he held sats at 95 without 02 for couple of hours and apparently "I'm a sensible calm mum". Ha ha ha.

He's noisily asleep but relatively peaceful. I think I just have to steal myself for the longhaul as this been a weakness since birth.

gussiegrips Sat 05-Jan-13 18:55:42

Three kids, two of them asthmatic.

Middley got RSV and bronchiolitis at about 10 weeks old, was very poorly indeed for about a week. He's got brittle asthma - the kind where you get very poorly very quickly.

The chronic management is excellent, he's as active as any of his peers and totally symptom free.

The acute management is guff - if he gets a virus his lungs just seize up. And, 7 year old boys get a lot of viruses. Happily, we live 20 mins away from the Sick Kids - and the treatment is very effective. We're usually in for two or three nights, then home on a protocol because us sensible calm mum's can cope!

It is the most terrifying thing, particularly when they are so small. It's way more scary than blood and guts - but, you get used to it and it becomes predictable after a while.

Most kids grow out of it, mine's certainly now never as poorly as he was when he was tiny.

Having said all that - 4 kids a day die of asthma in the UK. These are the kids who aren't spotted as struggling, it can be quite subtle and easy to miss if you don't know what you are looking for. The treatments are absolutely brilliant, but if they get help late, well, outcomes aren't so good.

So, I am absolutely compliant with his meds, and he's very au fait with what he should be doing. School have been great, make sure he's doing his inhalers but without making him feel like there's Something Wrong With Him.

We're in it for the long haul too - but, on the upside, the treatment works, the treatments are practically side effect free, once the drug balance is right they are symptom free, everyone knows about asthma, and we are lucky enough to live somewhere where help is available and free.

If I'm feeling despondent on a noisy ward, having yet another sleepless night, that makes me count my blessings.

Look after yourself and get some rest. Another two or three days and you'll be right as rain - but, if you are worried, go straight back to A+E.

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now